News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 11, 2022, 05:48:28 PM
That's partly why I stopped spraying for weeds–if the perfect uniform appearance is already marred by dandelions or whatever, nobody's going to notice my footprints from when I go over to check on the trees or go get rain out of the barrel or whatever.

I'm sure there's a certain type of person who would seize up knowing that I've started intentionally planting clover in bare patches that I've never been able to get actual grass to grow in. Clover is nice because it grows to a fairly uniform height that is acceptable enough without having to be mowed. Bees like it, too, which some may see as a drawback but I see as a benefit. I like bees.

All kinds of natural clover here. Yes, the bees like it, and the rabbits do too.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: XamotCGC on June 15, 2022, 05:07:12 PM
Tinnitus.

Are there people out there promoting tinnitus as a good thing? 

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

XamotCGC

Quote from: XamotCGC on June 15, 2022, 05:07:12 PM
Tinnitus.
Whoops I just realized I put this in the wrong thread. I meant to put this in the minor things that bother you thread.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

I don't know that steak is overrated, but steakhouses are a whole category of restaurant I cheerfully ignore.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 22, 2022, 02:09:31 PM
I don't know that steak is overrated, but steakhouses are a whole category of restaurant I cheerfully ignore.

I'm curious to know why–and I'm assuming for obvious reasons that it isn't because of the noisy atmosphere.

As for my wife and me, we also generally avoid steakhouses, but that's because we both think steak is overrated.  However, we've found Texas Roadhouse to be a pretty good bang for your buck.
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

I like steak just fine, but think bacon is overrated

kphoger

Steak is overrated.
Bacon is overpriced.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 22, 2022, 02:09:31 PM

100%. As someone who managed one of the fancier steakhouses in Denver, almost always, steakhouses have uninteresting food, overpriced everything, shitty wine lists, etc.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 02:12:08 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on September 22, 2022, 02:09:31 PMI don't know that steak is overrated, but steakhouses are a whole category of restaurant I cheerfully ignore.

I'm curious to know why–and I'm assuming for obvious reasons that it isn't because of the noisy atmosphere.

The main reason is that steak (generally flatiron) plus baked potato is considered an "easy" meal at our house.  The total active prep time (rinsing potatoes, wrapping them in foil, putting steak on broiler pan lined with foil, seasoning it with lemon pepper, moving things in and out of the oven, etc.) is around 20 minutes and yields satisfactory eating.

A high-end restaurant that specializes in steak (including, in our local area, not just the Scotch and Sirloin or the now-closed Portobello Road, but also golf course clubhouse catering operations such as at Terradyne Country Club) will have some offerings that are not so easy to replicate in a home kitchen, such as prime rib with red wine and mushroom sauce.  However, we are not normally this fancy.  Generally, when it is not a special occasion (such as a gathering with friends) and we are looking to eat out or get takeaway, we look for dishes that are harder to do at home, such as gyros, tabbouleh, crawfish étouffée (the brown sauce is tricky), or even fried chicken (we have no way to do it without making an incredible mess).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

I don't think the taste of steak is overrated, but the overall experience of eating steak is overrated when there's too much fat and/or gristle for it to be enjoyable, which is about 90% of the time.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2022, 03:52:46 PM
I don't think the taste of steak is overrated, but the overall experience of eating steak is overrated when there's too much fat and/or gristle for it to be enjoyable, which is about 90% of the time.

Buy a nice prime ribeye and you shouldn't have to cut off any fat.

formulanone

Steak isn't overrated, until you feel you're paying too much for it. And that's a different price point for each individual. I'll go out for a $30-40 steak maybe once or twice a year, but I also get a lot more personal satisfaction making a "cheap" steak on the grill or firepit.

For the record, I enjoy going to an expensive restaurant with my wife 2-3 times a year; it's something we couldn't really afford a decade or two ago, and it checks all the boxes of "takes reservations", "great for friends and couples", "can hear normal conversation", "devoid of TVs", "has a piano player in lieu of a radio", and "popular enough to stay in business". But since we've been together for over two decades, we're also happy enough occasionally sneaking away to Milo's Hamburgers for moments that don't revolve around greeting cards.

kphoger

I still prefer a chop steak to a real steak anyway.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

I don't think steak is overrated. Steak as a restaurant meal is overrated. I can consistently turn out a better steak at home for cheaper than I can get one in a restaurant.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 04:54:43 PM

So basically a burger or hot tartare, yeah?  :)

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on September 22, 2022, 05:28:15 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 04:54:43 PM

So basically a burger or hot tartare, yeah?  :)

Yeah, basically a hamburger patty.  Put some gravy on that bad boy, and I think it's just as good as a steak–but 90% less likely to be stringy/tough/otherwise hard to eat.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Huh.  There's a Scotch and Sirloin I know of in central NY.  Looks like it isn't a chain.  Just a popular title with various takes on the "and."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

Quote from: thspfc on June 11, 2022, 01:41:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 05:35:50 PM
This one is for the runners on here:

What do you think of pre-run stretching?  Overrated or properly rated?

I've never been one to stretch before exercising unless the weather is cold.  I'm more likely to stretch afterward, though.
Properly rated.
Keeping in mind I'm in high school (and a freshman at that!) my cross-country coach says to do dynamic stretching before and static stretching after.

vdeane

I agree with the mentions of steak and bacon.  I certainly appreciate them, especially as I've gotten older, but I don't understand the pedestal they seem to be put on by society.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on September 22, 2022, 08:36:33 PM
I agree with the mentions of steak and bacon.  I certainly appreciate them, especially as I've gotten older, but I don't understand the pedestal they seem to be put on by society.

Sometime over the last decade, there seems to be bacon added onto at least two items on every menu.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2022, 02:20:23 PM
Bacon is overpriced.

Very true. You're paying a lot of money for a lot of fat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.