News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on July 21, 2019, 09:39:13 AM
That is an incredible collection Max. As I was scrolling down, I was beginning to worry you didn't have a US 80 shield. But then I saw 2 of them. You said the embossed ones were replicas, but what about the blue one? Was that one from AZ?

Yes the blue one is an Arizona shield.  Bought that one from Jake Bear I believe back in 2012. 

MNHighwayMan

I have a new (well, sort of new, at this point) interest in sign collecting: shields for routes that don't exist. I already posted the first sign of this kind that I acquired, the US-248A marker that is a state/US mix-up error for NY-248A. Now, the second one is the one that Brian556 posted about in this thread, the Texas Business Loop I-70 shield. (Yes, there are BL I-70s out there, but not in Texas. I'm pretty sure this was intended to be a sign for a US-70 business loop.)

Here's what it looks like after I cleaned the thin film of dirt off the front. It's in unused condition, aside from minor scuffs from being shuffled around in storage.

What's really cool about it is all of the legend is cut-out from white sheeting and applied to the green background, rather than the green having been printed onto white sheeting. All the lettering is thus raised from the surface a little, which was something I tried to get a good picture of, but it seemed outside the capability of my smartphone camera.

The fabrication sticker on the back:

Max Rockatansky

Two new sign pickups.

CA 118

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I-280

Max Rockatansky

Two new additions:

CA 202

CA 168 (which completes the Fresno set for me)

ClassicHasClass

Got that US 30S in. Looks nice. The mottled patina adds to the charm.

US71

Unless something wows me, I'm probably going to lay low on signs until January.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a modern CA 108.  Its beat to hell but the price way lower than probably reasonably expected given CA 108 crosses Sonora Pass.

ClassicHasClass

Jake had his CONN. US 6A offered on eBay, so I snagged it. It's got, um, "charm." Like hol(e)y charm.

But, there are no 6As left in Connecticut, and I probably drove one of the ones this sign was posted on, so there's that.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on November 22, 2019, 12:12:17 AM
Jake had his CONN. US 6A offered on eBay, so I snagged it. It's got, um, "charm." Like hol(e)y charm.

But, there are no 6As left in Connecticut, and I probably drove one of the ones this sign was posted on, so there's that.

Jake usually has some good stuff he's willing to let go of.  I got a blue US 80 shield from Arizona that he had years ago.  I want to say I bought a couple other signs but I can't recall what they were.  I have a couple of his replicas that I've gotten second hand through eBay. 

Max Rockatansky

Snagged an M-22 shield.  I got a pristine one a couple years back but gave it to my brother-in-law as a gift considering he has a cabin right off the highway:

Scott5114

The fonts on that M-22 look all sorts of off...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2019, 01:53:03 AM
The fonts on that M-22 look all sorts of off...

Fortunately not quite as bad as some out in the field these days:

https://flic.kr/p/XhgvEA

The interesting thing with M-22 signs is that MDOT has been trying to make them uglier to make them less appealing for signage theft.  This one had a date stamp for assembly back to 2001 which made me think that it probably was pulled from service.  Granted the seller posted another one right after so hopefully that's the case. 

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 154 shield:

Brian556

A post came across my Facebook advertising First Monday Trade Days in Canton TX. It shown a vendor with massive amounts of TxDOT signs. Tons of FM signs as well as green guide signs are shown

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on January 04, 2020, 08:57:23 PM
A post came across my Facebook advertising First Monday Trade Days in Canton TX. It shown a vendor with massive amounts of TxDOT signs. Tons of FM signs as well as green guide signs are shown

There's a guy on e-bay with a bunch of retired TXDOT signs, I wonder if it's the same guy?  If you've never been to Trade Days, it's an experience. :o

Max Rockatansky

ozarkman417

I had the thought of getting a shield of a route that was recently de-commissioned. Of course, the only way I can do this is contacting the DOT directly. Has anyone tried to do this?

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 15, 2020, 09:14:42 PM
I had the thought of getting a shield of a route that was recently de-commissioned. Of course, the only way I can do this is contacting the DOT directly. Has anyone tried to do this?

I've never had any luck, but you can try.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2020, 09:25:47 PM

I've actually heard stories about some Caltrans Districts actually donating old signs or surplus to individuals or groups that put in requests for them.  That said I've never had success and usually whatever someone is looking for will pop up on eBay eventually.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 15, 2020, 11:45:30 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2020, 09:25:47 PM

I've actually heard stories about some Caltrans Districts actually donating old signs or surplus to individuals or groups that put in requests for them.  That said I've never had success and usually whatever someone is looking for will pop up on eBay eventually.

I found a mess of old LA signs in Sarcoxie, Missouri a couple months ago.

ClassicHasClass

I was the beneficiary of one of these anecdotes (TEMPORARY CA 30 is in my garage being slowly restored) but the policy is very, very, very unofficial. The reason they did was I actually showed up in a newspaper article on sign collection specifically mentioning that signpost.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on January 16, 2020, 12:58:20 PM

I was the beneficiary of one of these anecdotes (TEMPORARY CA 30 is in my garage being slowly restored) but the policy is very, very, very unofficial. The reason they did was I actually showed up in a newspaper article on sign collection specifically mentioning that signpost.

I figure if I ever had the opportunity to get a sign directly from Caltrans I would use my Highway articles as a reasoning.  Problem with District 6 is that I accumulated almost everything I've wanted through eBay, private sale, or some collector shows.  That said, I have done a full articles on highways with just a sign alone so it might worth the endeavor from my end to give Caltrans Districts a call. 

US71

ARDOT doesn't give up signs (I've tried). They are taken back to the sign shop and re-faced. Anything that is damaged is either scrapped or cut down for a smaller sign.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a cheap run of the mill I-40 shield out of Texas.  Considering I've clinched I-40 it didn't really matter where a shield came from:

82834812_10156778938238021_5239721678619017216_n by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 20 shield:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.