News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"North/South" or "East/West" roads that extend past 10000 in both directions

Started by KCRoadFan, June 01, 2023, 01:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about Colfax Avenue in Denver, regarding just how long it is and the wide range of addresses that it covers along its run - starting at the aptly named Origin Hotel at 18485 West Colfax in Golden, at the junction with I-70 near Red Rocks, then steadily decreasing through Lakewood and the west side of Denver until reaching the baseline at Broadway downtown, at which point it becomes East Colfax and the numbers start going up again - all the way to the Stafford Logistics Center at 20500 East Colfax in Aurora, just before the merge onto I-70 eastbound. All told, Colfax Avenue covers the equivalent of 390 blocks - and that doesn't even account for the series of roads that continue the Colfax name through Watkins, Bennett, and Strasburg, which take the addresses up to about 50000!

That made me wonder: of all the many thousands of streets and roads throughout the country that are divided into prefixed "North" and "South" or "East" and "West" sections, with the addresses going up from 0 or 100 at their city's baseline, where might some others be in which the addresses on that road extend past 10000 - that is, the equivalent of 100 blocks - on both sides of the baseline, and what might some of the longest such roads be, aside from Colfax in Denver? I believe that Central Avenue in Albuquerque also goes into five-digit territory on both its West and East sections, and I'm pretty sure that places like Oklahoma City and Tulsa - cities that are located on a flat plain and that can expand in practically any direction - are also prime contenders for many such roads. Anyway, I'm looking forward to finding out more!

Scott5114

You're right to guess that pretty much every major street in OKC goes past 10000. The only limits on the street grid are when it runs into another municipality or county that uses a different addressing scheme.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Southeast MD addresses use huge numbers for some unknown reason to me.  See Mechanicsville.  Still, they don't decrease to single digits.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zachary_amaryllis

I was trying to come up with a Fort Collins related example, but the closest I could come up with is that Mulberrry (co 14) is known as Mulberry well into Weld County, and the furthest address I could find that still says Mulberry is like 85xx east.

Greeley might have a street like that. I know 10th street comes way out past 10000, but not sure if it extends eastward like that.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Hobart

This one's only an honorable mention, but Harlem Avenue in Cook and Will counties extends to about 30200 South just north of Peotone, Illinois, and a mile north of 9600 North (Golf Road) in Glenview.

If Glenview used the Chicago numbering system, Harlem extends far enough north to each 10400 North, but Glenview uses their own numbering system. Rural Will County, on the other hand, still uses Chicago's numbering system, which is why it extends so far south. There's also the interesting phenomenon that Harlem Avenue skirts Oak Park, meaning there are some Harlem Avenue addresses that don't even use Chicago's numbering system around the point where it passes 0 north.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

GaryV

Telegraph Road in Oakland and Wayne Counties has numbers into the 5 digits both north and south in the Detroit address system. But I'm not sure if it's common to refer to them as XXXXX North Telegraph or YYYYY South Telegraph.

zzcarp

Another Metro Denver example is Wadsworth. It begins in the south at Lockheed Martin at 12257 S Wadsworth Blvd and goes up to basically 12000 N Wadsworth in Broomfield, though the last Wadsworth address is 10190 N Wadsworth in Westminster.
So many miles and so many roads

ran4sh

I wonder if there's an example of this in a part of the country that wasn't surveyed under the PLSS (e.g. East Coast, etc)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

elsmere241

Sussex County, Delaware uses a system where the origin is given the last five digits of the state plane coordinates for that point, and then the number increases by one every ten feet, so that one mile along the road is numbered 528 higher.  Surrounding counties in Delaware and Maryland (but not New Castle County, DE) may do something similar.

Occidental Tourist

Sepulveda Blvd in Los Angeles does this.  10000 S by the airport where it crosses into El Segundo to 11000+ N near Sylmar.  There is a portion of the southern section that crosses out of LA into Culver City and then back into LA but it maintains the numbering continuity.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bickendan

Portland has only three candidates, and all three fail:
N/NE Lombard St - 10600 N (west) to 7000 NE (east)
W/E Burnside St/Dr - 6700 W to approximately 25500 SE (it's fully within Gresham's overlapping address grid when it meets US 26)
NE/SE 82nd Ave/Dr - approximately 7500 NE (north) to 178000 SE (south) before Gladstone's address grid takes over

Honorable mention: SE Division St/Dr - 300 SE (west) to 31300 SE (east), while also switching to Gresham's grid as it passes through (switching to NW and NE Division before going back to SE)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.