News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State Suffixed Highways

Started by DrZoidberg, February 25, 2009, 08:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tidecat

Quote from: bugo on June 14, 2015, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: bugo on February 28, 2009, 05:58:26 PM
Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 25, 2009, 11:46:23 PM
I guess I should've been a bit more specific. Are there other "directional" suffixed state highways? N,S,E,W that are split alignments of one highway?

Arkansas has a 58E (which used to be US 62/63) but no 58W.  AR 1 used to split into 1E and 1W at Paragould.  There is also an unsigned AR 23W in Madison County, but no 23E.

And now 23W is signed:

That being located in Madison County makes that wrong on so many levels, as Huntsville, Alabama is the seat of Madison County, Alabama.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

noelbotevera

Quote from: tidecat on June 14, 2015, 02:36:43 PM

Quote from: bugo on June 14, 2015, 02:22:20 PM
Quote from: bugo on February 28, 2009, 05:58:26 PM
Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 25, 2009, 11:46:23 PM
I guess I should've been a bit more specific. Are there other "directional" suffixed state highways? N,S,E,W that are split alignments of one highway?

Arkansas has a 58E (which used to be US 62/63) but no 58W.  AR 1 used to split into 1E and 1W at Paragould.  There is also an unsigned AR 23W in Madison County, but no 23E.

And now 23W is signed:

That being located in Madison County makes that wrong on so many levels, as Huntsville, Alabama is the seat of Madison County, Alabama.
Make that Alabam! They forgot the 'a' in 'Alabama' (last a).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Kacie Jane

Not sure who's being facetious here and who's not.  But Huntsville, Arkansas is also the county seat of Madison County, Arkansas.  And Madison County, Arkansas is also home to a small town named Alabam, spelled correctly.

cl94

As previously mentioned, New York has a large amount of suffixes. A couple things of note:

*N, S, and W are sometimes (if not always) directional suffixes (i.e. NY 5S, NY 28N, US 9W)
*Most are loops from their parent, but a few spurs do exist
*NY 17K does not have either terminus at NY 17, but its WT is at Old NY 17.
*They tend to be more common east of I-81. Western New York only has a few, with NY 31 the only route with suffixed routes in any significant number.
*US 9 has the most children (10 current), followed by NY 12 and NY 17 (both 5). US 9 once had 7 more, while NY 17 had 6 more.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Kacie Jane

Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2015, 07:42:24 PM*N, S, and W are sometimes (if not always) directional suffixes (i.e. NY 5S, NY 28N, US 9W)

31E and 9N are both exceptions.  But whenever directional letters are used nonconsecutively, yes.

cl94

Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 15, 2015, 07:49:05 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2015, 07:42:24 PM*N, S, and W are sometimes (if not always) directional suffixes (i.e. NY 5S, NY 28N, US 9W)

31E and 9N are both exceptions.  But whenever directional letters are used nonconsecutively, yes.

Those were the main exceptions I was referring to (and why I did not say "E", as no current use of the letter is directional)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

Nevada does not have any suffixed routes.

However, several existed prior to the 1976 renumbering. There were a lot of ##A routes, although some B and C suffixed also existed as well. Most of the time, these were branch routes, but some could be quite long anyway (SR 8A ended up being probably three times as long, or more, than SR 8, and existed in two or three segments).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.