News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 30 between I-80 in Wyoming and I-15 in Idaho

Started by Dougtone, March 04, 2021, 09:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

US 30 between I-80 in Little America, Wyoming and I-15 in McCammon, Idaho is a scenic drive brimming with history and fast moving alternative to the Interstates in the Mountain West. I've never heard much about this stretch of road, so I decided to drive it and write about it.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/03/a-journey-along-us-30-between-i-80-in.html

Rick Powell

My in-laws lived in Pocatello, ID until last year, and US 30 was our shortcut coming from north central IL. Always got a cone or 2 at Little America, it was like a ritual. Kemmerer WY was a very sleepy little town until about 10 years ago, when the oil/gas industry really picked up around those parts. You are correct, there are long straightaways where you can really move, but also pockets of curves and little towns where you can easily get stuck following a slow moving vehicle.

US 89

The Soda Springs geyser is lame, and the amount of Oregon Trail-related tourist stuff along US 30 in Idaho is ridiculous... but I do have to say, the greater UT-ID-WY tripoint area has what is probably my favorite terrain to drive through. There's just something about the wide open rolling hills and low-ish mountain passes common in that area that really appeals to me.

It's even better in the spring and early summer when said hills are green.

andy3175

Great series, Doug. Thanks for sharing!

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Mapmikey

This was very nice.

I got to drive this route eastbound in 2015 on the way back to Virginia from Vancouver BC.  Scenery was terrific.

Also appreciated that Wyoming put up tall deer fences in a lot of the areas where deer were most prominent...

JayhawkCO

Nice photos.  I just took that route last summer when my wife and I drove up to Oregon to visit my brother and sister-in-law.  It's a nice drive for sure.  Definitely a good change of pace to get off of the interstate.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.