News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Those "low clearance" signs are there for a reason...

Started by hbelkins, July 12, 2011, 12:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykotyk

And that is your contribution to the discussion? Pointing out a typo?

NE2

More like making you look like a fool :)

By the way, it's not a typo if you deliberately type 'wreckless'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Sykotyk

no, it's a typo because when you're truly typing you don't think of which letters your fingers are about to type, your mind simply corresponds the word to rapid finger movement. Unfortunately, 'wreck' being a much more common word to type, your mind corresponds the similar-sounding  first syllable of another word the same. Same reason why I typo 'the' and 'they' interchangeably a lot.

Attack the messenger, not the message.

vdeane

I generally don't care enough about typos to post anything on them, but in this case it was amusing.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Sykotyk

No prob. And as a comment, I was in a pissy mood last night when I posted. No general offense taken. We've all gaffed before. And I'm certain to gaffe again. I'm just generally tired on the grammar nazi crowd, even when not directed at me.

citrus

About a year ago, I was in upstate NY heading south on NY 96 in Owego. There's a low rail bridge there with an advance clearance sign, and next to it, I could swear there was a small sign off to the side saying "Actual clearance <1 foot higher>" (I don't remember the actual numbers here). I can't find it on Street View, so maybe I'm just making things up, but I thought it was hilarious at the time.

Sykotyk

Quote from: citrus on July 21, 2011, 11:34:21 PM
About a year ago, I was in upstate NY heading south on NY 96 in Owego. There's a low rail bridge there with an advance clearance sign, and next to it, I could swear there was a small sign off to the side saying "Actual clearance <1 foot higher>" (I don't remember the actual numbers here). I can't find it on Street View, so maybe I'm just making things up, but I thought it was hilarious at the time.

That's New York. Unless the sign says "Actual Height" the actual height is one foot higher than posted.  If an advisory clearance sign has an "A" after the height, it's actual. Otherwise, there's a green sign after the yellow sign signifying the actual height.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.