News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A little redundant, don't ya think? - I495 Southbound in MA

Started by DrivingFAZt, October 08, 2019, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrivingFAZt

"The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. This quest may be attempted by the weak with as much hope as the strong. Yet it is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: Small hands do them because they must..."

hbelkins

Quote from: DrivingFAZt on October 08, 2019, 02:01:49 PM
Saw this wonderful pairing on my morning commute

Are they installing new signs? A number of states are beginning to remove signs mounted on bridges and put them on separate structures.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

The sign on the bridge looks older, so I'd say it's a replacement sign.  Installing a new sign in front or behind the old sign is a common tactic, as that way there doesn't need to be a period where there's no sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Also common practice when replacing signs to remove them from bridge overpasses.

I pass by this one on a daily basis:  https://goo.gl/maps/w9S9RepCNEe72DCj7  You can see in the background the older sign for 168.  Because this is part of a construction project I gave it a pass when the older sign wasn't removed...at first.  However the new sign has existed for 3 years, so the old sign should've been removed long ago.  2 other similar sign replacements in this area were done at the same time, and interestingly enough those older signs were removed within a week.  Why this one remained is unknown.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 08, 2019, 08:13:52 PM
Quote from: DrivingFAZt on October 08, 2019, 02:01:49 PM
Saw this wonderful pairing on my morning commute

Are they installing new signs? A number of states are beginning to remove signs mounted on bridges and put them on separate structures.

Yes.  MassDOT practice when updating signs is to replace bridge-mounted signs with signs on independent supports.  This sign was installed as part of the I-495 Methuen to Amesbury sign replacement project currently under construction.  As I've noted in other posts, most states are getting away from bridge-mounted signs because of eventual damage to the bridge parapet and girder caused by wind acting on the sign panel, resulting in a torsional effect on the attachments to the parapet wall and the outside bridge girder.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.