News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite "Driving" Songs

Started by tchafe1978, December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Has Freebird been mentioned in this thread yet?  If so, the site's search function is terrible...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Pete from Boston

I can no longer think of "Free Bird" and driving without having The Devil's Rejects come immediately to mind.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: cjk374 on February 23, 2015, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 23, 2015, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on February 23, 2015, 12:49:10 AM
I second "Life Is A Highway". I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned sooner.

Ugh. I hate that song.

I like that song.  It made the movie "Cars" even better, even if they used Raschal Flats instead of Tom Cochrane's version.
I'm not usually a fan of Rascal Flatts, but I feel like they actually improved Tom Cochrane's original.

And while we're talking of covers and the OP mentioned Chickenfoot, check out their cover of Deep Purple's Highway Star.

slorydn1

Ok, Ok, thought of a couple of more:

How many of us who got our licenses in the late 70's through mid 80's got busted by someone in another car for tapping out the drum line to "My Sharona" on the steering wheel/dashboard (GUILTY), :p

and who can forget the late night blasts up a freeway on-ramp to "Danger Zone", especially right after the movie "Top Gun" came out?

Oh and I got my first traffic ticket on Salem Drive in Schaumburg Il way back in the day and when the officer walked up to the window I was cranking some Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive Fifty-Five". The officer looked at me and said "It's ok, you weren't doing 55.....however you were doing 37-in a 25. License and registration please." :eyebrow:

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

vtk

The first time a police officer approached me about something I did with a car, it was because I'd been making fast tight circles in my high school stadium parking lot.  While making those maneuvers, I'd been blasting Styx "Come Sail Away".  The girl in the car with me enjoyed it as much as I did.  Officer didn't issue a ticket; he just lectured me about how I someone else was doing the same thing and wrapped his vehicle around one of the concrete light pole bases.  Of course, I'd made it a point to remain aware of those during my maneuvers, but I wasn't gonna argue that point with the cop.

DaBigE

Maybe I missed them further up the thread:

Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" and "We Weren't Born to Follow"
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Ian

As a fan of electronic music, I have to say that I really enjoy listening to that type of music while driving. Some of my personal favorites include...

Speak of the Devil by Hermitude

Forever Lost by Pretty Lights

DTW to DIA by GRiZ

Netzwerk (Falls Like Rain) by Klangkarussell

Untrue by Tchami

Lost You and White Satin by Zeds Dead

This one ranks #1 for me. High You Are by What So Not (Branchez remix).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

KG909

Quote from: Ian on March 15, 2015, 11:05:34 PM
As a fan of electronic music, I have to say that I really enjoy listening to that type of music while driving. Some of my personal favorites include...

Speak of the Devil by Hermitude

Forever Lost by Pretty Lights

DTW to DIA by GRiZ

Netzwerk (Falls Like Rain) by Klangkarussell

Untrue by Tchami

Lost You and White Satin by Zeds Dead

This one ranks #1 for me. High You Are by What So Not (Branchez remix).
http://youtu.be/glmBscKJ530
~Fuccboi

KEK Inc.

I like liquid dnb for driving.  It's calm, but it also keeps me awake due to the fast beat. 

Here's an example of one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-7oQpFbwg
Take the road less traveled.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

KEK Inc.

Takumi

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 05, 2015, 03:01:37 PM
I like liquid dnb for driving.  It's calm, but it also keeps me awake due to the fast beat. 

Here's an example of one.
(snipped Etherwood video)

Same here. Liquid is my favorite subgenre of dnb. Calibre, Logistics, Nu:Tone, High Contrast, Klute, and (even though he isn't necessarily liquid) Culture Shock are some of my favorite artists in no particular order.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KEK Inc.

I really like the liquicity year mixes maduk releases.  It flows really well for long drives.

iPhone

BigRedDog

Big fan of bluegrass here. Specifically:

Cluck Old Hen by Alison Krauss & Union Station (from the Live album)
We Hide & Seek by Alison Krauss & Union Station (from the Live album)
Can't Trust the Weatherman by Cadillac Sky
Heat of the Morning by Cherryhomes
Wolfcreek Pass by Chris Thile
Brothers of the Highway by Dailey & Vincent
1952 Vincent Black Lightning by Del McCoury Band
Ashville Turnaround by Del McCoury Band
My Love Will Not Change by Del McCoury Band
This World Oft Can Be by Della Mae
No More to Leave you Behind by The Infamous Stringdusters
40 West by The Infamous Stringdusters
Smoothie Song by Nickel Creek
Appalachian Joy by Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
Road to Spencer by Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder
Nickle Tree Line by Ron Block

02 Park Ave

"Pennsylvania Turnpike, I Love You" by Dick Todd with The Appalachian Wildcats
C-o-H

Takumi

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 05, 2015, 09:05:45 PM
I really like the liquicity year mixes maduk releases.  It flows really well for long drives.
Yeah, dnb mixes are good for that. I recommend the Green Mix of Andy C's Nightlife 6. There are also two other mixes (Red and Blue) that explore different styles of the genre.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

triplemultiplex

There's a lot of Tom Petty that sounds awesome while driving. 
"Runnin' Down a Dream" in particular.

AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" goes quite well with freeway velocities.

I love me some Foo Fighters, and some of their faster tunes like "DOA" or "The Pretender" are good on the road.

I like to queue up tracks from Darkside of the Moon when in traffic.  Keeps the stress down when jackholes cut you off.
"Breathe.... Breathe in the air...."

I live on the road right now, so there are a lot of songs I associate with driving.  I hear them on the radio; they come up on my media player; I associate songs with cities.
I've got my Salt Lake City songs, my Albuquerque songs, my Nashville songs, my Milwaukee songs, my Anchorage songs even though I was only there for two weeks.
Damn you Clear Channel! (I mean "I [f]Heart Radio"!)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Pete from Boston

I listened to Lee Hazelwood all the way across US 6 in Nevada.  It was perfect.

vtk

I would enjoy listening to Dark Side Of The Moon straight through on a road trip. Particularly at night.

AplikowskiTheMinnesotan

Many rock bands from the 70's and 80's go well, mine would be:

Kansas-Carry on Wayward Son, Play the Game Tonight, Point of Know Return, Fight Fire with Fire

Blue Oyster Cult-Don't Fear the Reaper, Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, Revenge of Vera Gemini, Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll, Then Came the Last Days of May, Divine Wind, Tenderloin, Morning Final, Deadline, Godzilla, Burnin' For You, and Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Ram Jam-Black Betty

Wild Cherry-Play That Funky Music

Rush-Anything from their 2112 and Fly By Night albums, and Red Barchetta

Aerosmith-Dream On

Pink Floyd-Anything from their Dark Side of the Moon album, Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2), Cymbaline, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, and Jugband Blues.

Boston-More than a Feeling, and Foreplay/Long Time.

Earth, Wind and Fire-September, Fantasy, and Let's Groove

Alan Parsons Project-A Recurring Dream within a Dream, Hyper Gamma Spaces, Dr. Tarr and Professor Feather, You Lie Down with Dogs

Steely Dan-Anything from their Aja and Gaucho albums, along with Gaslighting Abbie

Bee Gees-Stayin' Alive, You Should Be Dancing, More than a Woman, Love so Right, Nights on Broadway, Tragedy, Don't Throw Away our Love, How Deep is your Love, and Night Fever

The Trammps-Disco Inferno, and Disco Party

Christopher Cross-Ride Like the Wind

England Dan & John Ford Coley-I'd Really Love to See You Tonight, and Love is the Answer.

AC/DC-TNT, Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Thunderstruck, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Rush is the best band! Case closed.

Desert Man

I can't believe nobody mentioned 'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty...until now. It's in Grand Theft Auto's radio stations embedded in the game. I remember it from Coast-to-Coast AM bumpers when Art Bell hosted (now by George Noory). If I ever find a Baker Street near me, I wanna play it...but I don't drive, so if I was with my wife or parents or in a bus, listen to it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo6aKnRnBxM
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

US 41

Quote from: KG909 on February 15, 2015, 11:44:03 PM
Kendrick Lamar- Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe

Kendrick Lamar is a guy I can listen to for hours at a time while I'm driving. His song Cloud 10 is one that we all can relate to. "A freeway, a gas pedal, and a piece of mind."

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

KG909

Quote from: US 41 on June 01, 2015, 10:42:11 PM
Quote from: KG909 on February 15, 2015, 11:44:03 PM
Kendrick Lamar- Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe

Kendrick Lamar is a guy I can listen to for hours at a time while I'm driving. His song Cloud 10 is one that we all can relate to. "A freeway, a gas pedal, and a piece of mind."

I'll check that song out. I noticed he also referenced a freeway in another song: Collard Greens by Schoolboy Q, when he says "Pop my top on the [Interstate] 105". And a few days ago he was rapping on a traffic signal. Wouldn't it be great if he was actually a roadgeek?
~Fuccboi

cpzilliacus

Goin' Mobile by the Who
"Keep me movin' "

Blue Highway by Billy Idol
"Oh you know we're gonna ride
On a blue highway
Walk with electro glide
On a blue highway"
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.