News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I sure hope people yield at stop signs!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

The construction vehicles in our neighborhood haven't been stopping or yielding at stop signs - they blow right through.  Imagine being sideswiped by a cement truck or double-bottom hauler.  Even if it's only going 15-20 mph.

Flint1979

The City of Saginaw takes an entire summer to do one stretch of street while it only takes MDOT two weeks to repave a stretch of M-46 on the east side of Saginaw. Mackinaw Street was closed two years ago to be repaved from State Street (M-58) to Congress/Malzahn it took them all summer, then they skip a section of street and come up this year and close Mackinaw down from Alexander to Michigan to repave that part.

As you can see in this GSV the street was in pretty bad shape. Oh and keep in mind the image was taken in September 2012, it took them nine years to do something about this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4183911,-83.9728865,3a,24.9y,315.68h,76.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syLFhlwiKXyi8apnCvpF0hA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 01:52:25 PM
Dates look like giant cockroaches.

Maybe if you're going out with girls that you found under a rock...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 02:30:01 PM

I was 100% certain someone would reply with that sort of remark.

Continuing on...  I almost posted that observation in the "minor things that bother you" thread because, ever since I realized the dates-cockroaches similarity, I can't bring myself to buy a bag of dates.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 02:38:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 02:30:01 PM

I was 100% certain someone would reply with that sort of remark.

Glad to fulfill your expectations for you. :D

Why are cars carpeted? It's the one place you're practically guaranteed to go into directly from standing somewhere dirty and/or wet, so why do we put one of the hardest things in the world to keep clean in there?

kphoger

Because the extreme temperatures inside a car tend to mess with tile grout.
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on September 02, 2021, 01:57:57 PM
The construction vehicles in our neighborhood haven't been stopping or yielding at stop signs - they blow right through.  Imagine being sideswiped by a cement truck or double-bottom hauler.  Even if it's only going 15-20 mph.

I've seen roadwork contract workers blow through red lights.  I guess they think the toy yellow blinky light on their pickups give them the right.

Big John

Quote from: US71 on September 02, 2021, 10:17:51 AM
Quote from: kenarmy on September 01, 2021, 11:49:30 PM
-Am I the only one that went through the pain of explaining that I wasn't a junior, even though me and my dad had the same first and last name?
- *sigh* Some of you won't ever experience the pain of having to get a haircut every two weeks and wearing a durag to bed.

My dad was called "Junior" growing up, but wasn't. He shared the same first name as my grandfather, but a different Middle name.
My brother-in-law is called "Uncle Junior" in his family.

GaryV

My cousin's husband's given name was Junior.

My dad went by John Jr (no middle name), even though his dad was Johannes Cornelius.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2021, 04:50:51 PM
Why are cars carpeted? It's the one place you're practically guaranteed to go into directly from standing somewhere dirty and/or wet, so why do we put one of the hardest things in the world to keep clean in there?

I would guess that bare metal floors didn't look welcoming after a while, they provided sound-deadening, and became a convenient means to hiding wiring.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on September 02, 2021, 04:52:34 PM
Because the extreme temperatures inside a car tend to mess with tile grout.

Quote from: formulanone on September 02, 2021, 08:20:28 PM
I would guess that bare metal floors didn't look welcoming after a while, they provided sound-deadening, and became a convenient means to hiding wiring.

Heh, true, but...I remember my parents having a 70/80s pickup truck that had rubber flooring. (It also had a single bench seat and no AC, so it wasn't exactly the pinnacle of comfort, but...)

kphoger

But, seriously...

Quote from: https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/why-are-car-floors-covered-with-carpet.html
With carpeting on all of the floors, it functions as an excellent sound dampener, as the clanging and rattling of the car's undercarriage is largely absorbed by the carpeting. As much as 40% of the car's sound can be eliminated through the application of carpeting ...

The carpeting not only provides insulation when it comes to sound, but also in terms of temperature regulation ...

While your car's heater could keep the air in the car warm, you would constantly be losing heat through the floor (made primarily of metal, which conducts heat well). For those long road trips when you take off your shoes and get comfortable, placing your feet on cold metal or plastic would be a decidedly unpleasant way to travel ...

Carpet ... could soak up spills and prevent water or oil from sitting for too long in one place and eating away at the body of the car.

And, if you're really looking for a modern car without carpeting, then look no further than the Honda Element.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Tell me how this makes any sense it cracks me up.

I was just driving southbound on M-47 at the speed limit which is 55 mph. I was in the right lane with absolutely nothing in the left lane and behind me is a row of cars in the same lane that I'm in I go to get over in the left lane to make a turn and the car that was behind me speeds up. Now keep in mind that this car all of them as a matter of fact behind me had every opportunity for about the past 2 miles to get into the left lane and pass me. So what is the reason that you speed up once I move over into the left lane?

snowc

Why is everything in purple in locked threads?  :confused:

Big John

Quote from: snowc on September 05, 2021, 02:52:44 PM
purple text is used by the mods/admin when speaking as such.  They use the regular black text when they are talking for themselves.

snowc

Quote from: Big John on September 05, 2021, 03:02:56 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 05, 2021, 02:52:44 PM
purple text is used by the mods/admin when speaking as such.  They use the regular black text when they are talking for themselves.
ohhh okk. Thanks for explaining

renegade

- It's a lot quieter around here at the moment, but I suspect that's about to change shortly.:popcorn:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

kenarmy

- Children will beg you for something literally everywhere. Like what do you want from Pull-A-Part? A muffler?
- I read part of Antigone for no reason..and later that night I dreamed that my dog died and I was told not to bury it.
- So are we gonna ignore that most countries have really lame names just in different languages? Like really, "Rich Coast"?
- I can't be the only one that thought Bermuda was roughly circle shaped..
- The Sint Marteen/Saint Martin name thing is cute.
- Is it normal to sense energy levels?
- Somebody said "Bar" stands for "beer and alcohol room" but hmmm idk.
- I just can't believe people willingly eat watermelon  :crazy:.
- So no one was gonna tell me that percentages are reversible? (e.g. 64% of 8=8% of 64) Cus like none of my teachers told me that.
- Why do people hate I-75? I wouldn't know because I never use it.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kenarmy on September 06, 2021, 07:03:00 PM
You'll find out once you use it  :-D

renegade

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 06, 2021, 07:13:13 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on September 06, 2021, 07:03:00 PM
You'll find out once you use it  :-D
- I-75 is not as bad as you think it is.

Flint1979

I-75 is fine. It is what it is a very busy Interstate highway.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 06, 2021, 09:26:43 PM
Tbh, it's fine for the most part, as one of the country's busiest interstate. I mostly make fun of it for having some part between the KY border and I-275 under construction for a majority of my lifetime, with many more phases in both projects (Mill Creek and Thru the Valley) to go.

renegade

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 06, 2021, 11:11:10 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 06, 2021, 09:26:43 PM
Tbh, it's fine for the most part, as one of the country's busiest interstate. I mostly make fun of it for having some part between the KY border and I-275 under construction for a majority of my lifetime, with many more phases in both projects (Mill Creek and Thru the Valley) to go.
It's never going to be finished.  Deal with it.  They started repairin' it the day after it opened.

:awesomeface:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.