Autoroute 85 Status?

Started by ghYHZ, December 16, 2012, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

^ There isn't anything to update.  The segment that's finished is finished.  The section that doesn't yet exist, and is still R-185, still doesn't exist... there is no active construction ongoing.  If memory serves me, some tree clearing along some of the future corridor is planned this summer, but I'm not aware of any other work proposed.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Richard3

I just checked the MTQ site. About the remaining +/- 25 miles to build, from St-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha! north to St-Antonin, they show that technical (that means "non-definitive") schedule:

- Tree cutting works in 2017.
- Beginning of highway construction in 2018.
- Progressive section openings from 2021 to 2025.

On site, there's some surveyors since the snow finishes to melt.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Bluenoser

Quote from: Bluenoser on January 04, 2015, 02:23:24 PM
The signage for the Ave de la Madawaska exit is a bit unique...it's Exit 1 in Quebec heading NB and Exit 1 in New Brunswick going SB...at around km 2 NB, the sign uses the New Brunswick font for the street name, but also uses the Quebec exit symbol for the exit; on the SB side, the sign is around the km 2 mark as well, with Quebec's Clearview font used for the name of the road (and bilingual at that!), but with "EXIT/SORTIE 2km" in New Brunswick's font (also, Exit 1 isn't indicated until the exit for some reason)...

We now have a visual of the sign, thanks to Street View's visit in September:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.4766869,-68.4655093,3a,75y,284.94h,89.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skWaPn7eWAOD9SkOzd2MZ1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

SignGeek101

Quote from: Bluenoser on December 21, 2017, 10:57:37 AM
The signage for the Ave de la Madawaska exit is a bit unique...it's Exit 1 in Quebec heading NB and Exit 1 in New Brunswick going SB...at around km 2 NB, the sign uses the New Brunswick font for the street name, but also uses the Quebec exit symbol for the exit; on the SB side, the sign is around the km 2 mark as well, with Quebec's Clearview font used for the name of the road (and bilingual at that!), but with "EXIT/SORTIE 2km" in New Brunswick's font (also, Exit 1 isn't indicated until the exit for some reason)...

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.4766869,-68.4655093,3a,75y,284.94h,89.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skWaPn7eWAOD9SkOzd2MZ1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks for that. I wonder if the two signs were installed the wrong way, as in the current northbound sign should have been installed southbound and vice versa. Makes me wonder who made the signs and who installed them.

Alps

https://goo.gl/maps/FfCPHmDAJhp

vdeane

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 21, 2017, 08:20:50 PM

Thanks for that. I wonder if the two signs were installed the wrong way, as in the current northbound sign should have been installed southbound and vice versa. Makes me wonder who made the signs and who installed them.
Looks like their in the correct places to me.  SB the exit is in New Brunswick so it uses New Brunswick standards, and NB it's in Québec so it uses Québec standards.  It's understandable that each province doesn't have the other's font in their sign shops.  See also a similar situation on the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

The MTQ drawings set for the final bit of A-85 up to the New Brunswick border (MTQ contract 6501-11-0902) actually uses Series E Modified for the Avenue de la Madawaska exit (just "Avenue Madawaska" in the drawings) on the Québec side.

I suspect that when construction was being finalized, the drawings were overhauled and MTQ and its New Brunswick counterpart reached an agreement on how to deal with the elements of each province's respective exit for Avenue de la Madawaska that are in the other's jurisdiction.  Given that New Brunswick uses external exit tabs while Québec does not, I think each province undertook to fabricate all of the advance guide signs for its own exit but in the other province's typeface for the signs that are situated in the other province.  Each sign, regardless of who fabricated it, is mounted on the type of post that is standard for the province in which it is located.  (Québec uses I-beam posts while New Brunswick uses round posts.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bluenoser

Quote from: vdeane on December 21, 2017, 09:52:56 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 21, 2017, 08:20:50 PM

Looks like their in the correct places to me.  SB the exit is in New Brunswick so it uses New Brunswick standards, and NB it's in Québec so it uses Québec standards.  It's understandable that each province doesn't have the other's font in their sign shops.  See also a similar situation on the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border.

That sign was made by NSDOT, there was an agreement for them to put some signs on the New Brunswick side of the border. NB overall does a better job of making fairly accurate versions of NS signs, as compared to this half-assed effort by NSDOT just up the road at the end of LaPlanche St, near Exit 1 (a sign for Prince Edward Island has since been added):

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8515846,-64.2569135,3a,75y,110.73h,86.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s996K9cVim3KI_kW4j40C5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Transportfan

When 85 is finally finished and there's a complete freeway from Windsor, ON to Halifax, NS, this is a designation that would make a lot of sense for it:

Giving it the number 2 in recognition of that defunct historical interprovincial designation and extending the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway name to include it all. There's nothing inherently Ontario-specific about that name as MacDonald and Cartier were two of the fathers of confederation of a Canada that originally had just the four provinces the freeway traverses.

Edit: Got pic uploaded

hotdogPi

Quote from: Transportfan on December 28, 2017, 12:58:57 PM
(How the $%&! do I post images from my hard drive? Clicking the icon is useless.)

Upload the image to an image hosting website (I use Flickr, but Imgur works too; DO NOT use Photobucket), and then use the link from that website to upload it here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Transportfan

That's a real pain in the behind. Most forums you can just post them...

Alps

Quote from: Transportfan on December 29, 2017, 12:09:48 AM
That's a real pain in the behind. Most forums you can just post them...
This forum would have so many images posted that it would cost the hosts a ton of money.

cbeach40

Quote from: Transportfan on December 28, 2017, 12:58:57 PM
When 85 is finally finished and there's a complete freeway from Windsor, ON to Halifax, NS, this is a designation that would make a lot of sense for it:

Giving it the number 2 in recognition of that defunct historical interprovincial designation and extending the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway name to include it all. There's nothing inherently Ontario-specific about that name as MacDonald and Cartier were two of the fathers of confederation of a Canada that originally had just the four provinces the freeway traverses.

Edit: Got pic uploaded

The 401 designation has a lot more cultural cachet than 2 does. I do however like the idea of the historic interprovincial route 2 being resurrected as a tourist route though. :)
and waterrrrrrr!

Transportfan

Quote from: cbeach40 
/quote]

The 401 designation has a lot more cultural cachet than 2 does. 

Provincial cultural cachet. Canada needs more national unity. That being said, Renumbering it to 2 would cause confusion though for obvious reasons. But the M-C Freeway idea would easily work. Place large signs every 100 km or so.

ghYHZ

Go with a common Symbol...but leave the highway numbering "˜as-is'. Here is Nova Scotia it would require a renumbering of highways as Freeways are in the "100"  series. Single and double digits are the original Trunk routes. For example: Trunk 2 here is the original highway. The parallel Freeway is "102" . This would be n expense that makes no sense at all.

And that symbol appears to be the "˜Trans Canada'. In Nova Scotia, beyond Truro....the TCH runs to the Newfoundland  Ferry Terminal in North Sydney. Not to Halifax.

BTW....MacDonald and Cartier were not Fathers of Confederation from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Transportfan on December 29, 2017, 10:53:36 AMCanada needs more national unity.

I suspect that a few folks in Québec would disagree with that thought.  :)

Transportfan

Quote from: ghYHZ on December 30, 2017, 08:35:21 AM
Go with a common Symbol...but leave the highway numbering "˜as-is'. Here is Nova Scotia it would require a renumbering of highways as Freeways are in the "100"  series. Single and double digits are the original Trunk routes. For example: Trunk 2 here is the original highway. The parallel Freeway is "102" . This would be n expense that makes no sense at all.

And that symbol appears to be the "˜Trans Canada'. In Nova Scotia, beyond Truro....the TCH runs to the Newfoundland  Ferry Terminal in North Sydney. Not to Halifax.

BTW....MacDonald and Cartier were not Fathers of Confederation from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

"And that symbol appears to be the "˜Trans Canada'. In Nova Scotia, beyond Truro....the TCH runs to the Newfoundland  Ferry Terminal in North Sydney. Not to Halifax."

The Trans-Canada is an interprovincial highway, so a variation of the TCH shield (in freeway blue) is quite appropriate for an interprovincial freeway--not every US interstate is transcontinental, to make an analogy.

"BTW....MacDonald and Cartier were not Fathers of Confederation from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick."

Do they have to be? They were the two main men behind Confederation as a whole. Maybe Confederation Freeway would be better, then.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Transportfan on December 30, 2017, 10:13:57 AM....... Maybe Confederation Freeway would be better, then.

Yup.....that's better. But that shield is still too Trans Canada!

ghYHZ

Transportfan

Quote from: ghYHZ on December 30, 2017, 10:53:25 AM
Quote from: Transportfan on December 30, 2017, 10:13:57 AM....... Maybe Confederation Freeway would be better, then.

Yup.....that's better. But that shield is still too Trans Canada!

But the TCH is a national highway; and the shield doesn't say "Trans-Canada" on it. A TCH-derived shield could thus signify interprovincial status.

Richard3

I'm going a bit out of bounds with that one, but with that "exit-1-on-both-sides-of-the-border" thing, province of Quebec have now two points where "kilometer 0" is at the same place for two different jurisdictions.

- This one, because NB consider TCH-2 as an East-West highway, so the NB-QC border is the westernmost point of this highway, while QC consider A-85 as an North-South highway, even if the general orientation is east-west, because it's perpendicular to the St. Lawrence River, so the QC-NB border is the southernmost point of their highway.

- The other one is at the QC-ON border, where A-40 in QC becomes ON-417.  Tne Ontario transport authority decides to place "km 0" of the 417 at its easternmost point of the highway because they have no idea of where this highway would start on its westernmost point, nor even if the 417 will connect with MB border one day. I expect teleportation will exist way before the 417 will reach Manitoba! Can you imagine an exit 2146, instead of exit 5, on your way to St. Eugene, ON?
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Richard3

Back to the A-85 itself, some tree cutting is already done on some public lands between St. Antonin and Whitworth First nation territory. I saw that on my last run in the Maritimes, last Wednesday (5-23-2018).
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Great Lakes Roads

Let's dust off this thread with some news that was released two months ago...

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/travaux-route-185.aspx

So yeah, let's say that they are currently clearing the right-of-way with construction scheduled for 2021 and will be completed in 2025... This will be the last phase to convert highway 185 to a freeway all the way to New Brunswick from A-20...

Transportfan

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 04, 2018, 08:31:00 AM

https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr/salle-de-presse/nouvelles/Pages/travaux-route-185.aspx

So yeah, let's say that they are currently clearing the right-of-way with construction scheduled for 2021 and will be completed in 2025... This will be the last phase to convert highway 185 to a freeway all the way to New Brunswick from A-20...

That's not a dust off, it's an annoying thread bump with no new info. :angry:

vdeane

Quote from: Transportfan on November 06, 2018, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 04, 2018, 08:31:00 AM

That's not a dust off, it's an annoying thread bump with no new info. :angry:
I don't recall that press release being posted on this forum.  I do recall something from one of the Facebook groups, though we have at least a few members who aren't on Facebook, so it might be new to them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.