News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How to post a picture from your computer?

Started by Brooks, November 04, 2017, 06:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooks

I took some pictures the other day that I intended to post on here but for whatever reason I cannot seem to figure it out.  Please help!!

hotdogPi

Create a Flickr account. (Some people prefer Imgur, but I think Flickr is better.) NOT Photobucket; they charge you $400 per year while the other two are free.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

After doing what 1 said, click the image button on the post reply screen and insert the url of the image between the 2 image words.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

1995hoo

The key point is, the photo must be online, not on your PC.

If you have the photo on a mobile device, you can access the forum via the Tapatalk app and use the app to upload the photo.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

adventurernumber1

I'm very sorry for the late reply (I haven't gotten around to posting in this thread until now), but this is how I typically post my pictures on here:

I use Flickr.com. Using my account (you can make your own if you don't have one already), I upload pictures from my computer to Flickr, and typically preceding that, those photos were uploaded from mine or someone else's phone or camera to the computer. Once your photos are posted on Flickr, you must then proceed to click on the photo of your choice (one at a time, of course, if there is more than one you plan to do something with). After doing that, you must then click the second-most-far-right button - the one that says "Download this photo" and has a downward-pointing arrow that sorta looks like this V (but a little different). Then choose and click the option that says "View all sizes" at the bottom of the pop-up. Now you must choose a size - but keep in mind that this forum has rules on the size that that picture can be if it is posted on here. I believe the rule here is that the picture size you choose must not be larger than 800 pixels wide or 600 pixels high (800 x 600), but a moderator can confirm this. On the page that you have now reached on Flickr, proceed to choose a photo size that is acceptable under the forum guidelines just mentioned. After doing so, right click on the picture, but something very important to note is that if you want the picture to visually show up to others in your post itself, then when you right-click, you must choose the option that says "Copy image address." Now, when you go back to your post, click the far left button on the lower row of buttons that lie above all of the emoticons. Now, right-click and insert (paste) your link into there. Now you're done, at least in this specific method that I usually do.

Here is an example of this process.

Let's say I want to use this picture of mine from my Flickr account (of the Brooklyn Bridge):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/16200507015/in/dateposted-public/

I will go through all of those first simple steps, and when I get to the part where I decide on an appropriate picture size, I notice that for this specific picture, the largest that my picture can be in my post, under the forum guidelines, is the size "Medium 500" (375 x 500), so that is what I will choose. Now, I right click on the photo and then click "Copy image address," and then I paste it in my post by inserting it after I click the button right under the "B" (Bold) button. Here is the final product:

And there you have it!  :nod:  ;-)  :thumbsup:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

I manually calculate what height and width I want to change the image to, and then I insert those numbers into the [img string.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 11, 2017, 05:11:12 PM
I'm very sorry for the late reply (I haven't gotten around to posting in this thread until now), but this is how I typically post my pictures on here:

I use Flickr.com. Using my account (you can make your own if you don't have one already), I upload pictures from my computer to Flickr, and typically preceding that, those photos were uploaded from mine or someone else's phone or camera to the computer. Once your photos are posted on Flickr, you must then proceed to click on the photo of your choice (one at a time, of course, if there is more than one you plan to do something with). After doing that, you must then click the second-most-far-right button - the one that says "Download this photo" and has a downward-pointing arrow that sorta looks like this V (but a little different). Then choose and click the option that says "View all sizes" at the bottom of the pop-up. Now you must choose a size - but keep in mind that this forum has rules on the size that that picture can be if it is posted on here. I believe the rule here is that the picture size you choose must not be larger than 800 pixels wide or 600 pixels high (800 x 600), but a moderator can confirm this. On the page that you have now reached on Flickr, proceed to choose a photo size that is acceptable under the forum guidelines just mentioned. After doing so, right click on the picture, but something very important to note is that if you want the picture to visually show up to others in your post itself, then when you right-click, you must choose the option that says "Copy image address." Now, when you go back to your post, click the far left button on the lower row of buttons that lie above all of the emoticons. Now, right-click and insert (paste) your link into there. Now you're done, at least in this specific method that I usually do.

Here is an example of this process.

Let's say I want to use this picture of mine from my Flickr account (of the Brooklyn Bridge):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/16200507015/in/dateposted-public/

I will go through all of those first simple steps, and when I get to the part where I decide on an appropriate picture size, I notice that for this specific picture, the largest that my picture can be in my post, under the forum guidelines, is the size "Medium 500" (375 x 500), so that is what I will choose. Now, I right click on the photo and then click "Copy image address," and then I paste it in my post by inserting it after I click the button right under the "B" (Bold) button. Here is the final product:

And there you have it!  :nod:  ;-)  :thumbsup:

Good post!  Maybe should be a sticky?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2017, 01:22:01 PM
I manually calculate what height and width I want to change the image to, and then I insert those numbers into the [img string.

That's still breaking the rules in spirit if the image is a huge one to begin with.  Take a few extra moments to resize and then link to the high-res one.  Think of the people who might be loading the page on a mobile network that don't have unlimited bandwidth.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: kkt on November 13, 2017, 05:07:51 PM

Good post!  Maybe should be a sticky?

Thank you very much! I put as much effort as possible into it so that others could have a coherent tutorial of posting a picture on the forum (at least by doing it the way that I typically do it).  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.