AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Atchafalaya Basin I-10 Bridge New Speed Enforcement  (Read 2840 times)

bwana39

• Last Login: August 15, 2022, 03:23:41 PM
Re: Atchafalaya Basin I-10 Bridge New Speed Enforcement
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2022, 11:37:36 AM »

Quote from: seicer
Is the existing bridge in that bad of condition that it needs replacement?

Bridges like that have only so long a life span. The Atchafalaya Basin bridges opened in 1973, almost 50 years ago. I strongly doubt if those bridges are going to last another 50 years.

It's also worth mentioning I-10 is being widened from the I-49 interchange to the Atchafalaya Basin bridges.

Maybe not 50 years, but if the inspection reports are true, the viaducts do still have a ways to go before they need to be replaced.

Remember that it took a 25+ foot storm surge from Hurricane Katrina to topple the I-10 span across Lake Ponchatrain near Slidell, which prompted its immediate replacement with the greatly improved model.

When the time does come to replace it, they should do what they did for the I-10 span: build an entirely new and widened viaduct just to the south of the existing one (3 lanes in either direction, with Interstate-grade shoulders on both sides and "crossunders" for emergencies) with new structures for the Whiskey Bay and main Atchafalaya River channel high-rises. Retain portions of the existing viaduct as piers for fishermen and tourists wanting to soak up the environment. Upgrading the Butte la Rose rest area would be a good thing, too.

This sounds great BUT: Do you realize how many acres of protected wetland that would require to be repurposed?
 From a pure highway ideology, that is indeed a great idea. This would probably work great over open water. This is NOT open water. It might work OK over unremarkable ground. This stretch of road is over neither. It is swamp / wetland. I want to believe that in the EIS process, that removal of any significant amount of cypress swamp and or marsh is prohibitive.  You might get to widen the ROW a little, but a new stretch as wide or wider than the current one is a non-starter.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rothman

• Last Login: August 15, 2022, 11:06:19 PM
Re: Atchafalaya Basin I-10 Bridge New Speed Enforcement
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2022, 08:53:06 PM »

Quote from: seicer
Is the existing bridge in that bad of condition that it needs replacement?

Bridges like that have only so long a life span. The Atchafalaya Basin bridges opened in 1973, almost 50 years ago. I strongly doubt if those bridges are going to last another 50 years.

It's also worth mentioning I-10 is being widened from the I-49 interchange to the Atchafalaya Basin bridges.

Maybe not 50 years, but if the inspection reports are true, the viaducts do still have a ways to go before they need to be replaced.

Remember that it took a 25+ foot storm surge from Hurricane Katrina to topple the I-10 span across Lake Ponchatrain near Slidell, which prompted its immediate replacement with the greatly improved model.

When the time does come to replace it, they should do what they did for the I-10 span: build an entirely new and widened viaduct just to the south of the existing one (3 lanes in either direction, with Interstate-grade shoulders on both sides and "crossunders" for emergencies) with new structures for the Whiskey Bay and main Atchafalaya River channel high-rises. Retain portions of the existing viaduct as piers for fishermen and tourists wanting to soak up the environment. Upgrading the Butte la Rose rest area would be a good thing, too.

This sounds great BUT: Do you realize how many acres of protected wetland that would require to be repurposed?
 From a pure highway ideology, that is indeed a great idea. This would probably work great over open water. This is NOT open water. It might work OK over unremarkable ground. This stretch of road is over neither. It is swamp / wetland. I want to believe that in the EIS process, that removal of any significant amount of cypress swamp and or marsh is prohibitive.  You might get to widen the ROW a little, but a new stretch as wide or wider than the current one is a non-starter.
Nah.  The EIS process has some common sense built into it when considering alternatives.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.