News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Accidents where unexpected cargo ends up on the highway

Started by skluth, August 12, 2022, 01:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

I saw this article about a truck losing its cargo of porta-potties on I-94 and thought it might be interesting and fun for people to share stories on bizarre and/or unexpected items on freeways from accidents.

NWI_Irish96

This accident produced one of my all-time favorite headlines:

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheHighwayMan3561

We had two in the span of a week in MN last winter. One was potatoes (which the "mashed" taters then froze to the road and created hazardous driving conditions). I forgot what the other one was, but I think it was beets.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

The Seattle area has a running list of these:

March 2015 - Salmon guts spill over the viaduct and shut down traffic for 9 hours. City descended into chaos.
April 2015 - 14 million bees on I-5 in Lynnwood
May 2015 - Rotting animal carcasses on I-5 this time
April 2016 - Frozen crabs, also on the viaduct
April 2016 - Human waste in Everett
May 2018 - Chicken feathers in Federal Way

JREwing78

bing101

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/freeway-chickens/
There was a claim about the Hollywood Freeway Chickens. The origins was allegedly from an overturn truck carrying chickens on US-101.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/06/local/la-me-then6-2009dec06

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

gonealookin

February 2012:  Sauerkraut spill after truck crashes in Germany.

QuoteWith temperatures far below zero for the last week, the sauerkraut froze almost instantly and created impassable obstacles, causing traffic to back up for 10 km. The motorway was completely shut down for four hours while authorities struggled to scrape the frozen sauerkraut away.

ran4sh

A few years ago there was an incident with a truck carrying cash spilling it onto I-285. This, of course, created somewhat of a traffic jam due to some drivers pulling over to pick up some of the cash.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/us/atlanta-drivers-grab-i-285-cash-trnd
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

triplemultiplex

The one time I was in Portland, some small box truck had a bunch of Swiffers fall out the back of it on I-5 just south of I-84.  I'll always remember that because of the irony of a big mess of something made to clean up messes. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dlsterner

About 8-10 years ago I was driving south on I-81 in Virginia (around Wytheville or so) when traffic ground to a complete halt.  Everybody was "parked" on the interstate for about three hours.

Later found out that a strawberry truck had overturned, and the mess needed to be cleaned up.

By the time the road cleared and traffic started moving, I did see the accident site a few miles down the road, but no sign of the spilled load.

index

Quote from: ran4sh on August 12, 2022, 09:21:57 PM
A few years ago there was an incident with a truck carrying cash spilling it onto I-285. This, of course, created somewhat of a traffic jam due to some drivers pulling over to pick up some of the cash.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/us/atlanta-drivers-grab-i-285-cash-trnd

I never understood why people would be stupid enough to actually record themselves or others taking all that cash (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYRDwJhOfw). If you want to get away with something the last thing you do is plaster it all over social media.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

1995hoo

I remember a radio traffic report once–I don't remember when, but it would have been on WTOP-FM–about an incident somewhere in the DC area involving a highway entrance ramp being closed because a box of nails had fallen off a truck.

Elsewhere on the forum I've mentioned the day in July 2007 when a Budweiser truck overturned on the old left-side ramp from the I-495 Inner Loop to westbound I-66. A bunch of the beer cans burst open and it was the typical hot, humid DC-area afternoon. The stench of skunked Budweiser was nauseating. (I remember when this occurred because we were driving back from a trip to Nova Scotia and passed through on the Beltway and got stuck in slow traffic. I had neglected to listen to a traffic report.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gonealookin

News of yesterday's Alfredo sauce tragedy on I-55 in Memphis has led me to a site called TruckSpills.com which has photos of quite a few of these incidents.

Scrolling down not too far, the January 2022 spill of "animal entrails and meat waste" in Melbourne, Australia looks impressively gross.

kphoger

I was once driving with my girlfriend (now my wife) on I-44 in urban Saint Louis.  Four lanes of westbound traffic going 60 mph.  In front of us was an Old Dominion truck pulling double trailers.  The door on the rear trailer had rolled up at some point.  In between the rearmost pallet and the door were a bunch of empty pallets, standing up on end;  those were now falling out of the trailer, one by one every minute or so, onto the Interstate, subsequently skidding back and forth at highway speed until friction slowed them down and they settled–well, some on the shoulder, others on a lane line, others in less convenient places.  Driving was like playing chicken with a completely unpredictable opponent.  Eventually I managed to navigate the maze of falling pallets, pulled up alongside the truck cab, honked the horn a few times, and had my wife motion for the driver to roll his window down.  I shouted across to him, "You're dropping pallets!"  He couldn't understand, so I shouted it again, louder.  Oh, my! you should have seen the look on his face as it finally made sense to him.  He immediately got off at the next exit.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

elsmere241

And then a few days ago a bunch of tomatoes wound up on I-80 in California.

Dirt Roads

Catfish, anyone?  Northbound I-95 has been closed this morning near Exit 61 in Godwin due to an overturned tractor-trailer carrying live fish.  Several different radio stations are indeed reporting live catfish spilled onto the highway. 

https://www.wral.com/crash-closes-entire-direction-of-i-95-north-of-fayetteville/20526432/

hbelkins

There's a separate thread on the sex toy spill in Oklahoma.

Every so often, loads of chicken offal will be deposited onto roads in western Kentucky.

Some years ago, a pumper truck for septic tanks and porta-potties had an incident in Montgomery County, Ky., that resulted in sewage being spilled along the highway.

And we have the occasional livestock truck crash where cattle or pigs go loose on the highway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.