Where do most of your Amazon packages come from?

Started by Pink Jazz, May 11, 2018, 09:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2018, 01:29:11 PM
Remember when Amazon was an awesome online site for buying . . . pretty much just books?

My, how times have changed.
Yes, vividly.  My college's library was a joke, and the public library for the town it was in was even worse (probably consisted of the collected works of Rick Warren and Joel Osteen and every edition of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader).  I used to love getting bookmarks with every book I purchased.

I also remember when Netflix was a rent-DVDs-by-mail service, which was also a wonderful thing to have when you lived in the sticks and the nearest decent video store was 2 hours away by car.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 13, 2018, 02:31:36 PM
I also remember when Netflix was a rent-DVDs-by-mail service, which was also a wonderful thing to have when you lived in the sticks and the nearest decent video store was 2 hours away by car.

Where I grew up, the two options for renting a movie were the grocery store or Radio Shack.

FWIW, only half of that Radio Shack was a store.  The other half was electronics repair.  Remember that
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2018, 02:42:21 PMFWIW, only half of that Radio Shack was a store.  The other half was electronics repair.  Remember that
No, I don't remember that.  I do remember when they actually sold all of the components you'd need to build and maintain electronics, as opposed to a store full of toys and a drawer of fuses in the back, as it was right before they went out of business.

Pink Jazz

It does seem that even within the same metropolitan area that you may get a different share of carriers.  I heard the West Valley of the Phoenix metropolitan area gets a lot of OnTrac.  As for my ZIP code UPS/FedEx/OnTrac charge a delivery area surcharge which could be why I see them less in my area than Amazon Logistics or USPS.

jon daly

Quote from: Brandon on June 30, 2018, 11:20:01 PM
Beats the crap out of me.  I only order from Amazon once in a blue moon, if even that often.

Less so for me. Jeff Bezos doesn't need my money. I'm not sure if I've ever bought anything from them that wasn't a book.

I think I'm a closeted Amish.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jon daly on December 15, 2018, 03:55:12 PM
Beats the crap out of me.  I only order from Amazon once in a blue moon, if even that often.

Less so for me. Jeff Bezos doesn't need my money. I'm not sure if I've ever bought anything from them that wasn't a book.

"You've been spending most your life
Living in an Amish paradise"-"˜Weird' Al Yankovic

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on December 15, 2018, 03:55:12 PM

I used to sneer at the idea of a Kindle, but I commute by public transit, and it's lovely to be able to read 3 or 4 books at a time while only having to carry around a small tablet. I just have the basic, non-backlit model, and I understand the lack of backlighting means it's better for your eyes.

MantyMadTown

Surprisingly I get a lot from Kentucky, even though we have an Amazon distribution center near Kenosha.
Forget the I-41 haters

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MantyMadTown on December 16, 2018, 11:51:15 PM
Surprisingly I get a lot from Kentucky, even though we have an Amazon distribution center near Kenosha.

Not every distribution center has the same things on hand, I'm sure.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

index

Also a lot from Kentucky. For some reason, a lot of the Amazon packages I order end up getting here late because they get shipped to Columbia SC instead of Charlotte then here. When I notice it hasn't arrived and I get a "Sorry your package is late!" 95% of the time, it's been delivered to Columbia. Don't know what's going on there.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Pink Jazz

You should know that the return address on the label is not the address that the package shipped from; it is a returns center for the package.  Amazon has two returns centers in Kentucky, Lexington and Hebron.  If your package shipped via Amazon Logistics Amazon has actually redesigned their shipping labels last October, with the shipping fulfillment center code on the lower left box.  Examples include PHX6, ONT6, or LGB3.  Usually the fulfillment center codes are named after a nearby airport.

Quote from: index on December 17, 2018, 12:45:11 AM

Also a lot from Kentucky. For some reason, a lot of the Amazon packages I order end up getting here late because they get shipped to Columbia SC instead of Charlotte then here. When I notice it hasn't arrived and I get a "Sorry your package is late!" 95% of the time, it's been delivered to Columbia. Don't know what's going on there.

That facility in Columbia is likely a Sortation Center.  The Sortation Centers are regional centers that sort packages to local Amazon Logistics Delivery Stations or to USPS Post Offices for last mile delivery.

SectorZ

Before autumn, all my Amazon shipments came from mostly USPS with a tad via UPS. Since Amazon got a fulfillment center up and running in nearby Nashua NH, it's been about 50% Amazon and 50% USPS/UPS.

jeffandnicole

Amazon uses a company called 'Last Mile Delivery' in North Jersey.

Apparently, one driver also believed in something similar to what you see by some cash registers: leave a penny package, take a penny package.

https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2018/12/driver-delivered-amazon-orders-but-swiped-other-packages-left-at-homes-cops-say.html

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
I've had the same experience regarding KY Amazon package origin (mostly far northern KY; in the metro region across the Ohio River from Cincinnati) -- but lately that has also spread to ebay as well, particularly for items obviously of Asian origin.  That area seems to have become "distribution central"!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.