News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest Wind Speeds in your area

Started by snowc, March 06, 2022, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

On average, probably 20-30 mph. We see a lot of high wind events between Fall and Spring. In fact the past 6 months has probably been the windiest in recent memory, at least since 2016. The frequency of wind advisories/high wind warnings was noticeable this season.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

snowc

To add on for what I said,
Hurricane Florence reported a 56mph wind speed and 100MPH gust!
Thats the strongest we had since Hurricane Fran in 1996.

snowc

Wind speeds up to 30mph due to tstorms.
Just great.  :rolleyes:
EDITED due to inaccurate response. -BM

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 01, 2022, 08:24:13 PM
Wind speeds up to 20mph due to tstorms.

Is that high for your area?  20mph sounds like nothing to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 10:19:48 AM

Its the highest we've got in a thunderstorm. Last time we had one it cut off our power!

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 02, 2022, 11:20:35 AM

Its the highest we've got in a thunderstorm. Last time we had one it cut off our power!

You sure about that?  I checked the weather for Fayetteville Regional Airport last month, and wind speeds were at least 20 mph on one-third of all days that month.  I also checked the weather for the day of a random thunderstorm warning last year that I found on Google, and winds were 30 mph.

26-APR-2022 – 29 mph
18-APR-2022 – 21 mph
17-APR-2022 – 20 mph
14-APR-2022 – 20 mph
12-APR-2022 – 20 mph
10-APR-2022 – 22 mph
09-APR-2022 – 20 mph
07-APR-2022 – 24 mph
05-APR-2022 – 20 mph
01-APR-2022 – 22 mph

08-SEP-2021 – 30 mph
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

snowc

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 11:51:47 AM
Quote from: snowc on May 02, 2022, 11:20:35 AM

You sure about that?  I checked the weather for Fayetteville Regional Airport last month, and wind speeds were at least 20 mph on one-third of all days that month.  I also checked the weather for the day of a random thunderstorm warning last year that I found on Google, and winds were 30 mph.

26-APR-2022 – 29 mph
18-APR-2022 – 21 mph
17-APR-2022 – 20 mph
14-APR-2022 – 20 mph
12-APR-2022 – 20 mph
10-APR-2022 – 22 mph
09-APR-2022 – 20 mph
07-APR-2022 – 24 mph
05-APR-2022 – 20 mph
01-APR-2022 – 22 mph

08-SEP-2021 – 30 mph
Modified speed. We had higher gusts.

Scott5114

We've had some 60 70 mph gusts today.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

We lost power for a moment.
Winds up to 45mph due to tstorm.
Highest that it broke our flagpole!  :wow:
Multiple damage to area, and our tree is down.
We are OK, however.  :colorful:
BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
410 PM EDT Tue May 3 2022

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southeastern Harnett County in central North Carolina...
  Central Johnston County in central North Carolina...

* Until 500 PM EDT.

* At 410 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near redacted, or 9
  miles east of Lillington, moving northeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage
           to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
  Smithfield, Dunn, Benson, Micro, Selma, redacted, Coats, Four Oaks,
  Pine Level and Princeton.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

Green

US 89

Quote from: snowc on May 03, 2022, 04:29:50 PM
* At 410 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near redacted, or 9 miles east of Lillington

Quote from: snowc on May 03, 2022, 04:29:50 PM
* Locations impacted include...
  Smithfield, Dunn, Benson, Micro, Selma, redacted, Coats, Four Oaks,
  Pine Level and Princeton.

1) you do realize anyone can go find what's 9 miles east of Lillington
2) you do realize those NWS text products are archived forever on the internet for all to see

Basically, you've succeeded in drawing attention to something that probably nobody would have paid attention to otherwise.

kphoger

I have no clue why someone would be open about what county he lives in but keep the specific town a secret.

It's not like we're going to go to your town and ask around for you by screenname.
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 06:36:36 PM
I have no clue why someone would be open about what county he lives in but keep the specific town a secret.

It's not like we're going to go to your town and ask around for you by screenname.

What's more, the two town names he hid...are different. And the first one appears unredacted in that second list.

JayhawkCO

I live near Hampden and Buckley in Aurora, CO. Northwest side of that intersection. Someone is welcome to come find me.

On topic, I'm hopefully getting a new roof soon due to wind damage (found when I had my solar consultants up on the roof).

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 03, 2022, 07:02:43 PM
I live near Hampden and Buckley in Aurora, CO. Northwest side of that intersection. Someone is welcome to come find me.

On topic, I'm hopefully getting a new roof soon due to wind damage (found when I had my solar consultants up on the roof).

10 miles up poudre canyon. c'mon up.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

Highest Deleted Thread speed in your area?

vdeane

Is snowc trying to be vindictive on his way out or something?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2022, 05:32:37 PM

I don't think it's his fault. If you remember last time, his parents forced him to delete his account (which should never have happened). This might be happening again.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on May 21, 2022, 05:34:52 PM

I don't think it's his fault. If you remember last time, his parents forced him to delete his account (which should never have happened). This might be happening again.

The dude is 20, so that's some Britney Spears-level lack of personal freedom if so.

vdeane

Except he later said that it wasn't his forum account, but rather his email account or something.  Plus he never went and removed content that time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Seems as though the train finally went off the rails when the sarcastic comments about being a robot were something he took apparently seriously.  The cascading effect only seemed to worsened when the logic of Raleigh having 100F plus days all the way to September was questioned.  Speculative guess on my end that the questioning of snowc's rating Amazon as the "worst store ever"  is also playing a part. 

Scott5114

Users cannot delete their own accounts here. They can (repeatedly) ask us to do it, but we generally won't; having posts floating around with no user account to attach them to causes the forum software to make certain administration features inaccessible, and we have an interest in retaining access to those features should the user return in the future. We generally advise that if someone does not want to be able to use the forum anymore, they merely scramble their password and move on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-55

The Fort Wayne Airport had wind gusts of up to 98 mph in the single non-tornadic-hail-producing supercell RFD damage "derecho" a couple weeks back. Several traffic signals had completely blown away and I went out for the city on damage surveying.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.