The Sorry State of Affairs in Automobilia in the 1970s, 80s and 90s

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 30, 2016, 11:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 16, 2020, 11:50:30 PM
I recently saw an old Ford commercial on YouTube for the late-1970's LTD, and they were comparing it to the Rolls-Royce insisting it was almost as quite as a Rolls. Somebody posted a comment saying the Ford was the quieter car.
Oh no doubt would a 1970's LTD do better then a rolls royce. Thats a time when they built cars like tanks & they also killed like tanks.

Looking at the picture of a 1978 LTD & the 1978 Rolls Royce, it looks like the rolls royce is small & built shitty, while the LTD looks like a real strong built car.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

D-Dey65

Quote from: Tonytone on July 16, 2020, 11:58:01 PM
I recently saw an old Ford commercial on YouTube for the late-1970's LTD, and they were comparing it to the Rolls-Royce insisting it was almost as quite as a Rolls. Somebody posted a comment saying the Ford was the quieter car.
Oh no doubt would a 1970's LTD do better then a rolls royce. Thats a time when they built cars like tanks & they also killed like tanks.

Looking at the picture of a 1978 LTD & the 1978 Rolls Royce, it looks like the rolls royce is small & built shitty, while the LTD looks like a real strong built car.
Yes, but check out the 1980 version, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOIU3v3RFU
The year before this Ford downsized the LTD.

Max Rockatansky

For some reason the name "LTD" always makes me think of a deli sandwich.  I'll have an LTD with no Mayo to go please...

bugo

That isn't always true. For example, Chevrolet and Cadillac use the same LT engine in their cars and trucks.

Tonytone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 17, 2020, 12:05:47 AM

Hmm, I wonder if this is due to the absence of Noise cancellation technology or better sound proofing in cars. Luxe's cars such as RR & Bentley use advanced technology & air suspension, something I assume was not available at that time so anything in a RR would be simply mechanical or design at that time in 1980.

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: bugo on July 17, 2020, 12:12:41 AM
That isn't always true. For example, Chevrolet and Cadillac use the same LT engine in their cars and trucks.
Chevrolet & Cadillac is like comparing Acura & Honda.

It's the same thing.

iPhone

bugo

Quote from: Tonytone on July 17, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

It's the same thing.

You said:
However we cannot lie & say we dont feel the difference when buy a luxury car compared to a non luxury car, even though many low end cars are now very luxury on the inside. The engine & materials used can be noticed as sub par or of low quality.

The 6.2L V8 in the Cadillac Escalade is exactly the same 6.2L V8 in the Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon. The V8 engines that Cadillac uses are identical to the V8 engines found in Chevrolets. Your claim does not hold water.

Tonytone

Quote from: bugo on July 17, 2020, 01:50:52 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 17, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

It's the same thing.

You said:
However we cannot lie & say we dont feel the difference when buy a luxury car compared to a non luxury car, even though many low end cars are now very luxury on the inside. The engine & materials used can be noticed as sub par or of low quality.

The 6.2L V8 in the Cadillac Escalade is exactly the same 6.2L V8 in the Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon. The V8 engines that Cadillac uses are identical to the V8 engines found in Chevrolets. Your claim does not hold water.
Woah woah BUDDY.

I didnt compare Cadillac to Benz. I said Chevy &. Cadillac is the same.

Compare Benz & BMW & now we are talkin.

iPhone

bugo

Cadillacs and Chevys use the same engines. What's controversial about that statement?

Tonytone

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2020, 08:13:06 PM
Cadillacs and Chevys use the same engines. What's controversial about that statement?
Yea you compared two similar brands when I said

You can feel the difference in non luxury & luxury vehicles.

Cadillac is a luxury vehicle. But it wont be as luxury as a Benz, BMW, RR, Bently & etc.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on July 26, 2020, 08:17:43 PM
Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2020, 08:13:06 PM
Yea you compared two similar brands when I said

You can feel the difference in non luxury & luxury vehicles.

Cadillac is a luxury vehicle. But it wont be as luxury as a Benz, BMW, RR, Bently & etc.

iPhone

Wasn't a large point of the Northstar V8 to have a technologically superior DOHC engine for the Cadillac brand?  I seem to recall that Cadillac pushed back harder than the other GM divisions over keeping their own brand engines.  Wasn't Oldsmobile somehow involved in the development of the Northstar?

GCrites

Oldsmobile got a "detuned" version of the Northstar in the Aurora but whether or not it was developed by Olds seems to be in dispute.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 17, 2020, 12:05:47 AM

Actually, the 1980 model was a year after the downsizing.

Additionally, Ford's been comparing its full-sizes with Rolls-Royces since 1965.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZOjo7dHLZs
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 10, 2020, 02:31:30 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 10, 2020, 10:46:26 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 10, 2020, 01:24:13 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on July 08, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
So under the buick line up from 90 2000 generation what do you guys think about them?

I think they are the last car to have that old school look on them but they are 100% cop stoppers now a days, I dont know how people looked at them back then.

They are definitely a good car if they are clean & nice even though I prefer the 80s box model more.

iPhone
In general with GM

Buy:
-G body
-H body
-C Body
-Epsilon body
-S body (NUMMI platform shared with Toyota for the Geo Prizim and Toyota Camry)

Avoid:
U body (minivan platform)
W-Body (ie Chevy Luminas. They were built very poorly.)
GMT 330

Check for defects:
N-bodies
J-bodies
You forgot about the A, B, E, F, T and X bodies. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say buy for the B, E and F, avoid for the T and X, and check for defects for the A.
I was only covering platforns in use from the 90s-early 2000s.
The final year of the RWD G-bodies was 1988 (Monte Carlo/Monte Carlo SS/Cutlass Supreme Classic).
The final year of the FWD A-bodies was 1996 (Buick Century/Olds Cutlass Ciera).
The final year of the RWD B-bodies (Caprice/Impala SS & Roadmaster) was also 1996.
Production of the F-bodies continued through 2002.
The first year of the T-body/Dustbuster-nosed minivans was 1990.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 07, 2020, 11:28:24 AMHas anyone else ever thought GM could have saved all the divisions if they just had fewer models per division (and therefore less re-badging)?
Actually, during the early 80s; there was a short-lived plan at GM to do just that.  Have Chevy & Pontiac sell only smaller cars with Buick, Olds & Cadillac sell the larger ones.

Such was one (but not the only) reason why Pontiac initially bowed out of the full-size car market early on in '82 when it cancelled its B-bodied Catalina/Bonneville line.  Ponitac would have to back-peddle somewhat when its Canadian & later US market still wanted a full-size Pontiac; which was why the Parisienne, a name previously used on the Canadian equivalent of the Bonneville, made its mid-season debut in both the US & Canadian markets as a poorly-disguised Caprice.  Later vintages of the Parisienne would eventually lose its Caprice-in-Drag look and appear more Pontiac/Bonneville-like with its exterior.

Such was also one reason why both Buick & Olds received their FWD H-bodied versions of the LeSabre & Delta 88 first for the '86 model year.  While Ponitac would get their version a year later, replacing both the B-bodied Parisienne & the G-bodied Bonneville; Chevy never did receive a version of the H-body.  Of course, Chevy didn't care at the time because its RWD full-sizes (just Caprices by this time) were experiencing upticks in sales due to lower gas prices & an improved economy.

While the above-separation plan would've reduced product overlapping; consumers, back then still had more of a brand-loyalty mindset.  In their eyes & for better/for worse, they would just like to shop at one place for their new cars regardless of type & size.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ned Weasel

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 08, 2020, 12:25:46 PM
While the above-separation plan would've reduced product overlapping; consumers, back then still had more of a brand-loyalty mindset.  In their eyes & for better/for worse, they would just like to shop at one place for their new cars regardless of type & size.

Interesting.  Well, that sure explains why the Cadillac Cimarron was a thing!  Honestly, if I was a car collector, I'd totally want one of those.  :)
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 08, 2020, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 08, 2020, 12:25:46 PM

Interesting.  Well, that sure explains why the Cadillac Cimarron was a thing!  Honestly, if I was a car collector, I'd totally want one of those.  :)

$1,450 to make the dream happen:

https://www.smartmotorguide.com/L49434543

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 08, 2020, 08:39:22 PM

And more thousands of dollars to get it in good condition!  Stop tempting me!  :P

I'll put a bumper sticker on it that says "Everyone else wants a DeLorean."
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 08, 2020, 10:50:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 08, 2020, 08:39:22 PM

And more thousands of dollars to get it in good condition!  Stop tempting me!  :P

I'll put a bumper sticker on it that says "Everyone else wants a DeLorean."

I've been telling my wife for awhile that I want the most horrible running Chevette I can find.  The trouble is just finding one at all, the price seems to be cheap enough even on good examples. 

Stephane Dumas

Nissan kicked out Carlos Ghosn (and they got implied in a scandal referred as "Ghosngate". Then some Japanese officials wanted to see Honda and Nissan merged together. Honda really dodged a bullet.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/report-nissan-honda-tie-up-didnt-makes-it-to-the-first-date/

Tonytone

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 18, 2020, 03:07:56 PM
Nissan kicked out Carlos Ghosn (and they got implied in a scandal referred as "Ghosngate". Then some Japanese officials wanted to see Honda and Nissan merged together. Honda really dodged a bullet.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/report-nissan-honda-tie-up-didnt-makes-it-to-the-first-date/
I see Honda taking over nissan as a good thing. First thing Honda would do is get rid of that damn CVT transmission that nissan loves so much.

That CVT is a major reason why alot of people dont like nissan anymore. I had a nissan altima 2015 for 3 years it was a good car. That CVT was bad tho. I hated it.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on August 18, 2020, 03:40:43 PM
I see Honda taking over nissan as a good thing. First thing Honda would do is get rid of that damn CVT transmission that nissan loves so much.

That CVT is a major reason why alot of people dont like nissan anymore. I had a nissan altima 2015 for 3 years it was a good car. That CVT was bad tho. I hated it.

iPhone

Nissan just did a CVT bad but the bigger issue is that they are way behind all their competitors in almost every facet of the automotive market.  Nissans feel old and look the part too.  I can't even think of a single Nissan vehicle that I would even consider buying in any market segment.  Even the "halo"  GT-R feels old and outclassed by competitors.   

Takumi

Uh...don’t buy a non-manual 1.5T Honda then. They have CVTs.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2020, 04:02:56 PM
Nissan just did a CVT bad but the bigger issue is that they are way behind all their competitors in almost every facet of the automotive market.  Nissans feel old and look the part too.  I can’t even think of a single Nissan vehicle that I would even consider buying in any market segment.  Even the “halo” GT-R feels old and outclassed by competitors.   
The GT-R actually is very old. I think it debuted in 2008. Other than some cosmetic changes and making the turbos crank out more power it’s pretty much the same car today. The 370Z is also a decade old by now, but unlike the GT-R there’s a replacement finally in the works.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on August 19, 2020, 12:13:33 AM
Uh...don't buy a non-manual 1.5T Honda then. They have CVTs.

Nissan just did a CVT bad but the bigger issue is that they are way behind all their competitors in almost every facet of the automotive market.  Nissans feel old and look the part too.  I can't even think of a single Nissan vehicle that I would even consider buying in any market segment.  Even the "halo"  GT-R feels old and outclassed by competitors.   
The GT-R actually is very old. I think it debuted in 2008. The 370Z is also a decade old by now, but unlike the GT-R there's a replacement finally in the works.

And that's the thing, I remember when the 350Z and GT-R were both hot performance cars to have.  Nissan never did anything to keep them relevant and they ended up surpassed by competitors.  The same phenomenon can be seen with everything Nissan makes.  The Altima used to be competitive with other Mid-Size cars but now isn't relevant at all.  The Titan was competitive the first years it was out and has long faded into obscurity. 

Tonytone

Quote from: Takumi on August 19, 2020, 12:13:33 AM
Uh...don't buy a non-manual 1.5T Honda then. They have CVTs.

The GT-R actually is very old. I think it debuted in 2008. Other than some cosmetic changes and making the turbos crank out more power it's pretty much the same car today. The 370Z is also a decade old by now, but unlike the GT-R there's a replacement finally in the works.
Atleast honda didnt put a CVT in every single vehicle. Its ok to have 1 or 2 but every single car NAH.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.