News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Georgia

Started by Bryant5493, March 27, 2009, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Quote from: lordsutch on May 15, 2023, 01:38:09 PMI expect at the time an in-place upgrade or thereabouts would have been fairly viable. The terrain is also a bit more amenable to a new location freeway than the current I-75 corridor. It'd be nice to have closer access to Peachtree City and Fayetteville from I-75 too.

That was more or less my argument, though I suspect the equation was decisively altered by the construction of the raceway.

Peachtree City didn't exist then (you knew that, right?) and Fayetteville wasn't very big. Beyond that, today's I-75 is more evenly spaced between I-85 and I-20 than US 41 was, and the section between Stockbridge and Forest Park provided a very useful new corridor. Actually, that was a more compelling reason to move I-75 than the raceway was, and one that wasn't operative for I-20.

Quote from: lordsutchAs far as the four-laning of 41 south of Griffin, along with the not-terribly-useful-these-days Griffin bypass, I expect it was a political consolation prize for Barnesville not getting I-75. You can also sorta-kinda argue that 41 was carrying both the traffic for 41 and 341 north of Barnesville, and the old alignment is not very good.

To me, it would almost be easier to understand if they'd built that section before starting on the rerouted I-75 north of Forsyth. Once they started that, though, IMO it should've been completed before a reliever that wouldn't have been needed for more than three years or so. After all, traffic straight from Macon to Atlanta had the option of taking US 23 instead of US 41 if Barnesville-Griffin was really that bad, especially if they figured out that it was better to use GA 87 before US 23 was routed there.

I'm actually a fan of the Griffin bypass because as a freeway it'll be forever free of the scourge of traffic lights. I guess it'd be nice if the rest of US 41 into Atlanta was as well, but IMO not at the cost of having I-75 in its current, superior location.

Tom958

I drove to Huntsville and back for work yesterday, and there are two things I wanted to note:

First, on GA 140 between Adairsville and US 27, a very high proportion of the new eastbound roadway is striped and seemingly ready for traffic, with additional sections nearly as far along. However,  one quarter-mile section about two miles west of US 41 still looks so chaotic that I can't really even tell what the finished product will be like. In particular, the barrier-faced retaining wall in this Streetview image (it was too dark for photos, and the scene snuck up on me) is very much lower than the new eastbound roadway upon which all traffic now flows. In fact, throughout the project, there seems to be more difference in elevation between the two roadways and variations in median width than GDOT has typically been tolerating, which I like.

Second, the last half mile or so of the climbing lane on US 27 headed southward out of Summerville has been striped away, seemingly greatly reducing the utility of the lane. Here's the former beginning of the lane, with the old striping still slightly visible. Weirdly, instead of using the extra width to provide a turn lane or other buffer between opposing directions of traffic, the freed-up width is in the form of a striped-away right shoulder lane on the northbound side. I can't imagine why they did this.

There's a place on southbound GA 48 where a passing lane had been shortened well before the hillcrest, but at that location, there were several driveways plus a more-important climbing lane meeting it from the opposite direction that may have led to safety problems. I don't see anything like that on that part of US 27. If the idea on US 27 was to separate the two head-on climbing lanes there, I would think that it'd be better to truncate the northbound one instead so as to slow traffic entering that steep downgrade rather than to impede southbound trucks that may already be struggling to maintain speed on the upgrade. But, hey, what do I know?

roadman65

What's up with the only two lane Argyle Bypass on US 8 & GA 38?
https://goo.gl/maps/wgVtnJwetRZ9f94n7

Doesn't make sense to upgrade a corridor to four lanes and create another two lane segment along its path including a grass median.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lordsutch

Quote from: roadman65 on May 29, 2023, 06:32:01 PM

Doesn't make sense to upgrade a corridor to four lanes and create another two lane segment along its path including a grass median.

My guess is the traffic volumes didn't really justify 4 lanes there. It's also signed at 45 mph.

It's goofy but given the choice between that and GDOT's usual M.O. on GRIP corridors of putting a flush median section straight through town with some gratuitous traffic signals (usually dropping to 35 mph or less), I'll choose the bypass.

Tom958

Quote from: lordsutch on May 30, 2023, 06:23:33 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 29, 2023, 06:32:01 PM

My guess is the traffic volumes didn't really justify 4 lanes there. It's also signed at 45 mph.

It's goofy but given the choice between that and GDOT's usual M.O. on GRIP corridors of putting a flush median section straight through town with some gratuitous traffic signals (usually dropping to 35 mph or less), I'll choose the bypass.

Maybe GDOT really, really wanted to use roundabouts for traffic control there but didn't want two-lane roundabouts.

Tom958

Quote from: Tom958 on May 20, 2023, 04:16:28 PM
First, on GA 140 between Adairsville and US 27, a very high proportion of the new eastbound roadway is striped and seemingly ready for traffic, with additional sections nearly as far along. However,  one quarter-mile section about two miles west of US 41 still looks so chaotic that I can't really even tell what the finished product will be like. In particular, the barrier-faced retaining wall in this Streetview image (it was too dark for photos, and the scene snuck up on me) is very much lower than the new eastbound roadway upon which all traffic now flows.

After going back yesterday and posting some photos in a Facebook group, I learned that the project was supposed to have been finished a year and a half ago, but the contractor went broke and GDOT had to hire another. The holdup is the construction of a retaining wall that's so tall it requires two tiers of temporary excavation support, and it's not very far along now. 

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ted$8roadFan

I've always enjoyed the different font used on Georgia's signage.

Finrod

Anyone know what's going on with the new bridge being built over I-75 between I-575 and Barrett Parkway?  It's in the wrong place to be a 75 to 575 or the reverse ramp so it must be something for local traffic.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tomahawkin

I was wondering that myself. I saw it in Mid May. My only guess is that it's going to be some kind of connector/parkway to relieve traffic volumes on Barrett Parkway...?

Ga293

Yes, here's a link to the county's page on the matter. It's expected to be completed by fall of next year.

architect77

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 06, 2023, 05:28:16 AM
I've always enjoyed the different font used on Georgia's signage.

And I love the new, extra big, extra bold font. It's befitting for the Empire State of the South.

Atlanta is to the Southeast what Chicago is to the Midwest, the unofficial capital and the one true big city for all the surrounding states.

WashuOtaku

Starting July 1st, Peach Pass will be expanding to several more states.

Tomahawkin

Yes!!! What states? Tease The Folks! I'm going to New York next month. I hope it and New Jersey are included

ran4sh

One could argue that that should be on the Atlanta thread since all existing GA toll roads are in the Atlanta area. In any case I already posted it there

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 24, 2023, 03:31:02 PM
Yes!!! What states? Tease The Folks! I'm going to New York next month. I hope it and New Jersey are included

NY/NJ are not included in the immediate expansion. I am guessing this is because their toll equipment only reads hard-case transponders but the Peach Pass transponder is a sticker, and it doesn't look like Georgia is going to offer a hard-case transponder option.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 24, 2023, 03:31:02 PM

Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, and Rhode Island.

sprjus4

In any case, wouldn't it be easier to open any other E-ZPass account is surrounding states to get around this issue, until hard case is offered?

ran4sh

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 25, 2023, 06:17:21 AM
In any case, wouldn't it be easier to open any other E-ZPass account is surrounding states to get around this issue, until hard case is offered?

Well there's no confirmation that hard case is ever going to be offered by Peach Pass. The website says that the interoperability is coming soon for the rest of the E-ZPass region, without specifying how it is going to happen.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

Finrod

Quote from: Ga293 on June 12, 2023, 09:22:07 AM
Yes, here's a link to the county's page on the matter. It's expected to be completed by fall of next year.

Thanks.  Odd that it goes into a roundabout on the east side, a roundabout with two exits.  Highly redundant unless someone's planning something south of there.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Thing 342

Quote from: ran4sh on June 27, 2023, 08:56:53 PM

Well there's no confirmation that hard case is ever going to be offered by Peach Pass. The website says that the interoperability is coming soon for the rest of the E-ZPass region, without specifying how it is going to happen.
My understanding is that this will be accomplished via the individual EZ-Pass IAG members adding multi-protocol RFID tag readers that support SeGo and 6C in addition to the original TDM protocol as part of their regular equipment upgrades at their toll collection facilities. Interoperability with the IAG will need to be enabled on a per-agency basis because it requires the home agency (the issuer of the tags, so PeachPass in this instance) to accept the IAG's standardized transaction control format into their billing systems.

I have not seen any indication that GDOT will be installing any TDM readers on its facilities so I am left to assume there will not be any reciprocity with the IAG. My advice to Georgia residents who regularly drive in EZ-Pass territory is to get an NC Quick Pass hard-case transponder (or a FLEX model, which I have) that supports all three protocols and will work along the entire East Coast without potential compatiblity shenanigans.

ran4sh

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 04, 2023, 10:24:00 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on June 27, 2023, 08:56:53 PM

My understanding is that this will be accomplished via the individual EZ-Pass IAG members adding multi-protocol RFID tag readers that support SeGo and 6C in addition to the original TDM protocol as part of their regular equipment upgrades at their toll collection facilities. Interoperability with the IAG will need to be enabled on a per-agency basis because it requires the home agency (the issuer of the tags, so PeachPass in this instance) to accept the IAG's standardized transaction control format into their billing systems.

I have not seen any indication that GDOT will be installing any TDM readers on its facilities so I am left to assume there will not be any reciprocity with the IAG. My advice to Georgia residents who regularly drive in EZ-Pass territory is to get an NC Quick Pass hard-case transponder (or a FLEX model, which I have) that supports all three protocols and will work along the entire East Coast without potential compatiblity shenanigans.

I'm confused, what's the point of the IAG allowing Georgia to join (which occurred administratively in 2021) if the IAG/E-ZPass doesn't eventually achieve full interoperability with GA/Peach Pass ?

lordsutch

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 04, 2023, 10:24:00 AM

I expect that GDOT will rely on plate matching for passenger cars from E-ZPass states; there can't be that many people using tags from that far afield on GDOT's toll facilities, which all ban trucks and are geared toward peak commuter traffic. Unlike Florida and NC, there are no active plans or even thoughts I'm aware of to build true toll roads or the like that would attract out-of-state traffic, for better or worse.

MASTERNC

NY E-ZPass now says E-ZPass is accepted in Georgia.  Guessing going the other direction is taking some time.

Tomahawkin

Went 2 The Rotten Apple 2 weeks ago. My Peachpass was tolled up there, Hence the 60 dollars I paid on tolls Im certain that EZ Pass is accepted in Florida?

ran4sh

Has anyone else noticed that the 511GA site now shows mile markers on the map, and in the case of state routes, the mileage doesn't reset at county lines? Maybe Georgia will start to change the actual mile markers posted

https://511ga.org/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.