Counties in your State without a State Route

Started by Hunty2022, November 10, 2022, 07:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunty2022

Is there any counties in your state/province that don't have any State Routes? This excludes County Routes, Secondary Routes, or any route in Texas that doesn't have the word Texas at the bottom and a number on top .

For Virginia, Page County and Essex County lack a state route, though both have two US Highways.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Scott5114

I don't believe there are any in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jlam

None in Colorado, but there are a few with only state highways (no Interstates or US Routes)

MATraveler128

In Massachusetts, we have Dukes and Nantucket Counties, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket respectively.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 10, 2022, 07:47:24 PM
In Massachusetts, we have Dukes and Nantucket Counties, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket respectively.

The only two counties in all of New England without one.  Pretty sure we can also eliminate NY, NJ, PA, DE, and MD. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

None in NY, and I'd be pretty surprised if there's a lot elsewhere in the country aside from oddities like islands, etc. That's because a state route system that doesn't serve all counties in the state really doesn't really make much sense.

Speaking of islands, Rhode Island has Block Island, which has no state routes, but it's also not it's own county.

Max Rockatansky

oscar

In Hawaii, only Kalawao County doesn't have any numbered and posted state routes. But AFAIK Hawaii DOT helps the state department of health (which with the National Park Service co-administers the county) with any major maintenance of its small and isolated road network.

In Alaska, the state DOT maintains most of the road network. But the small subset that has (usually) posted route numbers with one or two digits, in addition to five- or six-digit internal inventory numbers, doesn't include anything in the Aleutians East, Lake and Peninsula, Bristol Bay, Northwest Arctic, Kodiak Island, Yakutat, Sitka, and Wrangell boroughs, or the Aleutians West, Kusilvak, Nome, Bethel, Dillingham, Hoonah-Angoon, or Prince of Wales-Hyder census areas.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Flint1979

I'm pretty sure that there is at least one state highway in all 83 Michigan counties.

-- US 175 --

TX pretty much legislated the possibility of this ever happening out of existence in the very early days of numbered roads in the state.  They wanted at least 1 numbered road to connect a county seat in 1 county, to a county seat in a neighboring county.  So even in the farthest-flung, sparsest-populated counties in TX, there's at least 1 numbered road.

kphoger

Cross-posting some edge cases:

Quote from: cl94 on October 24, 2018, 10:12:26 PM
Massachusetts has two counties with no signed state routes (Dukes and Nantucket), but both have state-maintained roads.

Quote from: TEG24601 on October 28, 2018, 02:47:44 PM
Technically, San Juan County in Washington.  It is only served by SR 20 Spur... and that is only if you count the ferry landings as part of the route, even though it never actually travels onto any of the Islands, but the ferry route is part of the State Route.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

All of West Virginia's 55 counties have state routes, and I'm pretty sure that each of the county seats are served by a state route.  Almost all of these counties also have a U.S. Route in addition to the state routes.

Only 1 State Route

• Lewis (plus 1 Interstate route plus 4 U.S. Routes)
  • Morgan (plus 1 U.S. Route)

Only 2 State Routes
  • Ohio (plus 2 Interstate routes plus 2 U.S. Routes)
  • Pendleton (plus 2 U.S. Routes)
  • Roane (plus 1 Interstate route plus 2 U.S. Routes)
  • Taylor (plus 3 U.S. Routes)
  • Upshur (plus 3 U.S. Routes)

No U.S. Routes
  • Pleasants (3 state routes)
  • Summers (1 Interstate route plus 4 state routes)
  • Tyler (5 state routes)
  • Webster (3 state routes)
  • Wirt (4 state routes)

NWI_Irish96

No Indiana county has fewer than 3 state highways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

flan

Billings County, ND, has no state routes within its borders, but I-94 and U.S. 85 go through the county.

No county in Minnesota is without a state route–Cook County is the closest, only served by MN 61.

US 89

There is no county in Utah with fewer than two state routes or three numbered highways. That would be Daggett, which has US 191, SR 43, and SR 44.

All but one have a US and/or Interstate, too. The only one that doesn't is Wayne, and it has four state routes (12, 24, 72, and 95).

There are five more counties that lack a US route, but do have an interstate because the US route was decommissioned in favor of it. Those are Beaver, Iron, Washington (US 91 to I-15), Tooele (US 40 to I-80), and Morgan (US 30S to I-84).

Bruce

San Juan County, WA only has a ferry route that is part of the state highway system (SR 20 Spur), so it has/lacks a state route depending on how you want to county ferries and bannered routes.

The fewest number of routes for a normal county is 2 (Wahkiakum and Skamania are tied).

mgk920

Otto Yamamoto

Since all highways are actually state highways, including Interstate and US highways, no county in America, short of Alaska and Hawaii would have 'no state "routes', with the exception of of some urban areas, where surface roads might be posted for continuity, like NYC, and even then there are two exceptions: NY 9A(in reality a 9xx route) and NY 440 which is a freeway, but not an Interstate.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on November 10, 2022, 09:56:16 PM
Cross-posting some edge cases:

Quote from: TEG24601 on October 28, 2018, 02:47:44 PM
Technically, San Juan County in Washington.  It is only served by SR 20 Spur... and that is only if you count the ferry landings as part of the route, even though it never actually travels onto any of the Islands, but the ferry route is part of the State Route.

Quote from: Bruce on November 11, 2022, 02:05:29 AM
San Juan County, WA only has a ferry route that is part of the state highway system (SR 20 Spur), so it has/lacks a state route depending on how you want to county ferries and bannered routes.

And don't forget San Juan County, too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jlam

Kenedy County, Texas only has US 77 and Concho County (also in Texas) only has US 83 and US 77. Unless you count FM routes.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 10, 2022, 08:13:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that there is at least one state highway in all 83 Michigan counties.

Correct, although two or three are just barely.

bulldog1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 11, 2022, 10:43:48 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 10, 2022, 08:13:26 PM

Correct, although two or three are just barely.

I come up with four counties that each have just two:

• Keweenaw: US 41 and M-26
  • Lake: US 10 and M-37
  • Montmorency: M-32 and M-33
  • Oscoda: M-33 and M-72

Those last three, all in the Lower Peninsula, essentially have a single north—south and a single east—west highway, while Keweenaw has a single central highway with a loop off it.

clong

Scott5114

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on November 11, 2022, 08:08:34 AM
Since all highways are actually state highways, including Interstate and US highways, no county in America, short of Alaska and Hawaii would have 'no state "routes', with the exception of of some urban areas, where surface roads might be posted for continuity, like NYC, and even then there are two exceptions: NY 9A(in reality a 9xx route) and NY 440 which is a freeway, but not an Interstate.

Holy shit, it's Otto Yamamoto. I feel like I just saw a celebrity...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.