News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Misbehaving during standardized tests

Started by bandit957, January 19, 2019, 04:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Did kids at your school ever act up while the school was administering a standardized test? In my day, they always did. They always passed gas, loudly busted bubble gum, defaced the test packets, flicked Skittles across the room, knocked over desks, talked loudly, and cheated by whispering the answers.

In other words, kids misbehaved a lot, because schools around here absolutely worshiped standardized tests.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

1995hoo

One of the guys at my table kept farting during the SAT. The guidance counsellor (a woman) wanted to know what was so funny and none of us would say. She knew us well enough to know we weren't cheating, but none of us wanted to say "Adam's farting."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Ere, no? But I always take them in a separate room because of my iep so I don't know what they do in normal classrooms.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Not a standardized test, but through junior high and high school we had to fill out the same career interest survey each year.  About 11th grade, the whole class decided they wanted to be undertakers.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on January 19, 2019, 10:57:45 AM
Not a standardized test, but through junior high and high school we had to fill out the same career interest survey each year.  About 11th grade, the whole class decided they wanted to be undertakers.
I had to that too this year, but we actually took it seriously.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2019, 11:03:37 AM
The 4th or 5th time for the same survey, it was hard to take it seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on January 19, 2019, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2019, 11:03:37 AM
The 4th or 5th time for the same survey, it was hard to take it seriously.
I think I do a survey next year to but I think it's a bit different.

adventurernumber1

I don't remember any notable examples of kids misbehaving during standardized tests, but I might understand if they did (if they couldn't take one more second of it), since standardized tests were typically the most dismal, stressful, and indescribably boring point of the year. I never personally misbehaved, but when I was real young, sometimes I would freeze up and start crying when I shut down during a hard part of the test. Standardized tests are also heavily worshipped now around here, but I don't think it's so much the fault of the individual schools as it is the corrupt and evil state department of education. They put enormous stress on students, but especially teachers - their jobs being threatened if their students don't do "perfect" on these detestable exams which the state refuses to release any kind of general idea of what will be on it to the teachers (information they kind of might need if they are to best prepare their students). The states doesn't give the schools money and funds unless they do the standardized tests. The tests are also forced to count as 20% of the students' final grade, even though they won't give the teachers any fucking idea of what is on it. I somehow made it out of this shitty endeavor (recently graduating from high school in May of 2018), but my younger brother is now suffering as well (about to be in high school), and it's like it just gets worse and worse every year. Right now my brother is under enormous stress because of these standardized tests (with his ability to pass 8th Grade completely affected by that alone, regardless of the fact that he is a good student and a hard worker), and under this cloud of draconian hell. Right now the education system is a piece of shit - it values stress, busy work, standardized tests, and grades rather than students actually learning something, and being informed citizens that can do good in the world. Instead of engaging students and teaching them something, every day in K-12 is now just absorbed by testing, stress, and overwhelming nonsensical work loads. I am now in college, and I value education much more now that I am out of that hell. It took me graduating and having my "high school vision" (a vision of nothing but stress, testing, grades, and unnecessary loads of busy-work that was forced upon me by the current state of the education system) taken off that only then could I see the true value of education, take learning into my own initiative, and understanding just what the hell education is actually supposed to look like (at least to a certain extent). College has its struggles, but it is much more just in the way that it is run, and it is a much higher quality of education. It is to hell with standardized tests, and busy-work (for the most part). In general, stress is significantly reduced for students, and especially teachers. It is an institution of greater freedom and less tyranny. Students are treated as free individuals instead of prisoners. I'm mind-blown at the fact that I was deprived of this kind of education due to the current state of the K-12 education system. I am now trying to master my subjects, especially those I am most interested and competent in, and I am actually learning something, free of the chains of the modern high school experience. It is an exhilarating feeling of freedom, and an expansion of the mind. Graduation was hands-down my favorite day of all of high school. I had some great friends who I was sad to part ways with, but every last one of us was damn glad to get out of there at last. We were all now free. I can now truly engage my mind with the right kind of education, and I do so free of oppression. The current K-12 education system needs to be fucking fixed - all our students are getting more and more bogged down each and every year. This is obviously not working. Something needs to change, that's for sure.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

SectorZ

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 19, 2019, 02:40:37 PM
I don't remember any notable examples of kids misbehaving during standardized tests, but I might understand if they did (if they couldn't take one more second of it), since standardized tests were typically the most dismal, stressful, and indescribably boring point of the year. I never personally misbehaved, but when I was real young, sometimes I would freeze up and start crying when I shut down during a hard part of the test. Standardized tests are also heavily worshipped now around here, but I don't think it's so much the fault of the individual schools as it is the corrupt and evil state department of education. They put enormous stress on students, but especially teachers - their jobs being threatened if their students don't do "perfect" on these detestable exams which the state refuses to release any kind of general idea of what will be on it to the teachers (information they kind of might need if they are to best prepare their students). The states doesn't give the schools money and funds unless they do the standardized tests. The tests are also forced to count as 20% of the students' final grade, even though they won't give the teachers any fucking idea of what is on it. I somehow made it out of this shitty endeavor (recently graduating from high school in May of 2018), but my younger brother is now suffering as well (about to be in high school), and it's like it just gets worse and worse every year. Right now my brother is under enormous stress because of these standardized tests (with his ability to pass 8th Grade completely affected by that alone, regardless of the fact that he is a good student and a hard worker), and under this cloud of draconian hell. Right now the education system is a piece of shit - it values stress, busy work, standardized tests, and grades rather than students actually learning something, and being informed citizens that can do good in the world. Instead of engaging students and teaching them something, every day in K-12 is now just absorbed by testing, stress, and overwhelming nonsensical work loads. I am now in college, and I value education much more now that I am out of that hell. It took me graduating and having my "high school vision" (a vision of nothing but stress, testing, grades, and unnecessary loads of busy-work that was forced upon me by the current state of the education system) taken off that only then could I see the true value of education, take learning into my own initiative, and understanding just what the hell education is actually supposed to look like (at least to a certain extent). College has its struggles, but it is much more just in the way that it is run, and it is a much higher quality of education. It is to hell with standardized tests, and busy-work (for the most part). In general, stress is significantly reduced for students, and especially teachers. It is an institution of greater freedom and less tyranny. Students are treated as free individuals instead of prisoners. I'm mind-blown at the fact that I was deprived of this kind of education due to the current state of the K-12 education system. I am now trying to master my subjects, especially those I am most interested and competent in, and I am actually learning something, free of the chains of the modern high school experience. It is an exhilarating feeling of freedom, and an expansion of the mind. Graduation was hands-down my favorite day of all of high school. I had some great friends who I was sad to part ways with, but every last one of us was damn glad to get out of there at last. We were all now free. I can now truly engage my mind with the right kind of education, and I do so free of oppression. The current K-12 education system needs to be fucking fixed - all our students are getting more and more bogged down each and every year. This is obviously not working. Something needs to change, that's for sure.

¶

SectorZ

I don't remember much screwing around on those tests in school. I had Iowa tests, and some precursor to the horror that is now the state standardized testing in MA (MCAS).

adventurernumber1

Quote from: SectorZ on January 19, 2019, 05:17:37 PM

¶

Ah yes, that was a mouthful. I probably should have organized that into more paragraphs, but for some reason I did not.  :paranoid:  :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

bandit957

Quote from: SectorZ on January 19, 2019, 05:18:56 PM
I don't remember much screwing around on those tests in school. I had Iowa tests, and some precursor to the horror that is now the state standardized testing in MA (MCAS).

The Iowa test (which plagues the whole country, not just Iowa) was absolutely horrible. And it was useless.

bing101

Roadgeekteen

Standardized tests are annoying because although students at my school don't really cheat, there is SO MUCH BUREAUCRATIC RED TAPE NONSENSE RULES! I'm only in 10th grade, so all the standardized tests that I have taken only require you do get like a 33% or so to pass so I really don't give a shit.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2019, 05:43:43 PM
Standardized tests are annoying because although students at my school don't really cheat, there is SO MUCH BUREAUCRATIC RED TAPE NONSENSE RULES! I'm only in 10th grade, so all the standardized tests that I have taken only require you do get like a 33% or so to pass so I really don't give a shit.

At my high school (and now middle school too, with my brother's class), they treat it like a legitimate test you would take in the classroom in terms of how it affected your grade - it would count as 20% of your final grade, as your "final exam." The teachers used to be able to make their own final exam, but not anymore (in the classes that require EOC's - which is many of the core classes). It is extremely stressful, and these stupid things could make or break your final grade. If you have a C in a class and bomb the EOC, you would probably fail the course. And these teachers' jobs are on the line (because the state department of education makes it to be that way), and they have no way of knowing how specifically to prepare their students for the test (thanks to the state's censorship of information that is any kind of general idea of what might be on it). It is agonizing to see the pain that good, honest teachers have to go through because of this crap - and the students' academic success is heavily affected by these ridiculous standardized tests as well.

cjk374

And people wonder why home schooling is so popular.  :hmm:  :rolleyes:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on January 19, 2019, 05:20:23 PM

The Iowa test (which plagues the whole country, not just Iowa) was absolutely horrible. And it was useless.

Slipknot, annoying ethanol mandates, their damn primary caucus, and these tests. Got to admit, Iowa doesn't offer a lot to society...

hbelkins

I took the GRE one Saturday morning back in 1982 in a classroom on the Morehead State University campus. I'd gotten up early and before the test, went to Hardee's to get a couple of breakfast biscuits. Hardee's was fairly new in town then and my dad had always loved getting their steak biscuits whenever we went on vacation to Hardee's country, which when I was younger was Virginia and North Carolina. The Abingdon, Va., Hardee's was where we stopped most frequently.

At any rate, I took breakfast into the testing room and was eating before the test began. The administrator said no food was allowed in the testing room, and I'd have to go out in the hall to finish breakfast. The guy I was sitting beside, an acquaintance, said, "It's a shame when a man can't even eat a biscuit before taking a test." That guy was Rocky Adkins, current minority leader in the Kentucky House of Representatives, and now a candidate for governor.

Kids didn't really misbehave during testing when I was in elementary or high school. We were expected to be quiet and orderly, and we mostly were.

Our achievement tests were always the California Test of Basic Skills.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 19, 2019, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 19, 2019, 05:43:43 PM

At my high school (and now middle school too, with my brother's class), they treat it like a legitimate test you would take in the classroom in terms of how it affected your grade - it would count as 20% of your final grade, as your "final exam." The teachers used to be able to make their own final exam, but not anymore (in the classes that require EOC's - which is many of the core classes). It is extremely stressful, and these stupid things could make or break your final grade. If you have a C in a class and bomb the EOC, you would probably fail the course. And these teachers' jobs are on the line (because the state department of education makes it to be that way), and they have no way of knowing how specifically to prepare their students for the test (thanks to the state's censorship of information that is any kind of general idea of what might be on it). It is agonizing to see the pain that good, honest teachers have to go through because of this crap - and the students' academic success is heavily affected by these ridiculous standardized tests as well.
Oh that really sucks!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I hate bureaucratic crap like that :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:! Stupid politicians.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on January 19, 2019, 07:46:37 PM
Kids didn't really misbehave during testing when I was in elementary or high school. We were expected to be quiet and orderly, and we mostly were.

Pretty much the same at the schools I attended. 

Cutting up during standardized tests was especially frowned upon and might get you sent to the principal's office, and you were warned ahead of time.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on January 19, 2019, 04:37:39 AM
They always passed gas

How dare they!

Thread drift:  Are you able to hold in your farts?  I'm not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 21, 2019, 02:25:21 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on January 19, 2019, 04:37:39 AM
They always passed gas

How dare they!

Thread drift:  Are you able to hold in your farts?  I'm not.
I really don't notice anyone farting.

bandit957

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.