News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lazy scanning

Started by kurumi, September 19, 2019, 12:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

From an I-84 EIS, 1976, carefully scanned in without unfolding, thank you, this helps a lot:

I see this a lot in the archive sites :banghead:
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

froggie

I sent Google an email 2 years ago inquiring about this issue.  Here's the response I received:

Quote from: Google BooksThank you for contacting us about this volume. The image(s) or page(s) you are requesting was/were purposefully folded into the book at the time of the publication. Unfortunately, this book was scanned prior to our ability to scan these types of pages. The good news is that Google Books continues to improve our processes, and we are now able to scan many such images.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: froggie on September 19, 2019, 09:50:07 PM
Quote from: Google BooksThank you for contacting us about this volume. The image(s) or page(s) you are requesting was/were purposefully folded into the book at the time of the publication. Unfortunately, this book was scanned prior to our ability to scan these types of pages. The good news is that Google Books continues to improve our processes, and we are now able to scan many such images.

But do they actively go back to reports they previously scanned to get the full-size plan sheets or do the reports just get scanned once and thrown in the chipper?

jeffandnicole

Probably scanned by the summertime intern who is contemplating walking out halfway thru their 3rd day on the unpaid job.

There was a story the other day in regards to the history at ESPN.  They admit they have no idea where the recording of their first sports program ever is located, and if anyone has a copy of it.  So while we tend to scan, save and backup everything done today, anything from the 1980's and before can be presumed missing and lost forever if it wasn't recorded and documented.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 20, 2019, 01:51:03 PM
Probably scanned by the summertime intern who is contemplating walking out halfway thru their 3rd day on the unpaid job.

There was a story the other day in regards to the history at ESPN.  They admit they have no idea where the recording of their first sports program ever is located, and if anyone has a copy of it.  So while we tend to scan, save and backup everything done today, anything from the 1980's and before can be presumed missing and lost forever if it wasn't recorded and documented.

Once upon a time, the TV networks routinely wiped and re-used tapes for some broadcasts, especially sports, because they figured people wouldn't be interested in re-watching games where they already knew the result and videotape was pretty expensive in the 1960s. Most famously, for years there was no known full original video recording of Super Bowl I, even though it aired on two TV networks (NBC, which carried the AFL, and CBS, which carried the NFL). The NFL assembled a recording from various sources and then overdubbed a radio broadcast on top of it to create a new recording of that game. At some point in the past they were offering $1 million to anyone who could provide a full original video recording from 1967. According to the New York Times, a guy in Manteo has an almost-complete videotape copy but the NFL refused to buy it from him and said they'd sue him if he sells it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 20, 2019, 04:35:18 PM
Most famously, for years there was no known full original video recording of Super Bowl I, even though it aired on two TV networks (NBC, which carried the AFL, and CBS, which carried the NFL). The NFL assembled a recording from various sources and then overdubbed a radio broadcast on top of it to create a new recording of that game. At some point in the past they were offering $1 million to anyone who could provide a full original video recording from 1967. According to the New York Times, a guy in Manteo has an almost-complete videotape copy but the NFL refused to buy it from him and said they'd sue him if he sells it.

For as big of an institution as the NFL is, it's pathetic that they couldn't be bothered to pay the pittance for the tape.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.