News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Local Area Alerts

Started by ce929wax, December 13, 2018, 10:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

When I was a kid, whenever there was bad weather (Thunderstorm or Tornado watches/warnings) our cable system had something called a Local Area Alert that would enable the Sheriff's Department to interrupt the cable system to notify us of bad weather. 

An example of this can be found here about 52 seconds in (watch with low volume): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA1VXMSvQJI

Does anyone else have memories of this?

Max Rockatansky

One of the local stations in Phoenix had a weather alert called the "Desert Doppler."   Generally the only time they ever did a Desert Doppler weather alert was when a monsoon or dust storm was kicking up.  One time I was at my brother's house and his wife saw there was a "Desert Doppler"  alert.  She promptly alerted my Brother that a Desert Doppler was coming and we should watch out.  My Brother and I started laughing then explain what Doppler Radar was.  I was actually surprised my Brother knew what Red and Blue shifts were.  Suffice to say my Sister-in-law isn't the most worldly person. She did once tell me that she never went to the Grand Canyon despite being an Arizona native because she didn't understand why people would want to see a hole in the ground...  I swear it was "Desert Doppler 9000"  but I could be just mixing the "Over 9,000"  meme in somehow in memory. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.