News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"NEXT REST AREA" distance signs - which states acknowledge neighboring states?

Started by KCRoadFan, November 02, 2022, 01:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

On interstates, the blue signs approaching rest areas are accompanied by a panel underneath that reads "NEXT REST AREA (number) MILES," indicating the distance to the rest area following the upcoming one. However, at the last rest area within the state on a given interstate in that direction (such as, for example, the one on I-70 westbound at Concordia or eastbound at Wright City), my state of Missouri doesn't show the distance to the first rest area in the next state (Kansas and Illinois, respectively), but rather simply displays the message "LAST REST AREA IN MISSOURI" instead. That made me wonder: how does your state treat the "NEXT REST AREA" signage when approaching the last one in the state in that direction? Does it show the distance to the first one in the next state, or does it go unacknowledged? I'm interested to find out more.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

The NYS Thruway WB approaching Angola has this sign. Not a direct reference to another state, but of course the Thruway ends at the PA line.

1995hoo

On southbound I-85 in Virginia, the "Next Rest Area 33 Miles" sign happens to be placed right next to the 33 milepost. So they don't tell you it's the North Carolina welcome center, but if you're paying attention you'd realize it.

Can't say I've generally paid attention otherwise.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

elsmere241

When Delaware House was being rebuilt, the signs for last service area on the New Jersey Turnpike gave the distance to Chesapeake House in Maryland.

hbelkins

I've never really paid attention to this, but on a related note, there is a "Last Rest Area on I-79" sign southbound in West Virginia.

If you continue on interstates, you'll encounter a rest area on I-64 westbound near Hurricane, but you won't encounter anything on I-64 eastbound/I-77 southbound until Tamarack at Beckley, on the turnpike.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2022, 11:45:05 AM
I've never really paid attention to this, but on a related note, there is a "Last Rest Area on I-79" sign southbound in West Virginia.

If you continue on interstates, you'll encounter a rest area on I-64 westbound near Hurricane, but you won't encounter anything on I-64 eastbound/I-77 southbound until Tamarack at Beckley, on the turnpike.

To me, the rest area in Putnam County, eastbound, should be signed "Last Rest Area Before Toll Road - First Turnpike Service Area - 63 miles" . 

Another deal is that the northernmost service area on the turnpike is signed as "Next Rest Area - 48 miles (IIRC) ". Which is the mileage to the next one on I-77, however the turnpike is both 64 and 77 at that point, and 64 receives the bulk of the traffic when they do split.  It also has secondary control city signage for Parkersburg, but no mention of Huntington.  To me it should be signed "Last Service Area on Turnpike - Next Rest Area on I64 - 61 mile - on I77 48 miles" .

jmacswimmer

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2022, 09:28:07 AM
The NYS Thruway WB approaching Angola has this sign. Not a direct reference to another state, but of course the Thruway ends at the PA line.

Your post made me think of one at that exact line you mention: This sign, which is PennDOT-spec but physically in New York just before the line & PA welcome center beyond, is referencing the Ohio welcome center.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

Quote from: jmacswimmer on November 02, 2022, 12:17:45 PM

Your post made me think of one at that exact line you mention: This sign, which is PennDOT-spec but physically in New York just before the line & PA welcome center beyond, is referencing the Ohio welcome center.

Yes, this is similar to how the Thruway posts the distance to the next service area. Of course, in this case, the next rest area is in Ohio since I-90 is only in PA for such a short distance.

kirbykart

I've never been on that part of the Thruway, and for some reason, I thought Angola Service Area was in the median.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on November 02, 2022, 12:08:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2022, 11:45:05 AM

To me, the rest area in Putnam County, eastbound, should be signed "Last Rest Area Before Toll Road - First Turnpike Service Area - 63 miles" . 

Another deal is that the northernmost service area on the turnpike is signed as "Next Rest Area - 48 miles (IIRC) ". Which is the mileage to the next one on I-77, however the turnpike is both 64 and 77 at that point, and 64 receives the bulk of the traffic when they do split.  It also has secondary control city signage for Parkersburg, but no mention of Huntington.  To me it should be signed "Last Service Area on Turnpike - Next Rest Area on I64 - 61 mile - on I77 48 miles" .

That raises a couple of questions about traffic patterns in my mind.

It may be because I come from west of Charleston, but to me the natural movement is I-64 east to I-79 north. And I would think that the bulk of the turnpike traffic stays on I-77 going north to Ohio.

My thoughts on that come from the perception that Corridor H and I-68 have supplanted I-64/I-81/I-66 as the best routes from the west to DC.

I've used the 64E/79N movement a lot more than I have 64E/77S. But conversely, and logically given my home, have used the 64W through route moreso than staying on 77 going north.

I don't remember a sign on I-64 westbound noting the mileage to the Kentucky welcome center. I also don't remember Kentucky signing mileage to the next rest area in general, much less to those in other states.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on November 02, 2022, 02:47:08 PM

I've never been on that part of the Thruway, and for some reason, I thought Angola Service Area was in the median.

The service area itself is in the median, but the parking areas are on the right. Hence the pedestrian bridges over the Thruway which you use to get to/from the restrooms and restaurants.

dvferyance

I think pretty much all of them do. Wisconsin does on I-90 for Illinios and Minnesota welcome centers.

nwi_navigator_1181

Implied reference:

I-196 southbound has a rest area just south of the US 31 merge by Zeeland, with an advisory saying the next rest area is 80 miles away.

The rest area in question is the I-94 Rest Area/Welcome Center past the Indiana State Line. I'm of the thought that MDOT believes the majority of long range I-196 traffic exits west on I-94 and heads into Indiana. The math also checks out (43 miles to I-94 + 34 miles to Indiana + 3 miles to the welcome center).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

andrepoiy

Ontario does not.

The last EB OnRoute on Highway 401 is Morrisburg, and I don't believe there's a sign referencing the next rest stop (which would be the Riviere-Beaudette Service Station in Quebec).

kirbykart

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2022, 04:43:50 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on November 02, 2022, 02:47:08 PM

The service area itself is in the median, but the parking areas are on the right. Hence the pedestrian bridges over the Thruway which you use to get to/from the restrooms and restaurants.

That's really neat. I guess I didn't realize that when I looked at Street View.

amroad17

I am surprised SkyPesos has not weighed in on this...

Both I-71 SB and I-75 SB before each last respective rest area in Ohio have a distance sign for the next rest area--in Florence, KY.  I-71 has a sign with the distance at 45 miles and I-75 has a sign with the distance at 41 miles.

I-70 WB before the South Vienna, OH rest area has a sign with a distance of 92 miles to the next rest area--the Indiana Welcome Center a few miles west of Richmond, IN., although the distance should be 84 miles.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

GaryV

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on November 02, 2022, 08:56:32 PM
I-196 southbound has a rest area just south of the US 31 merge by Zeeland, with an advisory saying the next rest area is 80 miles away.

The rest area in question is the I-94 Rest Area/Welcome Center past the Indiana State Line.

The Watervliet rest area on I-94 also references that Welcome Center (45 miles).

The I-275 sb rest area does not reference the I-75 rest area near Bowling Green, OH - not terribly surprising; there's lots of places traffic on I-275 could turn off before getting there.

Nor does the Turkeyville rest area on I-69 (just north of I-94) reference the next rest area in Indiana (south of the Toll Road and US-20). Maybe too much of the traffic would divert to I-94 or I-80/I-90.

Scott5114

As far as I remember, Oklahoma doesn't even acknowledge its own rest areas. You just get signage pertaining to the current one, no distance to the next one. Not sure whether you'll be able to make it to the next one? That's strictly a you problem, not an ODOT problem.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Vaulter

Quote from: Rothman on November 02, 2022, 07:01:08 AM
NY/MA do on I-90.

Interestingly, Massachusetts does not do this on I-95.

Speaking of I-95, Maine doesn't tell you the Kennebunk rest area is the last in the state before NH, but it they do want you to know they have live lobsters https://maps.app.goo.gl/27RBSZPjACFV9mVw8?g_st=ic

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.