News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

CanesFan27

Thanks, Mike.  I'll have to take a look into it.  I did see in searches that Methodist College (now University) preferred a west shore of the Cape Fear River of the Cape Fear Expressway I'll have to piece it all together.

Not sure - still researching.  I've heard (but never seen anything official) Business 95 and also NC 24. The Cape Fear Expressway may provide clues but I haven't solved that mystery yet.

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 18, 2020, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 18, 2020, 09:22:09 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on July 17, 2020, 10:31:12 PM
So where was the Martin Luther King Jr Freeway in Fayetteville intended to go after its current northern terminus?  Over to I-95, north along US 401, or somewhere else?

1968 Cumberland County map shows the north extension to take a sharp dive southeast back to US 301.  The south end was initially planned to be further north along US 301 than the NC 87 interchange area:

The 1972 Cumberland County map - https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/8231/rec/32 - shows the southern end synching up with NC 87 and no change to northern end.

The 1980 Cumberland County map - https://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ncmaps/id/8681/rec/35 -  no longer shows a proposed extension northward.

To see a bigger context of what Fayetteville envisioned, see page 55 of the Owen Dr Freeway EIS - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=ien.35556030147805&view=1up&seq=55  - the sharp turn at the Cape Fear River on the northern extensin is really a new route for US 401

The history of the CBD Loop does not mention what happened to the northern extension in the EIS for the southern extensin - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=ien.35556031254923&view=1up&seq=20

D-Dey65

I'll bet Lumberton is going to get clobbered by the most recent tropical storm again.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-08-07-i-440-east-traffic-shift-i-40-jones-franklin.aspx

QuoteRALEIGH – N.C. Department of Transportation contractors are scheduled to shift traffic toward the median on Interstate 440 East from I-40 to Jones Franklin Road on Sunday night as part of the Interstate 440 Improvements project.

At 9:30 p.m., crews will isolate traffic to a single lane beginning with the outside and then alternating to the inside lane to allow crews to place barrier wall and pavement markings. The shift is scheduled to be completed by 6 a.m. Monday. Traffic will be in this pattern for about nine months.

The ramp from I-40 West to I-440 East will be closed during the shift. Drivers will follow a detour through the loops at the interchange to get on I-440 East.

At the same time, the ramp from I-440 East to Jones Franklin Road (Exit 1C) will close for nine months. A detour will direct drivers to take the Western Boulevard exit (Exit 2), turn right onto Western Boulevard, make a U-turn at Kent Road and take I-440 West back to Jones Franklin Road.

Beginning at 6 a.m. Monday, a new temporary exit loop will take motorists from I-440 East to Jones Franklin Road (Exit 1C). Drivers will pass under the Jones Franklin Road bridge and immediately exit to the right onto the new loop. There will be a signal at the top of the ramp and lanes to turn right and left. This pattern will be in place for nine months as the new bridge over the highway is constructed.

All work is weather conditional. A rain date is planned for Monday night.

​Drivers should pay attention and allow for extra time to navigate through the work zone.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Demolition work on the northbound US-701 bridge over the Cape Fear River in Elizabethtown has begun. A separate contract to replace both bridges with a single 4-lane bridge is planned to be awarded this fall.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-08-11-us-701-north-bridge-demo.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm

The US 74/Lattimore Rd/Ellenboro Rd grade separation project (R-4045) west of Shelby has been added to the STIP thanks to the INFRA grant, with construction scheduled to start in 2022. If the remaining sections of the Shelby Bypass also start construction in 2022 as scheduled, there will finally be a completed freeway between I-26 and I-85 by the middle of the decade.

The Ghostbuster

Any plans for an Interstate designation on US 74 when the freeway is completed (as if North Carolina needed any additional Interstates running within its borders)?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 14, 2020, 08:24:02 PM
Any plans for an Interstate designation on US 74 when the freeway is completed (as if North Carolina needed any additional Interstates running within its borders)?

Nothing official from NCDOT so far, but the local push for it has already begun. I'd say it's only a matter of time before the stretch between I-26 and I-85 becomes a 3di, likely an I-x26.

The Monroe Bypass is tolled, so that pretty much kills any chance of an interstate between I-74 in Rockingham and I-485.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on August 15, 2020, 07:59:45 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 14, 2020, 08:24:02 PM

Nothing official from NCDOT so far, but the local push for it has already begun. I'd say it's only a matter of time before the stretch between I-26 and I-85 becomes a 3di, likely an I-x26.

The Monroe Bypass is tolled, so that pretty much kills any chance of an interstate between I-74 in Rockingham and I-485.
I-226 would not be a good choice because US 74 actually intersects NC 226 in Shelby. I-426 works; there is no NC 426.

Roadsguy

Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 15, 2020, 06:32:46 PM
I-226 would not be a good choice because US 74 actually intersects NC 226 in Shelby.

Which is exactly why NCDOT will choose I-226. :spin:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sparker

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 15, 2020, 06:47:46 PM
I-226 would not be a good choice because US 74 actually intersects NC 226 in Shelby.

Actually, the reason NCDOT originally rejected all the potential even designations for the now I-87 corridor was conflict with state highways 46, 54, and 56 (although the first didn't even come close to the nascent Interstate corridor).  AASHTO rejected the state-highway-primacy argument but somehow in a fit of idiocy accepted their alternate N-S designation but changed the number for equally spurious reasons.  So number conflict does figure into NCDOT choices.  But in the case of any new designation along US 74, IMO they'll opt for a combination designation for US 74 both west of I-85 and from Charlotte to Rockingham.  And since there's no state highway 36 presently -- and that's a choice AASHTO would readily accept -- I predict that if and when Interstate designation is sought for the US 74 corridor they'll submit I-36 as the number.   Remember NCDOT and the state legislators holding their purse strings seem to prefer 2di's (which is why I'm surprised future I-587 wasn't submitted as I-46 after the I-42 designation was finalized for US 70).

ARMOURERERIC

Actually, 426 has been floated out there.

CanesFan27

Quote from: sparker on August 15, 2020, 07:39:47 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on August 15, 2020, 06:47:46 PM

Actually, the reason NCDOT originally rejected all the potential even designations for the now I-87 corridor was conflict with state highways 46, 54, and 56 (although the first didn't even come close to the nascent Interstate corridor).  AASHTO rejected the state-highway-primacy argument but somehow in a fit of idiocy accepted their alternate N-S designation but changed the number for equally spurious reasons.  So number conflict does figure into NCDOT choices.  But in the case of any new designation along US 74, IMO they'll opt for a combination designation for US 74 both west of I-85 and from Charlotte to Rockingham.  And since there's no state highway 36 presently -- and that's a choice AASHTO would readily accept -- I predict that if and when Interstate designation is sought for the US 74 corridor they'll submit I-36 as the number.   Remember NCDOT and the state legislators holding their purse strings seem to prefer 2di's (which is why I'm surprised future I-587 wasn't submitted as I-46 after the I-42 designation was finalized for US 70).

Correct -  NCDOT's full explanation on their original choices are documented here: https://www.gribblenation.org/2016/05/36-and-89-ncdot-submits-their.html

The state may no longer be as eager to change numbers (see NC 73 and as of now NC 42) though. 

ARMOURERERIC

There is updated Google imagry for the Shelby bypass and the NC16 dualization south of Conover.

RoadPelican

NC 16 widening is scheduled to be finished next summer, 2021.

This will create a great 4 lane alternate (and more direct route) over I-85 and US 321 for motorists traveling back and forth from Hickory to Charlotte.

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on August 20, 2020, 01:23:42 PM
NC 16 widening is scheduled to be finished next summer, 2021.

This will create a great 4 lane alternate (and more direct route) over I-85 and US 321 for motorists traveling back and forth from Hickory to Charlotte.
I see NC-16 as being just that - an alternate route.

The northern 15 miles from I-40 to Denver, including the under construction portion - is 4 lane divided - but is being built as a boulevard with curb and gutter and a 50 mph (perhaps 55 mph south of Newton) speed limit.

The southern 20 miles from Denver to I-485, on the other hand, was actually built IMO properly. A new alignment built mostly to freeway standards with a couple at-grade intersections. The speed limit is 65 mph in some areas, though drops to 60 mph due to some minor intersections towards the northern end.

I think it would be a more viable alternative had they built it to expressway standards with at least a 60 mph speed limit throughout, and even more so if 65 mph was permitted on divided highways - specifically in areas where it has to be 60 mph for miles on end just because there's a minor at-grade intersection mixed in with overpasses and interchanges.

I-85 to US-321 will likely continue to be the main route, built to full 65 mph freeway standards with the exception of the gap at the I-85 junction, and only a few miles longer. The NC-16 route will be a useful alternate route for those wishing to avoid the interstate and during congestion / incidents. Not against the NC-16 project, but I just feel like it could've been done better, particularly building on new alignment to avoid impacts and to allow a wider, expressway / freeway design. At least they got US-321 right when that project was built decades ago - full freeway design throughout with a 65 mph speed limit (that should be increased to 70 mph).

Roadsguy

Speaking of NC 16, has NCDOT ever indicated long-term plans to upgrade the road to a freeway closer to Charlotte, especially the section around the I-85 interchange? The freeway section extending from the end of I-277 stops just short of I-85, causing all the traffic from I-85 to the west heading to downtown to funnel through the SPUI.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 20, 2020, 05:17:46 PM
Speaking of NC 16, has NCDOT ever indicated long-term plans to upgrade the road to a freeway closer to Charlotte, especially the section around the I-85 interchange? The freeway section extending from the end of I-277 stops just short of I-85, causing all the traffic from I-85 to the west heading to downtown to funnel through the SPUI.
Not really answering your question, but supposedly an NC widening of 16 north of 40 is making it's was through the works.  IIRC for 8 miles toward Taylorsville.

RoadPelican

"specifically in areas where it has to be 60 mph for miles on end just because there's a minor at-grade intersection mixed in with overpasses and interchanges."

Reminds me of US 421 from Sanford to Greensboro, except for the brief 65 MPH zone on the Siler City Bypass.

I think all rural 4 lane highways across the state should be at least 60, 65 is even better.  If most rural 2 lane roads are 55, what good is it to spend money on widening roads, if you can't go a little faster?

One obvious candidate for a bump up from 55 is NC 24 from Fayetteville to Jacksonville, most of this road is very rural (especially the newly widened part west of Clinton) and the Kenansville bypass.  This is a key economic and national defense corridor as it is the most direct link between Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg.  Also in the same area, NC 87 from Elizabethtown to Fayetteville, except for the towns of Tar Heel and Dublin.

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on August 21, 2020, 08:58:45 AM
If most rural 2 lane roads are 55, what good is it to spend money on widening roads, if you can't go a little faster?
There's other obvious benefits, being able to safely pass slower vehicles, having a median between opposing traffic, more capacity, etc. but I do agree a four lane divided highway should easily be able to handle at least 60 mph, preferably 65 mph.

Quote from: RoadPelican on August 21, 2020, 08:58:45 AM
One obvious candidate for a bump up from 55 is NC 24 from Fayetteville to Jacksonville, most of this road is very rural (especially the newly widened part west of Clinton) and the Kenansville bypass.  This is a key economic and national defense corridor as it is the most direct link between Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg.  Also in the same area, NC 87 from Elizabethtown to Fayetteville, except for the towns of Tar Heel and Dublin.
Most of US-17 should be posted at 60 mph where it's currently 55 mph.

I contacted NCDOT a few months ago on Twitter regarding speed limits being increased from 55 mph to 60 mph, and noted specific examples including US-17, NC-24, NC-87, US-64, and US-117 and they said they would pass information along. I also mentioned freeway segments of US-117 and US-421 that could be increased from 60 mph to 65 or 70 mph.

(4 posts)
https://twitter.com/sprjus4/status/1252300894839943170

A couple weeks ago, I followed up and they DMed me an email response from the state traffic engineer essentially saying he largely agrees with my assessment having driven those roads himself, and that they plan to begin speed studies on several segments. He said their goal was to increase speed limits on divided highways around the state where safely possible, pointing to the recent increase to much of US-70 between Raleigh and New Bern from 55 mph to 60 mph.

The recently widened portions of US-13 and US-158 in the northeastern part of the state were also recently increased in the past couple of years from 55 mph to 60 mph, which I believe was requested by the county, NCDOT studied it, and ultimately increased it.

I'm hopeful that over the next couple of years, we'll be seeing more 60 mph signage along more and more divided highways, especially in the eastern part of the state. Ideally, many should actually be 65 mph, but I'll gladly take 60 mph over 55 mph.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 20, 2020, 05:17:46 PM

A feasibility study was released this year for "Improvements to NC 16 (Brookshire Boulevard) from Lucia Riverbend Highway to North Hoskins Road in Charlotte" with two alternatives studied: 1) freeway/expressway and 2) a reduced conflict intersection corridor. Neither alternative proposes upgrades to the interchange with I-85.

sprjus4

^

It's been a couple weeks since I've read it, but IIRC they showed concepts for an I-485 interchange overhaul.

LM117

Beginning next Monday, NCDOT will close NC-96 just south of Zebulon for one week in order to repair the Snipes Creek culvert.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-08-28-snipes-creek-culvert-under-nc-96.aspx

CanesFan27

This was supposed to be a part of Business Route Interstate Awareness Week but kids and stuff.  However, a feature on what was once Business Loop I-95 in North Carolina from Kenly to Gold Rock (between exits 107 and 145). Some history, it only existed from 1978-1986, the last remaining known signage of the route, and a look at how Interstate 95 transitioned to US 301 in Kenly (never knew it until researching.)  Thanks again to Shaun White for the photo from this week.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/08/local-sign-find-last-remnant-of.html

ARMOURERERIC

There are recent 2 well done 4k videos of Shelby Bypass construction from NC 226 to NC 150 under you tube contributor Hi-Tech Hikers

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.