News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funniest town names in your state

Started by kirbykart, July 21, 2022, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Oh, Missouri...where do I begin? We have:

Peculiar
Tightwad
Clever
Fair Play
Half Way
Braggadocio
Cooter
Koshkonong
Lupus
Novelty
Defiance
Sleeper
Doolittle
Licking
Curryville
Bland
Loose Creek
Frankenstein
Fairdealing
Humansville

Also, we have Louisiana, Nevada, and Oregon - as well as Paris and Mexico - all within Missouri!

hbelkins

Not sure anything in Kentucky tops Monkey's Eyebrow.

Tennessee has a couple of hyphenated possibilities -- Soddy-Daisy and Gruetli-Laager.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kirbykart

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2022, 08:11:44 PM

Tennessee has a couple of hyphenated possibilities -- Soddy-Daisy and Gruetli-Laager.
I actually heard of Soddy-Daisy recently on the HGTV program "The Ugliest House in America".

Flint1979

Quote from: kirbykart on July 22, 2022, 06:53:16 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 22, 2022, 02:59:58 PM
Michigan has Hell, Paradise, Bad Axe, White Pigeon and others that my fellow Michiganians on this forum might come up with.
The only one of these that I've heard of before is Hell; I always thought Kalamazoo was kind of funny though, and that's not an obscure town by any means.
They are all small towns. Paradise is in the U.P. near Whitefish Bay on Lake Superior, Bad Axe is I believe the largest town out of the towns I mentioned, it's in the thumb about 100 miles due north of Detroit and is the seat of Huron County. White Pigeon is a small town near the Indiana border west of Sturgis, it's the junction of US-12 and US-131.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2022, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 22, 2022, 03:02:40 PM
Quote from: XamotCGC on July 21, 2022, 04:31:36 PM
I would say Pewee Valley for Kentucky
My dad actually knew someone that had moved there several years ago that he went to school with. They had moved to Nashville, Tennessee after that but strange that my dad hasn't heard from them in years but as soon as I saw it I was like I know where Pewee Valley is.
I think Kentuckians are a little numb to how simple some of the place names sound.

I mean, just along KY 122 and every holler in Eastern KY has all sorts of places like this:

Hi Hat
Drift
Bypro
"Up Skull" (as in "You go up Skull")
Upper and Lower Burton
Minnie

Etc., etc.
Yeah then in the same region of the state they have a towns called Topmost, Wheelwright, Weeksbury, Kite, Wayland, Soft Shell and several others but I know some of them off the top of my head.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 22, 2022, 08:54:55 PM
My dad actually knew someone that had moved there several years ago that he went to school with. They had moved to Nashville, Tennessee after that but strange that my dad hasn't heard from them in years but as soon as I saw it I was like I know where Pewee Valley is.
I think Kentuckians are a little numb to how simple some of the place names sound.

I mean, just along KY 122 and every holler in Eastern KY has all sorts of places like this:

Hi Hat
Drift
Bypro
Upper and Lower Burton
Minnie

Etc., etc.
Yeah then in the same region of the state they have a towns called Topmost, Wheelwright, Weeksbury, Kite, Wayland, Soft Shell and several others but I know some of them off the top of my head.
Yeah, I thought Wheelwright and Weeksbury were more normal sounding.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2022, 09:06:16 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 22, 2022, 08:54:55 PM

Hi Hat
Drift
Bypro
Upper and Lower Burton
Minnie

Etc., etc.
Yeah, I thought Wheelwright and Weeksbury were more normal sounding.
They sound more normal than the other ones.

ran4sh

Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Dirt Roads

One of my high school teachers grew up in Big Ugly, West Virginia.

LilianaUwU

My answer for Québec is gonna be quite literal: Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Big John

Billy F 1988

Montana has a handful of funny town names:

Amazon (no, not to be confused with the online store or forest of said name)
Atlantic City (wait, did they just steal this from New Jersey? C'mon, Montana!)
Big Warm (the heck is that?)
Blazing Place (that's a new one on me)
Blue Cloud (aren't all clouds blue?)
Cowboys Heaven (guess this is where you go to do the boot-scoot-n-boogey)
Dryhead (why is it one word? What the heck's going on here?!)
Free Deal (wait, what?! What sort of free deals do y'all have?! Can I haz free stuff plox?)
Kremlin (alright, c'mon, Montana. Why do we have a town named after the Russian seat of power?)
Mike Horse (huh? Who the flyin' blue robin is this? I don't know anyone by that name.)
Surprise Creek Colony (I know nothing about such a colony)
Top O'Deep (Never heard of it)
Truly (wait, you mean the drink of said name or...what rambling troubadour came up with that?)
Two Dot (The smallest town in Montana)
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Road Hog

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2022, 08:11:44 PM

I've seen Gruetli-Laager on a map but I thought Soddy Daisy was unhyphenated.

ADD: Upon further review, I see there is indeed a hyphen upon the latter.

Flint1979

Michigan has a city called Zilwaukee. I've mentioned it before. It's a city outside of Saginaw a little more famously known as the home of the Zilwaukee Bridge along I-75. The city was actually named Zilwaukee in an attempt to attract immigrants who thought they were heading for Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The attempt didn't work and today Zilwaukee is just a small town just north of Saginaw.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN, like the bland meatloaf and mashed potatoes state it is, has nothing fun to offer.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wriddle082

Hickman County, Tennessee alone has a lot of funny place names:
Bucksnort
Only
Bon Aqua
Bon Aqua Junction
Littlelot
Aetna
Grinder's Switch

Other notable Tennessee place names:
Hohenwald
Difficult
Defeated
Nameless
Finger (pronounced FIAAAAAN-ger with a heavy Southern accent, according to my dad)
Arp
Hornbeak
Riddleton (which I'm quite fond of)
Quebeck (SIC)
Lascassas
Beersheba Springs
Pall Mall

And most of those aren't even in East Tennessee!

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 23, 2022, 01:54:02 AM
MN, like the bland meatloaf and mashed potatoes state it is, has nothing fun to offer.
Duluth.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on July 23, 2022, 02:35:58 AM
Duluth.

What's funny about Duluth's name? (Other than the people who satirically pronounce it "Dul-OOT" in a mocking Minnesota accent)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ted$8roadFan

Going strictly by town/city name, Massachusetts doesn't have many "funny"  ones IMO since most are old and based in their predecessors in England. Add a Boston/New England accent, and then they can sound funny (Woosta, Meffa, Reveah).....at least to some.

Big John

Brainerd?

kirbykart

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 22, 2022, 10:09:45 PM
Go look at a cloud. Is it blue? No, real clouds, and not just drawings, are white.

webny99

Minnehaha, quite literally.  :biggrin:

Big John

Quote from: webny99 on July 23, 2022, 10:52:14 AM

County in South Dakota.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: kirbykart on July 23, 2022, 08:05:50 AM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 22, 2022, 10:09:45 PM
Go look at a cloud. Is it blue? No, real clouds, and not just drawings, are white.
Eyyyyy now, easy there. Just be lucky today you ain't seeing red clouds!  :D Just a silly thought that wasn't meant to be answered.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

webny99

Quote from: Big John on July 23, 2022, 10:54:56 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 23, 2022, 10:52:14 AM

County in South Dakota.

Also a waterfall and adjacent neighborhood in Minneapolis (not technically a town name, I know...)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.