News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sun Explosion

Started by vdeane, March 26, 2019, 01:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Ever look up at the Sun, and wonder what it would look like if it suddenly exploded then and there? What would you do?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Would you even have time to react if the sun were to somehow go Super Nova?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on March 26, 2019, 01:08:56 PM
Ever look up at the Sun, and wonder what it would look like if it suddenly exploded then and there? What would you do?

Start buying a LOT of lightbulbs.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2019, 01:14:51 PM

Depends on how fast the shockwave travels. Supernova explosions can expel matter at about ten percent of the speed of light, so we'd see it after eight minutes, and feel it after about an hour and 23 minutes.

(This is making the assumption that the explosion does not disrupt the Earth's orbit.)

kphoger

Ever look up at the Sun

My mommy said never to do that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2019, 01:44:50 PM
Ever look up at the Sun

"But momma, that's where the fun is!" -BRUUUUCE

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 26, 2019, 01:24:16 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2019, 01:14:51 PM

Depends on how fast the shockwave travels. Supernova explosions can expel matter at about ten percent of the speed of light, so we'd see it after eight minutes, and feel it after about an hour and 23 minutes.

(This is making the assumption that the explosion does not disrupt the Earth's orbit.)

I couldn't recall if light was 8 seconds or 8 minutes.  For the sun to explode it would require some sort of external force, it isn't massive enough on its own to explode into a Super Nova.  I'm thinking a collision with a rogue star might have the energy required to the job.  Are we assume there is something left like a white dwarf to hold the orbit of the Earth?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2019, 01:46:56 PM
I couldn't recall if light was 8 seconds or 8 minutes.  For the sun to explode it would require some sort of external force, it isn't massive enough on its own to explode into a Super Nova.  I'm thinking a collision with a rogue star might have the energy required to the job.  Are we assume there is something left like a white dwarf to hold the orbit of the Earth?

The problem with the rogue star idea is that such an object would disrupt the orbits of basically everything before the collision could even occur. The Earth might get flung out into interstellar space, or smashed into another planet/the sun itself, before we get to witness the fireworks. :-(

Furthermore, putting aside the fact that a supernova-like explosion would sterilize the planet, the sun's mass loss means that the Earth's orbit would widen considerably. If we survive the explosion, we're likely to freeze to death!

hotdogPi

If you're using AutoCAD, you can explode anything easily with just a few button presses.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

renegade

The threads today are boring ... how about "Ever wonder what would happen if Earth exploded right then and there?"  

Must be Stoopid Tuesday.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Big John

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Don't worry, the Sun has 5 billion years left (pending on something out of Science Fiction happening), and once it uses up all its Hydrogen, it would take out Mercury & Venus, and give Earth extreme global warming, before giving Earth a nuclear winter like no other.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Mr. Matté

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2019, 01:44:50 PM
Ever look up at the Sun

If the president does it it's not illegal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.