News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-90 / Mass Pike Signing Work

Started by bob7374, August 14, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on June 20, 2019, 06:28:01 PM
Good to know. The two signs in the Street View image has been taken down the last time through the Weston interchange in early June. Was wondering if they were going to be replaced.
That would make sense.  Prior to last week, I was in the area during Memorial Day weekend and the old bridge-mounted signs were still there.  Although I'm a bit surprised that the new gantry & signs weren't already erected prior to the old signs being removed.  I guess the gantry's located too close to the overpass to allow for such.

Anyway, the old sign for I-95 (MA 128) southbound I believe were the last ones to list Cape Cod as a control destination/point for that route.

Quote from: Ben114 on June 20, 2019, 07:04:37 PM
I was able to find a photo of said signs.

Those aren't the ones.  The ones I'm referring to are prior to one seeing those signs & have the route shield/direction cardinals, sans the TO 30 legend, arranged per my earlier description.  The BGS' I'm referring to are also taller; especially for the southbound panel.

Edited to add
A photo of the signs I was describing has since made it onto Facebook's BostonRoads page from one of the users here but not yet on the malmeroads.net site.  Hopefully, the above-link works for those who do not have a Facebook account.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

For those who can't access Facebook, here's the new overhead signs along the I-90/Mass Pike ramp to I-95:

That and photos of the new advance signs for the Weston exit eastbound are now up at:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

SidS1045

Last evening I saw a few new signs on the eastbound approach to the I-95 exit, regarding the ban on transport of hazardous materials on the Pike east of I-95.  Too dark to get some photos, however.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

I have posted new signage photos from the Mass Pike between Weston and Framingham, courtesy of Benjamin Long. They include new ramp signage, such at the split of the Pike off-ramp in Framingham:

and new ground mounted signage along the Pike such as this new version of the Trucker Advisory sign eastbound in Weston (notice there would be room for a future 123 exit number):

The remaining new photos are on my I-90/Mass Pike Photo Gallery:http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

SignBridge

Wow Bob, I'm surprised to see a brand new butterfly style sign gantry in the 21st Century! I didn't think anyone in the USA built those anymore. New York replaced all or most of theirs by the 1970's with full across the road gantries so errant drivers wouldn't be crashing into the pole.

roadman

Quote from: SignBridge on July 10, 2019, 08:40:42 PM
Wow Bob, I'm surprised to see a brand new butterfly style sign gantry in the 21st Century! I didn't think anyone in the USA built those anymore. New York replaced all or most of theirs by the 1970's with full across the road gantries so errant drivers wouldn't be crashing into the pole.

Original project plans called for a full span structure across the ramps at this location, which was later deemed impractical to construct due to utility conflicts and other constraints.  The location is protected by an impact attenuator, so it's MUTCD compliant.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SidS1045

The 1/2-mile advance sign for exit 15 (westbound) has been replaced...with, if my eyes haven't deceived me, a mistake.  The EXIT ONLY arrow is pointing to the middle lane, not the right lane.

SignBridge

Thanks Roadman. That's interesting about the change in specs for the sign gantry. And yes, it is MUTCD compliant with the impact attenuator.

bob7374

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 11, 2019, 03:27:51 PM
The 1/2-mile advance sign for exit 15 (westbound) has been replaced...with, if my eyes haven't deceived me, a mistake.  The EXIT ONLY arrow is pointing to the middle lane, not the right lane.
If it's like the mistake they made with the 1/2 mile for the Newton/Watertown exit, they'll change the Exit (Arrow) Only tab to Exit Only (Arrow). From a live image on this evening's news, they may also have replaced the 1/2 mile advance heading east for Allston-Brighton, I may just have to check out the Boston to Weston section of the Pike this weekend.

Ben114

Found this on my way home from Buffalo yesterday. (yes this is GSV, I didn't take a picture)

This is approaching exit B3 on the Berkshire Connector, from the other side it looks just like a MassDOT sign.

shadyjay

This afternoon, returning from a weekend in New York, I traveled the 'pike from the NY state line out to Exit 10 (Auburn).  Yup, I did notice the above-photographed sign and quickly grabbed a shot of it.  I also noticed one remaining old Exit 5 sign (33/Chicopee) remaining, along with numerous regulatory-style signs that have still not been replaced yet.... or maybe they have but the sheating has been torn (speed limit signs).  Still a lot of faded merge and "lane ends" signs, old town line signs, and even some brown overpass labels.  The Phase III button copy at Exit 6, westbound, continues to live on, but with a new monotube bridge gantry behind it, one can only guess for how much longer.  I can't believe this project is still not finished. 

Photos from my Mass Pike drive can be found here (starting from the third row on this page, down...)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157667478371052/page2

I hope to get further east in the weeks ahead.

Beeper1

Quote from: shadyjay on July 14, 2019, 07:12:16 PM
The Phase III button copy at Exit 6, westbound, continues to live on, but with a new monotube bridge gantry behind it, one can only guess for how much longer.  I can't believe this project is still not finished. 

That empty monotube gantry has been there since last October/November.  No idea what has happened but the western contract seems to have totally stalled.    The WB overhead assembly at Exit 10 in Auburn is still there as well.

roadman

Quote from: Ben114 on July 14, 2019, 01:11:54 PM
Found this on my way home from Buffalo yesterday. (yes this is GSV, I didn't take a picture)

This is approaching exit B3 on the Berkshire Connector, from the other side it looks just like a MassDOT sign.

That's because it is a MassDOT sign.  Was installed as part of the I-90 "Go Live" AET implementation contract.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: Beeper1 on July 14, 2019, 10:43:36 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on July 14, 2019, 07:12:16 PM
The Phase III button copy at Exit 6, westbound, continues to live on, but with a new monotube bridge gantry behind it, one can only guess for how much longer.  I can't believe this project is still not finished. 

That empty monotube single chord gantry has been there since last October/November.  No idea what has happened but the western contract seems to have totally stalled.    The WB overhead assembly at Exit 10 in Auburn is still there as well.

Corrected it for you.  In the sign support world, monotube refers to the large curved tubular gantries that are designed to look like a single piece.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on July 11, 2019, 10:30:49 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on July 11, 2019, 03:27:51 PM
If it's like the mistake they made with the 1/2 mile for the Newton/Watertown exit, they'll change the Exit (Arrow) Only tab to Exit Only (Arrow). From a live image on this evening's news, they may also have replaced the 1/2 mile advance heading east for Allston-Brighton, I may just have to check out the Boston to Weston section of the Pike this weekend.
Here's a photo of the sign:

The 1-mile advance isn't much better. Photos of that sign and the new remaining overheads put between Newton and Allston-Brighton are on my I-90/Mass Pike Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html

SignBridge

How the heck does something like that happen? And nobody catches it?

hotdogPi

If it pointed to the right lane, it would imply that Exit 15B is exit only, while it should apply to Exit 15A.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SidS1045

Quote from: 1 on July 15, 2019, 09:28:16 PM
If it pointed to the right lane, it would imply that Exit 15B is exit only, while it should apply to Exit 15A.

In that case, perhaps a small edit would be in order, as in "EXITS ONLY" or "EXITS 15B-A ONLY."  Not exactly MUTCD-compliant, but it would convey the correct message, with the arrow properly placed over the right lane.

mrsman

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 16, 2019, 02:49:17 PM

In that case, perhaps a small edit would be in order, as in "EXITS ONLY" or "EXITS 15B-A ONLY."  Not exactly MUTCD-compliant, but it would convey the correct message, with the arrow properly placed over the right lane.

One idea to fix it would be to only mention I-95 at this point.  A supplemental sign for exit 15B to convey that message separately.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: mrsman on July 17, 2019, 05:20:42 PM
One idea to fix it would be to only mention I-95 at this point.  A supplemental sign for exit 15B to convey that message separately.

Good luck with that.  Getting a local to refer to that stretch as anything but 128 is harder than getting someone to call the new Thruway bridge between Tarrytown and Nyack anything but the Tappan Zee. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SectorZ

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 17, 2019, 05:23:36 PM

Good luck with that.  Getting a local to refer to that stretch as anything but 128 is harder than getting someone to call the new Thruway bridge between Tarrytown and Nyack anything but the Tappan Zee.

The sign doesn't mention 128 in the first place, he meant removing the mention of 30 at exit 15B...

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 16, 2019, 02:49:17 PM

In this direction, Exit 15B is for MA 30 and comes before Exit 15A for I-95.  If one scans through the latest GSVs; one sees that this right lane splits at Exit 15B and veers off the I-90 westbound mainline at Exit 15A.  Hence the use of the yellow EXIT \|/ ONLY banners as well as mentioning the TO 30 Weston legends on all the main & applicable panels.

IMHO, it might've been better to use a more traditional layout where information for both exits are vertically stacked for most if not all of the advance notice signs (Roadman, was such even considered?). 

The current spilt legend motif which mimicked the previous signage layout worked when this exit was just one ramp that split after leaving mainline I-90 westbound later.  Repeating said-motif on the new signs and ramp reconfiguration is the reason why the arrow locations using traditional MUTCD standards has become awkward and clunky.

Using a 1-mile advance sign for examples:

EXITS 15 B-A
    TO
    30    95
    Weston
   Waltham
Providence, RI
    1 MILE
EXIT
\|/ ONLY

or

EXITS 15 B-A
    TO
    30    95
    Weston
   Waltham
   Dedham
    1 MILE
EXIT
\|/ ONLY

or

EXITS 15 B-A
    TO
    30    95
    Weston
   Waltham
    1 MILE
EXIT
\|/ ONLY

All three of the above-examples (the latter was based on the previous sign's legends) would've reduced the overall sign width and allowed the sign to be accurately placed with respect to the lane.

Another signing layout option would be to what was done for the I-95/US 3 South/MA 3A North cloverleaf advance signage.

For the above, such would look like:
  EXITS 15 B-A
    TO   30
    Weston     
   Waltham
    1 MILE
EXIT
\|/ ONLY

or

EXITS 15 B-A
    TO   30
    Weston     
   Waltham
   Dedham
    1 MILE
EXIT
\|/ ONLY

or, as a means to reduce the overall sign height

EXITS 15 B-A
       TO   30
       Weston         
Waltham - Dedham
       1 MILE
  EXIT
\|/ ONLY
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

I always support using more well-known bigger cities as controls.  So I'm glad that they replaced Dedham with Providence.  I feel that Waltham should have been replaced with Portsmouth NH.

AASHTO Control city list:

https://traffic.transportation.org/interstate-control-cities/

hotdogPi

Quote from: mrsman on July 19, 2019, 05:42:10 PM
I always support using more well-known bigger cities as controls.  So I'm glad that they replaced Dedham with Providence.  I feel that Waltham should have been replaced with Portsmouth NH.

Waltham is almost three times as large as Portsmouth.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

mrsman

Quote from: 1 on July 19, 2019, 05:49:14 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 19, 2019, 05:42:10 PM

Waltham is almost three times as large as Portsmouth.

Nonetheless, Portsmouth is the long-distance control city on the AASHTO list and is also utilized at some junctions.

Here are signs from MA-9, where they do what is ideal, a local control and a long-distance control (when there is room):

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3165532,-71.2347802,3a,75y,75.63h,89.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siESuQYxcFsHLqKwCqVIOrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Oddly, they preferred Peabody to Waltham as the local control.  Probably because that is where I-95 splits from MA-128.

Where you can put 2 control cities, have a local and a long distance control.  Where you can only put in one control city, especially on a 2di or a bypass route, the long-distance control is more important than a suburb, even if the suburb has more population.

The sign from I-90 has room for 2 cities, but only room for 1 city to the north and 1 city to the south.  IMO, Providence and Portsmouth should take priority over other choices like Canton, Dedham, Waltham, or Peabody.  Of course where there is room for 2 cities in each direction include local controls as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.