News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why only 65 on most of I-95 in NC?

Started by roadman65, October 13, 2011, 07:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that there are only two sections of I-95 that allow the 70 mph interstate maximum on that particular interstate in North Carolina.

1) The Fayetteville Bypass.
2) From Kenly to the VA Border.

Now I am aware that the first section of I-95 to be opened in the Tar Heel State was from Fayetteville to Kenly, hence the many interchanges that are all close together.  Now that is understandable for that stretch, but from the SC Line to Fayetteville the interchanges are spaced a great distance apart.  This section should be able to handle a full 70 mph, with maybe the Lumberton area that might need the lower 65.  Otherwise, it is a pretty straight run.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

InfamousMFD478

You forgot about a third section of I-95 that is signed at 70 mph, and that is south of the interchange at I-74/US 74 outside of Lumberton.

The reason that I understand why most of the interstate in NC is posted at 65, is for that same reason between Fayetteville-Kenly, and the other reasons between Fayetteville-Lumberton, the structures are too aged, I know last time I was through there, in 2019, NCDOT was widening the interstate, and reinstalling new bridges, and exit ramps...

sprjus4

A lot of I-95's 65 mph zones could be changing over in the next decade. Over 50 miles of widening from 4 to 8 lanes is either under construction or will be later this year, and expand the segments between I-74 and the southern end of the Fayetteville Bypass, and from the northern end of the Fayetteville Bypass to I-40.

More information regarding widening projects: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26766.0

All of these segments are currently posted at 65 mph, though widening plans show a design speed of 75 mph, which indicates those will likely all go up to 70 mph once widening is complete. This is what happened to I-85 north of Concord when those segments were 8-laned in the past decade as well. That would create a continuous 70 mph limit for 81 miles between the South Carolina state line and I-40, leaving only 26 miles of 65 mph remaining between I-40 and Kenly.

tolbs17

Great that this thread was revived from 2011!!!

And the answer imo is that it's mostly in urban areas.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 16, 2021, 11:59:08 AM

jeffandnicole

Nah, I wouldn't say so.  Many of those areas are quite rural in nature.  The excuses are just that - excuses.  About 3 dozen other states have 70 mph zones in very similar circumstances that NC declares they can only be 65 mph.

NJRoadfan

The northern part of I-85 to the VA border is now 70mph. They rebuilt the entire highway and increased the limit afterwards.

architect77

There are fatalities every week on I-95 through NC. It is an old highway built in the 1960's and many aspects don't meet today's safety standards.

For those of you who don't live in NC, I-95 mostly serves people from other states from The Northeast to Florida. NCDOT has tried to spend gas tax revenue on interstates that North Carolineans actually use on a regular basis like I-85, I-40 etc.

That is why I-95 remains un-improved, however I-85 is nearly complete with 6-8 lanes from border to border. I-40 is newer and doesn't need a major overhaul.

Just now have they focused on getting I-95 improved with the goal of 8 lanes from border to border.

sprjus4

Quote from: architect77 on February 17, 2021, 01:23:04 PM
Just now have they focused on getting I-95 improved with the goal of 8 lanes from border to border.
I think outside of the 52 miles of upcoming widening to 8 lanes, the remaining only has a vision to be expanded to 6 lanes. IIRC the Fayetteville Bypass is the only segment that is not currently funded and anticipated to be expanded fully to 8 lanes.

architect77

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 17, 2021, 07:41:01 PM
I think outside of the 52 miles of upcoming widening to 8 lanes, the remaining only has a vision to be expanded to 6 lanes. IIRC the Fayetteville Bypass is the only segment that is not currently funded and anticipated to be expanded fully to 8 lanes.

And I'm going to say that NCDOT will pursue 8 lanes for all the interstates, because the unprecedented growth over the last 30 years left them scrambling and they only want to do one more rebuild per interstate and be done with it. After 8 lanes any additional ones exhibit a diminishing return as far as efficiency to 8 lanes with be as big as they're every going to be, and NC only wants to do construction one last time. The 85/40 duplex through Burlington is only like 40-60 miles and it took an entire decadeto complete.

I doubt if any of us will ever see I-95 completed through the state because with an active highway it will take forever. Now if they could build a new interstate right beside it, then it could be done quickly and relatively cheaply. But they won't purchase all that new right of way.

tolbs17

Quote from: architect77 on March 04, 2021, 05:07:53 AM

And I'm going to say that NCDOT will pursue 8 lanes for all the interstates, because the unprecedented growth over the last 30 years left them scrambling and they only want to do one more rebuild per interstate and be done with it. After 8 lanes any additional ones exhibit a diminishing return as far as efficiency to 8 lanes with be as big as they're every going to be, and NC only wants to do construction one last time. The 85/40 duplex through Burlington is only like 40-60 miles and it took an entire decadeto complete.

I doubt if any of us will ever see I-95 completed through the state because with an active highway it will take forever. Now if they could build a new interstate right beside it, then it could be done quickly and relatively cheaply. But they won't purchase all that new right of way.
How about I-40 from I-95 all the way to Wilmington?

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 04, 2021, 07:45:53 AM

That segment of I-40 only has around 20,000-30,000 AADT, there's no need for any more than 4 lanes.

D-Dey65

I really haven't gone 65 mph anywhere I can think of in North Carolina. I usually do the standard 70 mph and more like most people. In fact a couple of times I went up to 100 mph just to see if the cars I had were capable of doing speeds like that. The most urban segments of I-95 that I can see are Lumberton, Dunn, and the Smithfield-Selma area. In places like Fayetteville, Wilson, and Rocky Mount, there shouldn't be that much of an excuse to keep it down to 65.

sprjus4

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 04, 2021, 01:10:04 PM
In places like Fayetteville, Wilson, and Rocky Mount, there shouldn't be that much of an excuse to keep it down to 65.
All of those segments are posted at 70 mph.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 04, 2021, 09:42:19 AM

That segment of I-40 only has around 20,000-30,000 AADT, there's no need for any more than 4 lanes.
How about beach traffic? On July 1st (or 2nd) 2017, I went there and LOS was like C or D.

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 04, 2021, 08:13:19 PM

How about beach traffic? On July 1st (or 2nd) 2017, I went there and LOS was like C or D.

If it's LOS C or D at its absolute worst, it doesn't need to be upgraded.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on March 04, 2021, 09:16:05 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 04, 2021, 08:13:19 PM

If it's LOS C or D at its absolute worst, it doesn't need to be upgraded.
How about 6 lanes instead

froggie

^ Not necessary.  Although many agencies prefer LOS C, LOS D is considered an acceptable LOS by FHWA.

tolbs17

Quote from: froggie on March 05, 2021, 09:09:28 AM
^ Not necessary.  Although many agencies prefer LOS C, LOS D is considered an acceptable LOS by FHWA.
Why not LOS A or B?

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 05, 2021, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: froggie on March 05, 2021, 09:09:28 AM
Why not LOS A or B?

A-C are all pretty much free flow, and D is a minor slowdown.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

LOS D is still generally at-speed...just with greatly reduced spacing between vehicles.  By definition, slowdowns begin approaching LOS E.

tolbs17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 16, 2021, 01:41:40 PM

Nah, I wouldn't say so.  Many of those areas are quite rural in nature.  The excuses are just that - excuses.  About 3 dozen other states have 70 mph zones in very similar circumstances that NC declares they can only be 65 mph.
Seems like I-95 north of I-40 will still remain 65 mph if it doesn't get fixed. Lumberton too I'm sure and maybe Smithfield/Selma if the relocation doesn't happen. Those 2 seem to be the most urbanized areas of what I can think of. Also, isn't I-95 north of Roanoke Rapids old and yet the speed limit is 70 mph?

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 09, 2021, 04:33:58 PM

Seems like I-95 north of I-40 will still remain 65 mph if it doesn't get fixed. Lumberton too I'm sure and maybe Smithfield/Selma if the relocation doesn't happen. Those 2 seem to be the most urbanized areas of what I can think of. Also, isn't I-95 north of Roanoke Rapids old and yet the speed limit is 70 mph?

I-95 north of Roanoke Rapids was rehabbed and the speed limit went up after its completion.

I-95 through lumberton was 55 or 60 before it was rehabbed 20 years ago.

Unrehabbed portions of I-95 that were built in the 1950s-60s are what is 65 and when those segments are rehabbed there is a decent probability speed limits will rise to 70, with the exception of Lumberton which might be urban enough to leave at 65.

tolbs17

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 09, 2021, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 09, 2021, 04:33:58 PM

I-95 north of Roanoke Rapids was rehabbed and the speed limit went up after its completion.
I assume you're talking about the Roanoke River bridges and the shoulder widening on the left side. So I'm guessing it's similar of what they did to I-85 north of Henderson.

SkyPesos

If it's based on age, most of I-70 in MO would be signed at 60 mph if it's maintained by NCDOT then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.