News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trademark

8 Lanes definitely seems like it was overkill for the sections north of 610. But it makes sense for surrounding the 694/494 area as that middle merge is dangerous especially in bad weather.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Kind of funny, considering cloverleafs/cloverleaves are no longer considered to be the panacea they once were.

Though I must say, whenever I encounter a huge traffic jam in the Twin Cities, I can always count on being able to turn around by way of the next cloverleaf–simply by using three of the four loop ramps.  That comes in handy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 05, 2023, 10:56:22 AM
A few of those need more flyovers/turbines.

But, if we think of them as art, then they no longer need to be functional.  Subliminal...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

n0ax

I've always been fond of the 35E/494 cloverleaf featuring CD roads on both 494 and 35W, a turbine movement from WB 494 to SB 35E and large loops. I understand it was built quite late in the mid-80s which most likely accounts for it's generous design versus more deficient ones *cough* 494/35W *cough*.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: n0ax on January 05, 2023, 03:32:54 PM
I've always been fond of the 35E/494 cloverleaf featuring CD roads on both 494 and 35W, a turbine movement from WB 494 to SB 35E and large loops. I understand it was built quite late in the mid-80s which most likely accounts for it's generous design versus more deficient ones *cough* 494/35W *cough*.

I always feel a little guilty going down the loop from NB 100 to WB 62 after dark because my lights shine right into somebody's house. :D

Papa Emeritus

Today's STrib has an article about upgrades MnDoT is planning for Highway 65.

The upgrades include improvements to the intersections at 99th, 105th, and 109th/County Road 12.

However, the article says there aren't funds available yet to make 65 completely limited access between 97th and 117th. Anoka County hopes to have funding in place by 2025.

Here's a link to the article:

https://www.startribune.com/blaine-anoka-county-get-9-million-in-federal-funds-for-hwy-65-upgrades/600241779/?refresh=true

TheHighwayMan3561

My wish list for Central Ave, aside from the above:

-Turn the 89th Ave NE intersection into RIROs. More than once I have confused those stoplights with the lights at the immediately adjacent US 10 interchange, plus it's another stoplight causing congestion issues in a crowded area.
-Finish six-laning Central between Anoka CSAH 14 and US 10.
-Something will probably need to be done about the aging decrepit cloverleaf at County 10, but don't know if there are plans for that.

DandyDan

Made my first trip into Albert Lea via old US 16/US 65 in a while tonight and noticed it was reconstructed such that you had to go right, but if you wanted to go left, they provided a U-turn ramp further down the road. There was also decent pavement markings, not to mention pavement.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

invincor

Quote from: DandyDan on January 10, 2023, 05:58:25 AM
Made my first trip into Albert Lea via old US 16/US 65 in a while tonight and noticed it was reconstructed such that you had to go right, but if you wanted to go left, they provided a U-turn ramp further down the road. There was also decent pavement markings, not to mention pavement.

They've done the same thing to the US 61 4-lane stretch from Wabasha southwards.  I've seen this used a lot in the Michigan U.P. as well. 

froggie

Quote from: Papa Emeritus on January 09, 2023, 03:26:12 PM
The upgrades include improvements to the intersections at 99th, 105th, and 109th/County Road 12.

Here's the city of Blaine's project website.  Near the bottom is a zoomable aerial image that shows the preferred alternative.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 10, 2023, 01:49:30 AM
-Turn the 89th Ave NE intersection into RIROs. More than once I have confused those stoplights with the lights at the immediately adjacent US 10 interchange, plus it's another stoplight causing congestion issues in a crowded area.

MnDOT's study suggests that they're looking at a right-in-only southbound and a right-out-only northbound at 89th, with the opposite at 85th and an overpass at 87th.

Quote-Something will probably need to be done about the aging decrepit cloverleaf at County 10, but don't know if there are plans for that.

MnDOT's study looked at 4 alternatives at CSAH 10:  a diamond interchange on 65 (signals on 10), a diamond interchange on 10 (signals on 65), a continuous-flow intersection (or "displaced left turns", if you will), and what they called a "signalized rotary"...think of 2 sets of one-way roads crossing each other at-grade with signals.  The diamond interchange on 10 and the "signalized rotary" are the alternatives currently being considered.

texaskdog

Quote from: discochris on October 30, 2022, 10:33:54 PM
Saw a terrible sign today.

Coming back from my friend's cabin in Crosby, there was some sort of detour for 23 west of Milaca. 
There was a detour sign near Pease directing people to follow 169.

And the detour sign for 169 was using an Interstate shield for 169.  :no:

kinda cr*p that ruins your day

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 09:21:08 AM
Kind of funny, considering cloverleafs/cloverleaves are no longer considered to be the panacea they once were.

Though I must say, whenever I encounter a huge traffic jam in the Twin Cities, I can always count on being able to turn around by way of the next cloverleaf–simply by using three of the four loop ramps.  That comes in handy.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

n0ax

I noticed in Houston County, MnDOT owns a significant amount of ROW abutting TH 26, any idea why? Seems like far more ROW than would be necessary for just the existing roadway, unless MnDOT possess it because properties were landlocked or something? Ex. https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=137&LayerID=1649&PageTypeID=4&PageID=10218&KeyValue=040115000

JREwing78

Quote from: n0ax on January 13, 2023, 02:01:04 PM
I noticed in Houston County, MnDOT owns a significant amount of ROW abutting TH 26, any idea why? Seems like far more ROW than would be necessary for just the existing roadway, unless MnDOT possess it because properties were landlocked or something? Ex. https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=137&LayerID=1649&PageTypeID=4&PageID=10218&KeyValue=040115000

I'm going to hazard a guess it's related to running next to a railroad line for the entire distance to the Iowa state line; they want sufficient distance from the railroad track to allow cars to safely negotiate the crossing, and to provide a gradual side slope so the roadway doesn't collapse and wash onto the tracks. They also don't want a flurry of folks building shacks between the road and railroad, as that's a hazardous location for cars running off the road, or rail cars derailing from the tracks.

Papa Emeritus

A lengthy STrib article about what cities and counties want to do with Minnesota's surplus said Washington County's top priority is $50 million for an interchange between 36 and Century Avenue, and another $20 Million for an interchange between 36 and Lake Elmo Avenue.

Hopefully, both interchanges will be built soon.

n0ax

Looks like C.S. McCrossan won the I-494 Bloomington Phase-1 rebuild contract for 377 million. I recall they were awarded the 169 interchange and prior 494 widening project from 394 to 212/5...

TheHighwayMan3561

Took a drive up to my old home in Elk River yesterday.

-101/169 is now free-flow through the interchange with US 10, so that part of the work at least is mostly complete even if there's still another year of work on the interchange coming. A new, larger END MN 101 shield was installed to replace the old easy-to-miss "END NORTH 101".
-A little surprised going northbound that a green advance exit sign for Main St was posted already suggesting a new interchange there, even though that was not one of the interchanges built this year and it remains an at-grade intersection for now. Usually that would be covered or otherwise noting it's not an exit yet.
-The bizarre BUSINESS US 169 shield is still there.

roadwaywiz95

For this weekend's presentation, we're getting the whole group back together for the annual "Virtual Road Meet" program. Come and spend an afternoon with your favorite road-related content creators & commentators as we discuss the history and features of the freeways & bridges of the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN metro area.

If you'd like to join us live, we'll get started on Saturday (2/4) at 12 PM ET. Either way, a link to the event location can be found below and we look forward to seeing you in attendance:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 26, 2023, 11:25:25 PM
-A little surprised going northbound that a green advance exit sign for Main St was posted already suggesting a new interchange there, even though that was not one of the interchanges built this year and it remains an at-grade intersection for now. Usually that would be covered or otherwise noting it's not an exit yet.

Responding late here, but did the sign physically use the word "EXIT"?

-----------------

Meanwhile, I know I'm a bit early for MnDOT's usual spring road construction announcement, but I was digging through project websites and noted a number of roundabout, interchange, and a few widening projects that will begin this year.  This list doesn't include ongoing projects like the above-mentioned 169 Elk River or the new 10 interchange at Thurston Ave in Anoka.

New roundabouts coming in 2023:

US 2/MN 65
US 2/MN 194
MN 7/McLeod CSAH 1
MN 11/MN 313
MN 11/Lake St (Warroad)
MN 13/LeSueur CSAH 28 (N of Montgomery)
MN 21/Sawmill Rd/Old Hwy 169 (Jordan)
MN 24/Hemlock St (Annandale)
MN 25/Wright CSAH 83 (N. Buffalo)
MN 57/Dodge CSAH 34
MN 57/Main St (Kasson)

Worth noting that the MN 57/Main St project will eliminate what AFAIK is the only traffic signal in Dodge County.

The two MN 11 roundabouts will replace the two signals currently existing in Warroad.  Roseau County will still have 3 signals in Roseau, though one of those (along MN 89) is slated for replacement with a roundabout in a few years.

New interchanges beginning in 2023:

US 10/Anoka CSAH 56
US 10/Anoka CSAH 57
US 10/MN 23 (replacement with folded-diamond)
I-35W/I-494
I-494/Portland (also removes Nicollet & 12th Ave ramps)

The US 10 Anoka County projects will extend the freeway section further west of Anoka, though I'm not 100% if they're eliminating all the private access between CSAH 56 and CSAH 83.  If so, the freeway section on US 10 will eventually extend to about a mile west of CSAH 83.

Widening projects in 2023:

MN 23 New London to Richmond
I-494 MnPASS 100-to-35W
US 61 passing lanes near Frontenac
US 212 westbound passing lane west of Sacred Heart

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2023, 10:43:17 AM

Correct. It said "EXIT 1/2 MILE" if I recall the distance correctly.

Continuing Minnesota's erratic nature in the department, it looks like the 169 Elk River freeway will not have exit numbers.

Zaphod

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 18, 2023, 07:21:07 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 18, 2023, 10:43:17 AM

Correct. It said "EXIT 1/2 MILE" if I recall the distance correctly.

Continuing Minnesota's erratic nature in the department, it looks like the 169 Elk River freeway will not have exit numbers.

There is also a green advanced exit sign for 193rd Ave/Jackson St (that hasn't been built) going southbound on 169 near the new 197th Ave exit.

TheHighwayMan3561

Something interesting froggie found. Plans are being proposed for a new interchange on I-35 at the plane of 400th St in North Branch, giving this growing region a second access exit, but the interesting part is there are long-range proposals to reroute TH 95 onto a new alignment using this road.

https://www.senate.mn/committees/2021-2022/3102_Committee_on_Transportation_Finance_and_Policy/Handouts%20for%204192022.pdf

froggie

^ This map from North Branch suggests that, if 95 isn't rerouted to the north, another alternative is to put it on a one-way pair through North Branch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.