News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Post Count?

Started by Hellfighter, May 23, 2009, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

Just curious, I just back on the forums, and I noticed that my post count suddenly went from over 220 down to 90! What happened during the transfer of the forum? I'm not terribly upset about this, I just wanted to find out if this was standard or something with my account?

SSOWorld

We did a clean-up of the forum during the downtime.  Several posts and topics were removed as a result.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Are those "stars" related to your postcount? If not, what are they then?

SSOWorld

They are related to post count
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Scott5114

Well, the yellow and blue ones are related to post count, anyway. Mods and admins have red stars, which correspond to the level of access they have. DOT Employees have a green star.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

deathtopumpkins

None of the stars are working for me... just displaying the ***** that shows up in place of the images if there isn't one set to the membergroup.

And I take it we aren't using the old numbered ones?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SSOWorld

I see a single blue star under your profile D2P.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

deathtopumpkins

Hmmm... now I see a single *
You think clearing the cache would help?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Scott5114

Yes, try doing that.

The old numbered ones were always too difficult for me to read, and the difference between a "16" and an "18" wasn't dramatic enough. And besides, someone decided it'd be a wonderful idea to upload them as friggin' BITMAPS...

deathtopumpkins

Cleared cache... No effect on either iPod (safari) or PC (firefox).

And yeah... That makes sense. ;)

Scott5114

Okay, then: What do you see in the brackets?

[ ]

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2009, 04:57:16 AM
Okay, then: What do you see in the brackets?

[ ]
:pan:<-- just in case you don't see the right thing :P
Scott O.

Raise your what?

deathtopumpkins

I see the red green and blue stars...

EDIT: I think I've figured it out. I'm still using the old highway theme, which must not have the images set for it. It works on the SMF Core theme.

aswnl

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 25, 2009, 12:24:36 PM
I'm still using the old highway theme, which must not have the images set for it.
Well, then no stars for me. The highway-theme is my favorite.

vdeane

Yeah, the stars don't work for highway.  Just a bunch of red x's.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Okay, here is the problem with the HighWay theme: the admin configuration for the stars and what not allows you to select a file for each rank and a number of times for that image to appear. The catch is the files must be stored in a subdirectory of the files that make up each theme.

On the default theme, an admin has a red star and this image is repeated 5 times. The HighWay theme's admin rank consists of a red bar that says "admin" and this is shown once. And of course this file is named completely different from what the default theme's file is named. Thus, the problem: if one fixes HighWay, then the default theme is broken, and if one fixes the default theme, the HighWay theme is broken.

As of right now, 409 people are using the default theme and 8 are using HighWay.

Speaking of which, the reason we are using the SMF default theme as the forum default theme is because we had to remove the old theme that we had up before due to the insistence of the former admin whose name began with a "V" who felt that it belonged to him. Feel free to write him email telling him thanks.

We will have a custom, probably road-related theme up at some point.

vdeane

You can't have both files?

Incidentally, I never understood why said former admin changed the theme from HighWay (which looks nice) to different themes which I think didn't look that great.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Well, we could copy the applicable files over into the HighWay directory, and that's what I'd do, except I lack FTP access.

SSOWorld

Check again... you should have them there now :sombrero:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

vdeane

They look great.  Thanks!

Truvelo

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2009, 04:28:33 AMAs of right now, 409 people are using the default theme and 8 are using HighWay.

Is the HighWay theme advertised anywhere? When this forum returned I've been using the default blue theme because I didn't know HighWay existed which might explain why only 8 people are using it. I much prefer HighWay with it's US and Interstate shields to differentiate threads with new posts :colorful:
Speed limits limit life

deathtopumpkins

Well, the option's in your profile... I don't see the point of advertising that there are different themes...

J N Winkler

I actually prefer the current (default) theme--back when HighWay was the default, I was actually looking for ways to change the theme because I really dislike white-on-black text, and I found the use of Interstate and US route shields as read flags unintuitive.  As far as I am concerned, there is no need to change from the system default, but if this is done, I would request that the new default theme have text in negative contrast.  Light background is also no worse for viewing continuous-tone images and works better with images captured from documents, e.g. extracts from maps and construction plans.

Where post count is concerned, I see that V**r is listed as having a post count of 1 even though all of his posts (which I guess number in the hundreds) are still here.  This means that, at least in his case, the post count is misleading.  If the system will allow it, it would promote transparency to have his post count listed as "undefined" or "suppressed" rather than quoting a fictitious number.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

I've read that white on black has less glare than black on white.

J N Winkler

I have seen advice for web design which advocates light backgrounds for readability, but there are plenty of advocates on both sides and it is something of a religious debate, similar to gas versus electric.  This synopsis (by a dark-background advocate) has some interesting links:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/misc/ce01-DarkBackgroundIsGoodForYou/

It has to be noted, though, that some of the arguments against light backgrounds are misconceived.

*  With LCD screens, power consumption is approximately the same whether backgrounds are light or not.

*  Staring at a light screen is not the same as staring at a light bulb.  The net effect on the eyes depends on ambient lighting (which should not be much weaker than task lighting).

In business and professional contexts light backgrounds predominate.  The vast majority of computer applications have light backgrounds as their default (CAD programs are the main exception).  The websites of most government agencies and Fortune 500 companies use light backgrounds.  When highway construction plans are scanned, the background is set to white in the vast majority of cases.  Screen readers generally rely on negative contrast.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.