News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2019 Road Trip plans.

Started by ce929wax, November 13, 2018, 01:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 22, 2019, 02:51:51 PM
In late September and early October, my lady and I will be touring eastern Canada, plus Maine!  We will have stops in Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton NB, Halifax, PEI, and Acadia NP.  If there are recommendations you have or any travel advisories I should be aware of, let me know.

Montmorency Falls, a huge waterfall partially in Quebec City (the river defines the city boundary). It's taller than Niagara Falls, though not as wide.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

oscar

If you're thinking of adding Nova Scotia to the itinerary, it's cheaper to take the ferry to PEI from Nova Scotia and leave via the Confederation Bridge to New Brunswick, than vice versa. You get charged a lot for leaving PEI either way, but not at all for arriving, as if to tell you not to be in such a hurry to leave.

PEI is a little too perfect for me. But if I marry someone who prefers something less tropical than Maui for the honeymoon, PEI would be a plan B.

You might consider adding the CAT ferry (operated by Bay Ferries) from Yarmouth NS to Bar Harbor ME (not Portland ME, the west terminal in previous years). IF it's running during the timeframe for your trip, it could be a nifty shortcut to Acadia NP. Alas, the Bay Ferries website says that the Bar Harbor terminal is not yet ready for ferry service, and no firm timetable for when it will be but no earlier than "late summer".
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

Quote from: oscar on July 22, 2019, 03:15:01 PM
If you're thinking of adding Nova Scotia to the itinerary, it's cheaper to take the ferry to PEI from Nova Scotia and leave via the Confederation Bridge to New Brunswick, than vice versa. You get charged a lot for leaving PEI either way, but not at all for arriving, as if to tell you not to be in such a hurry to leave.
According to the website, this is only true if you show up without a reservation.  Reservations charge full price for both directions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: oscar on July 22, 2019, 03:15:01 PM

That was the plan, anyway!  So it's good to hear that's the cheaper option.  I like to keep ferry crossings at either the start or end of driving days on a road trip, so we're thinking of jumping on the ferry to PEI first thing in the morning on our way back west, after staying in New Glasgow.  The other ferry crossing on the trip will be across the St. Lawrence from Quebec City to Levis, at the end of our day in Quebec City.  I may detail the trip further in my own separate thread for further discussion.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

D-Dey65

I have a day trip planned for Northeastern Florida (DeLand, Bunnell, Palm Coast via Ocala National Forest) this coming Tuesday, but I heard there were going to be a lot of thunderstorms east of Ocala National Forest, so I'll probably have to cancel renting a bike when I'm there.

This is of course, before my big NYC road trip for the fall of 2019 either in late-October or November.

kphoger

This year's mission trip to Mexico has been pushed back several months due to scheduling conflicts.  However, my wife and I had already made arrangements to be gone that week, so we've decided to visit family up in Iowa instead.  From KC, I plan to take a different route–up through St Joseph and Maryville, then a combination of state and county highways through Iowa to I-80.  I usually avoid doing so, because the 55mph speed limit gets old after a while, when you realize you could be cruising at 70-80 on the Interstate.  But we've got all the time in the world to get up there this time, so why not!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

D-Dey65

My northeastern Florida day trip was carried out earlier today.

Nothing new to report as far as signage goes.

The northbound I-75 Marion County truck weigh station is under reconstruction.

I can add Florida State Road 11 to the list of roads I've clinched.

Tonight as I was going back I drove along FL 200 and saw a huge traffic jam on I-75. Assuming it was regular rush hour traffic in Ocala (especially after a traffic jam I wound up in on FL 40), and despite my better judgment, I took I-75 anyway. As it turned out a tractor trailer caught fire in the truck parking area of the southbound I-75 Marion County Rest Area. With the amount of smoke they had there and the excessive fire trucks on the scene, it looked more like the whole rest area blew up.

The big NYC Tri-State Area road trip is still on, but more than likely for November.

Max Rockatansky

My wife wanted to go to Portland this past month and it pretty much went off without a hitch.  Ended up seeing a ton of bridges, all of US 26 on the Sunset Highway, US 101 from Cannon Beach over the Astoria Bridge into Washington and a good portion of the Historic Columbia River Highway. 

We had planned to go Crater Lake National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park and Redwood National Park this past weekend  Unfortunately an early snow storm in the Cascades jammed up said plans so we went to Joshua Tree National Park and Palm Springs in instead.  Had a nice meaty 9 mile hike around the Lost Horse Mine but came away with a haul of road photos that I needed to recover post hard drive crash.  Some of the areas we traveled on were; Old US 66/91/395 in Cajon Pass, CA 371, CA 74 on the Pines to Palms Highway, CA 111 in Palm Springs, CA 62 from Whitewater to Joshua Tree National Park, Pinto Basin Road, Old US 60/70 on Box Canyon Road, Old CA 231, the new CA 86 expressway, I-10 from CA 86 to CA 60, CA 60/Old US 60 through the Moreno Valley Badlands, part of CA 243, CA 189, CA 173 near Lake Arrowhead and the crown jewel with all of CA 18.

D-Dey65

Another update; The NYC-LI Road trip is now planned for two weeks from now.

TravelingBethelite

I'll be headed to east-central Texas and back for Thanksgiving...if I can some mechanical issues taken care of in the remaining two weeks. Thinking I'll head south/west down through Springfield into Arkansas and down into NW Louisiana and head west from there. May head back through Oklahoma if I have enough spare time/gas money.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Scott5114

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 10, 2019, 08:53:31 PM
I'll be headed to east-central Texas and back for Thanksgiving...if I can some mechanical issues taken care of in the remaining two weeks. Thinking I'll head south/west down through Springfield into Arkansas and down into NW Louisiana and head west from there. May head back through Oklahoma if I have enough spare time/gas money.

I'd advise the routing through Oklahoma as the primary and the Arkansas routing as the backup–the roads on the OK side of the line tend to be a lot less twisty than they are on the AR side, so if you need to make up time, it will be easier to do that in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ce929wax

I might be taking a road trip around X-Mas to Murfreesboro, TN because my Mom wants to go visit my uncle because he is having surgery.  She has decided if she wants to go, because we only have one car and she didn't want to leave me without a car for a month, while she takes care of my uncle.  I told her that that wasn't a problem that I would drive her down there and then when she was ready to come home, I would come and get her.  She hasn't decided if she is going to go or not.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 30, 2019, 01:27:34 PM
This year's mission trip to Mexico has been pushed back several months due to scheduling conflicts.  However, my wife and I had already made arrangements to be gone that week, so we've decided to visit family up in Iowa instead.  From KC, I plan to take a different route–up through St Joseph and Maryville, then a combination of state and county highways through Iowa to I-80.  I usually avoid doing so, because the 55mph speed limit gets old after a while, when you realize you could be cruising at 70-80 on the Interstate.  But we've got all the time in the world to get up there this time, so why not!

Just remembered...  I intended to post my GPS track of the drive up but never did.  It also includes a GPS track of a tourist train excursion.

MAP HERE
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.