News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former US 40 in Idaho Springs

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 05, 2020, 03:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

During 2016 I visited Idaho Springs on the back side of a long Mountain Region Trip.  Idaho Springs had some interesting surface alignments of US 40 with the most unique being aligned through downtown on Miner Street.  The construction of an extension of Colorado Boulevard over Clear Creek during 1931 seems to have shifted US 40 onto a bypass which was joined by US 6 circa 1937. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/06/2016-summer-mountain-trip-part-32.html

zzcarp

That's great info. I've been through there dozens of times and never realized Miner Street was the original highway.

US 6/40 were put on the freeway bypass by 1960 even before it was signed as I-70. Colorado Boulevard remained as the business route and was still signed as BL I-70 into the 2010s. At some point it was turned back to the city. I believe it was when they modified the westbound offramp at the east end of town into this dangerous low-speed roundabout.
So many miles and so many roads

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: zzcarp on June 06, 2020, 02:57:33 PM
That's great info. I've been through there dozens of times and never realized Miner Street was the original highway.

US 6/40 were put on the freeway bypass by 1960 even before it was signed as I-70. Colorado Boulevard remained as the business route and was still signed as BL I-70 into the 2010s. At some point it was turned back to the city. I believe it was when they modified the westbound offramp at the east end of town into this dangerous low-speed roundabout.

It looks like the state poured a ton of effort into improving Clear Creek Canyon during the 1930s.  Similarly it looks CO 91 used the much more haggard Main Street in Silver Plume whereas I'm not completely sure if US 6 was. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.