News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

OK, the Lee County Sheriff's Office has a video taken by helicopter. The causeway breach shown in prior posts in this thread is exactly where you guys said–nice job figuring it out–but in this video you can also see far more severe damage halfway across.

https://twitter.com/SheriffLeeFL/status/1575529164899340289
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zzcarp

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2022, 01:52:26 PM
OK, the Lee County Sheriff's Office has a video taken by helicopter. The causeway breach shown in prior posts in this thread is exactly where you guys said–nice job figuring it out–but in this video you can also see far more severe damage halfway across.

https://twitter.com/SheriffLeeFL/status/1575529164899340289

Oof-one of the middle islands is now two! That will make the rebuild a bit more complex.
So many miles and so many roads

Rothman

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 29, 2022, 11:21:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 29, 2022, 08:55:36 AM

However, I do wonder about "house poor" Floridians who just can't bolt and afford a hotel for days on end.

Given the insane price of coastal real estate in Florida, I can't imagine that there are many people who live in evacuation zones that can't afford to either evacuate when needed, or sell their property and move elsewhere.
You'd be surprised.  Florida real estate is the strangest I've ever encountered.  Lords living next to the serfs (i.e., mansions built next to trailer parks...).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on September 29, 2022, 02:43:06 PM

However, I do wonder about "house poor" Floridians who just can't bolt and afford a hotel for days on end.

Given the insane price of coastal real estate in Florida, I can't imagine that there are many people who live in evacuation zones that can't afford to either evacuate when needed, or sell their property and move elsewhere.
You'd be surprised.  Florida real estate is the strangest I've ever encountered.  Lords living next to the serfs (i.e., mansions built next to trailer parks...).

That's not too surprising. Sometimes it's just the houses right on the waterfront as expensive, and then you could have trailers across the street. There's some pockets of that near Lake Michigan, but not as extreme as my example.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

skluth

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 29, 2022, 03:12:13 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 29, 2022, 02:43:06 PM

That's not too surprising. Sometimes it's just the houses right on the waterfront as expensive, and then you could have trailers across the street. There's some pockets of that near Lake Michigan, but not as extreme as my example.

That's also seen around many of the smaller Northwoods lakes. My mom's uncle had a cottage next to White Potato Lake back in the 60s. There were thousands of lakefront and riverfront cottages all over NE Wisconsin from Wautoma to Washington Island even then. There are still some cottages built back in the 50s and 60s with hand-built cupboards and screened porches with fiberglass roofs but over time they've been replaced by much nicer construction built to modern codes, especially as many owners now live in their "cottage" full-time.

webny99

Ian has become a Category 1 hurricane again as it heads towards the South Carolina coast, projected to make landfall tomorrow.

webny99

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on September 29, 2022, 10:31:48 AM
There are always people at the bottom of payscale doing least favorable jobs, even in paradise locations. Someone has to clean restrooms, wash dishes, keep up grounds after the storm, pick up trash... And those jobs don't necessarily come with the paycheck in excess of the bare minimum - even if that minimum is numerically higher than the same job would get in a less premium location.

Such as elderly folks living in trailer parks.  See below...

My wife's pre-marriage best friend (the maid of honor at our wedding) just posted an update about her mother, who lives in North Fort Myers.  She lost everything.  Her neighbor two doors up the streets found her yelling and on the front porch.  She grabbed a bottle of meds as it floated out the front door next to her, and that's all she managed to save–even lost her eyeglasses.  Except, somehow, her iPhone managed to survive hours underwater.  They're hoping they can go back in soon to find her purse, but there's still four feet of water in the house.  Her mom survived, but that's about it.

Here's her story:  https://www.facebook.com/robin.s.ellison/videos/376976164649673
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

Well Hurricane Ian was a roller coast of anxiety and stress. Thankfully it did not do much of anything here, though the 30 hour power outage was frustrating. We did not lose power until about 3 hours before the last of the rain. Even the winds mostly died after that. Only twigs and leaves down, not limbs of any significance here, but further south in St. Pete, there were some tree's toppled. Also like with Hurricane Irma, the strong and consistently northerly wind pushed water out of Hillsborough Bay, Tampa Bay and other coastal waters from here northward to the Nature Coast. Flaroads and I did head down to South Tampa on Wednesday morning to see the extremely low water along Bayshore Boulevard and Ballast Point. Strongest wind gusts we felt were probably around 55 MPH.

Tampa/St. Pete was vastly spared from this storm. The heavy rainfall caught people off guard in Orlando and along the East Coast. The storm surge was more than expected along the East Coast too. But the impacts in Southwest Florida were significant as everyone knows by now. I was really surprised that when the first hurricane warnings were issued, Hillsborough, Pinellas were under them, but Lee was only under a tropical storm warning. The model divergence stayed consistent almost to the end, with the GFS showing the westerly track initially toward the Big Bend and the European showing Tampa Bay, and then ultimately Punta Gorda.

I was just talking to someone at the gym who said that a friend of his moved his boat from here down to Ft. Myers, and they still have no idea of where it is. So many boats down there washed onto land or taken to who know's where? A friend of mine who lives in Clearwater evacuated to Daytona. The area where he stayed was walloped with heavy rain and significantly strong winds than we had here. There was even a report of an EF2 tornado down in Delray Beach, so unless you were somewhere west of Live Oak, you experienced some kind of impact from Hurricane Ian in Florida.

Anyway, just now logging on to the forum, even though the weather has been beautiful since Ian pulled away ten days ago.

US 89

In Tallahassee, all we got was a couple days of awesome sunsets thanks to Ian's expansive cirrus outflow.

Previous forecasts had called for maybe an inch or so of rain, which would have been nice since we haven't had measurable rain here since the 11th of September (and not a trace since the 16th). Unfortunately for us, Ian's track kept moving farther and farther east... we didn't get a single drop.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2022, 03:14:55 PM
I was just talking to someone at the gym who said that a friend of his moved his boat from here down to Ft. Myers, and they still have no idea of where it is. So many boats down there washed onto land or taken to who know's where?

That is really unfortunate. To go through the effort of "protecting" your investment only for the storm to chase it down.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, and welcome back.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

adventurernumber1

Quote from: US 89 on October 09, 2022, 09:19:31 PM
In Tallahassee, all we got was a couple days of awesome sunsets thanks to Ian's expansive cirrus outflow.

Previous forecasts had called for maybe an inch or so of rain, which would have been nice since we haven't had measurable rain here since the 11th of September (and not a trace since the 16th). Unfortunately for us, Ian's track kept moving farther and farther east... we didn't get a single drop.

A similar thing happened up here in northwest Georgia. As the earlier projections predicted the hurricane would have had a more northerly and westerly path, it seemed our area was likely to have at least some effects and rain due to the storm. As it ended up, we did get a lot of wind but not one drop of rain, which was a surprise.

This hurricane was absolutely devastating and will definitely be one for the history books. Unfortunately it won't be the last, but hopefully another one of this magnitude won't happen again too soon. I feel for everyone who has been affected by this storm and its effects, and hopefully recovery will not take too long, although it may.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

CNGL-Leudimin

I have to admit than when I see Tropical Storm Nalgae's name the first thing that immediately comes to my head is an ass, as it resembles nalgas which is Spanish for "buttocks". I think the name should be retired for that reason.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 28, 2022, 05:23:13 PM
I have to admit than when I see Tropical Storm Nalgae's name the first thing that immediately comes to my head is an ass, as it resembles nalgas which is Spanish for "buttocks". I think the name should be retired for that reason.

It's just reminding you what body part it will be a pain in if it hits you.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

route56

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 28, 2022, 05:23:13 PM

Blame North Korea for that one.

iPhone
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

triplemultiplex

It's an interesting dichotomy to have, in the same country, a landfalling hurricane at the same time as there's a blizzard.
At least Nicole is a relatively minor storm.  It'll only cost a couple billion dollars rather than 90 billion or whatever the estimate is for Ian.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

CoreySamson

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 10, 2022, 11:18:54 AM
It's an interesting dichotomy to have, in the same country, a landfalling hurricane at the same time as there's a blizzard.
At least Nicole is a relatively minor storm.  It'll only cost a couple billion dollars rather than 90 billion or whatever the estimate is for Ian.
Nicole? More like Superstorm Sandy-lite if I do say so myself.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

Daytona Beach City PD, Volusia County SD and Marion County SD all feature on On Patrol: LIVE, so this weekend's shows should be very interesting.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 89

Typing this from what is left of the "eyewall" of Tropical Storm Nicole. A few stronger gusts here and there, with some scattered power outages around the city from time to time (though mine has stayed on). The big story here is rain - which is more than welcome here: we are currently in a short-term severe drought as we haven't really seen much if any substantial rainfall since around the start of September.

gonealookin

I noticed that Collier County, FL (Naples area) got a few more beach accesses reopened on November 23, just ahead of the Thanksgiving weekend and basically at the start of snowbird season.

The main beach state parks in the area, Delnor-Wiggins Pass and Lovers Key, remain closed, as do all beach accesses in Lee County (Fort Myers, north of Collier County).  There remains concern about shallowly-buried debris on the beaches and in the water.

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, hurricane season has started, and for some very odd reason they will start counting from 2 in the Atlantic. I don't remember any pre-season storms.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 01, 2023, 02:52:31 PM
Okay, hurricane season has started, and for some very odd reason they will start counting from 2 in the Atlantic. I don't remember any pre-season storms.

There was a subtropical storm in the middle of January.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

route56

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 01, 2023, 04:23:33 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 01, 2023, 02:52:31 PM

There was a subtropical storm in the middle of January.

I detected a hint of sarcasm on CNGL's part (he doesn't consider subtropical cyclones to be worthy of being named)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.