News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Johnson County Gateway

Started by route56, April 10, 2014, 10:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Here's the new APL signs for 435 at the new I-35 exit.

52786 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

ddonnelly19

Quote from: route56 on December 13, 2015, 02:31:32 AM
Here's the new APL signs for 435 at the new I-35 exit.

52786 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
so are they not going to sign the lackman rd exit?

Nexus 6

mvak36

I believe it is signed further down (can't remember when the first one shows up)
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

route56

There's a BOS on Southbound 435 that says "Lackman Road, exit 83." Presumably, it will be replaced with a BGS soon.

R.P.K.

route56

New signs for the eastbound K-10 exit onto Lackman. Note the exit tab with the I-435 exit number, even though this is still technically K-10. [The South/Eastbound mainline 435 exit to Lackman is signed as exit 83, since it is combined with the new ramp to I-35.] Also, there is no longer a sign marking the east END! of K-10.

52792 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

R.P.K.

route56

52789 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

Patched up with duck tape and demountable copy

R.P.K.

route56

Another big section of the Gateway begins next week

Quote from: Kim Qualls, KDOT District 1 Public Affairs Manager
95th Street & I-35 Diverging Diamond Interchange Project

Your commute through the 95th Street and I-35 interchange will soon change as construction begins this upcoming Monday, February 22, to reconstruct the existing diamond interchange into a new diverging diamond interchange. This interchange reconstruction work is part of the ongoing #jocogateway interchange Phase 2 project.

> > Here's what this means for drivers:

- Beginning at 10 p.m. on Sunday, February 21 and by no later than 5 a.m. on Monday, February 22 (through Late August 2016), all ramps to/from 95th Street and to/from I-35 and 95th Street over I-35 will be CLOSED to all through traffic for reconstruction work of the interchange. Closing an entire interchange takes time and close coordination, thus work on the closure of the interchange will take place in phases during the overnight hours. Detour signs will be uncovered before the related roadway and ramp closed barricades are set in place. The interchange closure work will begin at 10 p.m. on Sunday, February 21 and all interchange roadway and ramps closures will be FULLY CLOSED by no later than 5 a.m. on Monday, February 22. The entire interchange will remain closed to all traffic through Late August 2016, weather permitting.

To view factsheets detailing the construction phasing and schedule for the project, click here http://jocogateway.com/category/fact-sheets/. NOTE: The detour signing will be in place in advance of any project closures. With lots of ongoing utility work in the interchange area (that must be completed first), the full closure of the interchange itself is now slated for late February 2016, weather permitting. Stay tuned as we will keep you updated and informed in advance as the project progresses.

- Adjacent local road closures will occur throughout construction meaning access to local businesses will change during this time. Access to local businesses will be maintained throughout construction via marked detours. To view the marked detours that will be in place during construction for access to local businesses, as well as for access to 95th Street and I-35, click here: http://jocogateway.com/95th-street-and-i-35-diverging-diamond-interchange/

R.P.K.

mvak36

Did anybody else notice the new BGS's on WB 435 just past the Quivira Rd on-ramp? They have covered them up for now, but I wonder if they are getting close to opening that new flyover from WB 435 to SB 35. They just did some grading this past week for the new flyover, so it's just my guess lol.

route56

Quote from: mvak36 on February 20, 2016, 10:12:37 PM
Did anybody else notice the new BGS's on WB 435 just past the Quivira Rd on-ramp?

You mean these?

52979 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

52980 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

52981 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

No, I hadn't noticed  :sombrero: :colorful: :cool: :spin: :wave: :awesomeface:

I have marked the 95th Street exit closed on my I-35 exit guide:
http://www.route56.com/exitguides/i35.html#exit222

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on February 22, 2016, 07:21:59 AM
Did anybody else notice the new BGS's on WB 435 just past the Quivira Rd on-ramp?

Now that I had a couple of days to sleep on it, I did remember seeing the BGS's when they were uncovered (and before they were hung on the gantries). You could see them if you were going on EB 435 between I-35 and Quivira. I can't remember what was on them though haha.

The flyover looks done on the 435 end, but the part that merges with 35 South looks like it still needs to be paved. Right now all that's there is a bunch of dirt that's been graded.

ddonnelly19

Quote from: route56 on February 22, 2016, 07:21:59 AM

You mean these?

52979 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

52980 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

52981 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

it looks like they're going to eventually put up APL signs going eastbound, but why not do it westbound as well?

Nexus 6

Ned Weasel

Quote from: ddonnelly19 on March 13, 2016, 02:11:02 PM
it looks like they're going to eventually put up APL signs going eastbound, but why not do it westbound as well?

The MUTCD only allows APL signage at exits or splits with an option lane.  So, unless there is going to be an option lane at that exit, there's no MUTCD-sanctioned reason to use APL signage for that exit.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

route56

Quote from: Kim Qualls, KDOT Public Affairs Manager, District 1
NEW SPLIT LANE TRAFFIC SHIFT: Eastbound I-435 traffic will be shifted to THREE THROUGH LANES, including one new split lane of traffic, from Santa Fe Trail Drive to U.S. 69 for roadway widening work beginning at 10 p.m. on Monday, April 11 through Late Fall 2016, weather permitting. 

> > > Here's what this means for drivers:

Two left (through) lanes of eastbound I-435 will cross over the existing median to the north and run adjacent to the westbound I-435 lanes. Concrete barrier located on the outside of the two lanes will separate the eastbound I-435 traffic from the westbound I-435 traffic (as shown in the graphic below). Traffic in these two through lanes will have NO access to exit to Quivira Road, U.S. 69 or Antioch Road.

One right (through) lane of eastbound I-435 will remain south of the existing median barrier. Concrete barrier will be located on either side of this single lane (as shown in the graphic below). Traffic in this right through lane will have access to exit to Quivira Road, U.S. 69 or Antioch Road

Basically, this means that two lanes of Eastbound 435 will be squeezed onto the new Westbound lanes in an "express" setup. One lane will remain in the existing eastbound lanes to serve the Quivira, US 69, and Antioch exits.

R.P.K.

route56

Latest batch of photos taken 4/15/16:

53267 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
New advance distance sign on 435 south approaching 95th reflecting the relocated I-35 ramp.

52785 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

53268 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Before (10/10/15) and After: signage for the I-435 south to K-10 ramp. Note that they elected to re-use this particular gantry.

53269 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Advance BOS for the I-435 lane split

53273 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Double white lane line just before Lackman. This apparently didn't go over to well, as the lines were changed to a regular lane line all the way to the "gore point"

53275 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
The Gore Point. Note that if you're entering 435 from Lackman, you'll have to use the "local" lane.

53277 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
New advance BGS for Lackman on westbound 435. Note that there's 5 lanes of traffic (2 lanes eastbound, three lanes westbound) squeezed onto a bridge build for 4 lanes (3 through lanes plus the acceleration lane from the NB I-35 loop ramp - which has been taken out of the picture for the time being)

R.P.K.

mvak36

It looks like they are getting ready to open the new WB 435 to SB 35 flyover soon.

Just my guess based on (Source: http://www.ksdot.org/kcMetro/laneclose.asp):

UPCOMING WEEKDAY OVERNIGHT RAMP CLOSURE: Westbound I-435 to southbound I-35 ramp CLOSED for traffic switch work needed to open new flyover ramp beginning at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27 and reopening at 5 a.m. on Thursday, April 28. Marked detour provided. Traffic will detour via westbound I-435 to westbound K-10 exit to Renner Boulevard exit to access the new southbound I-35 ramp. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Thursday, April 28. (NEW 4-22-16)

UPCOMING WEEKDAY OVERNIGHT RAMP CLOSURE: Westbound I-435 to northbound I-35 ramp CLOSED for traffic switch work needed to open new flyover ramp beginning at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27 and reopening at 5 a.m. on Thursday, April 28. Marked detour provided. Traffic will detour via westbound I-435 to westbound K-10 exit to Renner Boulevard exit to access the new northbound I-35 ramp. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Thursday, April 28. (NEW 4-22-16)

Maybe it will be open on Thursday?

mvak36

From same link as in previous post:

NEW FLYOVER RAMP OPENING! Weather permitting, the new westbound I-435 to southbound I-35 flyover ramp will OPEN to traffic beginning at 5 a.m. this Thursday, April 28. One lane of the new two-lane westbound I-435 to southbound I-35 flyover ramp will remain closed until later in 2016 for ongoing construction work in that area. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Thursday, April 28. (NEW 4-26-16)

I'm not sure if yesterday's storms delayed things any, but I will go that way tomorrow morning to see if it's open.

EDIT: It is open!!!! Only the left lane is open for now.

route56

The new EB 435 to NB I-35 ramp opened to traffic this morning. I'll UPDATE! OSM when I get around to it (unless someone beats me to the punch)

R.P.K.

route56

KDOT has posted two new drone videos documenting the demolition of the old I-435 to I-35 flyover ramps.

R.P.K.

mvak36

95th Street Interchange at I-35 to open next week according to email I received.

QuoteWe are excited to announce that the 95th Street and I-35 Diverging Diamond Interchange will reopen to traffic by 5:00 a.m. Wednesday, August 17!  In honor of that, we are holding the official Ribbon Cutting on Tuesday, August 16 at 2:30 p.m.

route56

First, a sign progression on 435:

May 6, 2016

53448 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

July 16, 2016

54052 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

New Westbound 435 lanes at K-10 (also 7/16/16)

The westbound I-435 shoo-fly is now closed:

54065 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

New Portland Cement For Westbound 435:

54066 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

New sign gantry at the Lackman off-ramp

54067 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

Old westbound 435 mainline and gantry as seen from the new westbound 435.

54070 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr

R.P.K.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

mvak36

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article96038102.html

With this interchange done, the end of the construction is almost near  :). A few more months to go.

AnchorGuy319

Wow... lots of change there since I moved to Iowa from Lenexa-Overland Park area in 2001.  However my last time was in Johnson County was in 2007.  Thank you for the updates!

Alex

mvak36

Quote from: Alex on November 10, 2016, 07:56:47 PM
https://twitter.com/KansasCityKDOT/status/796881051989798912

Thought this was due to open soon.

http://www.ksdot.org/kcMetro/laneclose.asp

It also looks like they're gonna be opening up all of the Eastbound lanes over the weekend and, by Monday morning, EB and WB 435 should have 4 lanes each way. All of this is weather-dependent.

I-35 & I-435 Interchange Area

WEEKDAY OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURES: Eastbound I-435 LEFT TWO LANES from past Lackman Road to U.S. 69 CLOSED for final eastbound I-435 pavement marking work beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday, November 11 and reopening at 5 a.m. on Saturday, November 12. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Saturday, November 12. (NEW 11-10-16)

WEEKDAY OVERNIGHT RAMP CLOSURE: Eastbound I-435 to Antioch Road exit ramp CLOSED for final eastbound I-435 pavement marking work beginning at 11:45 p.m. on Friday, November 11 and reopening at 5 a.m. on Saturday, November 12. Traffic will detour via message boards to next interchange where they will turn around and head back on westbound I-435 to access Antioch Road. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Saturday, November 12. (NEW 11-10-16)

WEEKEND DAY LANE CLOSURE: Eastbound and westbound I-435 LEFT LANES from Pflumm Road to I-35 CLOSED for barrier work on Saturday, November 12 between 7 a.m. and 2 p.m. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Saturday, November 12. (NEW 11-10-16)

WEEKEND DAY OVERNIGHT RAMP CLOSURE: Quivira Road to eastbound I-435 entrance ramp CLOSED for final eastbound I-435 pavement marking work beginning at 10 p.m. on Saturday, November 12 and reopening at 7 a.m. on Sunday, November 13. Traffic will detour via message boards to southbound U.S. 69 to College Boulevard exit, back onto northbound U.S. 69 to access eastbound I-435. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Sunday, November 13. (NEW 11-10-16)

WEEKEND DAY OVERNIGHT RAMP CLOSURE: Eastbound I-435 to northbound/southbound U.S. 69 CLOSED for final eastbound I-435 pavement marking work beginning at 10 p.m. on Saturday, November 12 and reopening at 7 a.m. on Sunday, November 13. Traffic will detour via message boards to eastbound I-435 to Antioch Road exit, turn back onto westbound I-435 to access northbound/southbound U.S. 69. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Sunday, November 13. (NEW 11-10-16)

WEEKEND DAY OVERNIGHT LANE CLOSURES: Eastbound I-435 RIGHT LANE from Pflumm Road to past Quivira Road CLOSED for final eastbound I-435 pavement marking work beginning at 8 p.m. on Saturday-Sunday, November 11-12 and reopening at 7 a.m. on Sunday, November 13 and 5 a.m. on Monday, November 14, respectively. Project work is scheduled to be completed on Monday, November 14. (NEW 11-10-16)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.