News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Two of the same business visible from one place

Started by lepidopteran, February 06, 2019, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I think the closest I've seen two Walgreens located to each other was when I was staying in Chicago one summer. I stayed in Lincoln Park and the closeness of the Walgreens located at Halsted and Diversey to the one located in between Clark and Broadway just north of Diversey is less than a quarter mile.

ftballfan

Ludington has two Subways. The Walmart has one while there's a standalone Subway in the strip mall right in front of the Walmart: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9568422,-86.4005759,331m/data=!3m1!1e3

Muskegon has two Wesco stations located within 300 yards of each other along Apple Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.23471,-86.2001298,415m/data=!3m1!1e3

In Kentwood, there are two Starbucks within a half mile of each other. One is inside Target while the other is a standalone: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8474226,-85.6202565,711m/data=!3m1!1e3

East Grand Rapids has a freestanding Starbucks across the street from a D&W grocery store that has, you guessed it, a Starbucks (as a bonus, there's another D&W that ALSO has Starbucks a mile and a half south of this D&W/Starbucks): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9518289,-85.613775,420m/data=!3m1!1e3

Peppino's (a Grand Rapids-area pizza chain) has two locations within a half mile of each other in Allendale. One is takeout and delivery only while the other is a full sports bar: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9733976,-85.9049837,679m/data=!3m1!1e3

Flint1979

You can't see both stores at the same time but in Saginaw there are two BP Express Stop's located within a half mile of each other. It actually works out pretty good because if you're traveling eastbound on State Street (M-58) it'd be easier to hit the one at Mackinaw since State is a one-way street at that point rather than the one at Hemmeter where it's a two-way street and much more difficult to get back going eastbound from the one at Hemmeter. If you're traveling westbound it's easier to hit the one at Hemmeter.

On the left of the image here is the one at Hemmeter which has just BP on Google Maps. The one at Mackinaw is identified as State Street Express Stop. They however are both the same station Express Stop owns all the BP's in Saginaw.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4377287,-84.0010663,1003m/data=!3m1!1e3

abefroman329

Quote from: ftballfan on February 13, 2019, 10:25:06 PM
Ludington has two Subways. The Walmart has one while there's a standalone Subway in the strip mall right in front of the Walmart: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9568422,-86.4005759,331m/data=!3m1!1e3
Subway's entire business model appears to be "sign up as many franchisees as possible and collect our fees, who gives a shit if there are so many that they end up cannibalizing each other."  I believe they've even been sued over this.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 10:53:33 AM
Subway's entire business model appears to be "sign up as many franchisees as possible and collect our fees, who gives a shit if there are so many that they end up cannibalizing each other."  I believe they've even been sued over this.
It seems like their priority is to have as many locations as possible. I don't see that as a good thing.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 14, 2019, 11:03:49 AM
It seems like their priority is to have as many locations as possible. I don't see that as a good thing.

I had a discussion on Facebook last summer about this. In the Midwest at least it seems even the most rural, podunk towns have one (with Dairy Queen the next offender in this regard). Someone speculated that the overhead costs are probably a lot lower than for something like McDonald's, so that probably explains it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

abefroman329

Because Subway makes money by selling franchisee license. The more they sell, the more money they make.  Doesn't matter if the franchisee succeeds or fails, they still make money selling the license.  Picture Henry Hill's "fuck you, pay me" voiceover from GoodFellas.

JMoses24

In the town of Pendleton, KY (not to be confused with Pendleton County which is 50 miles east) on SR 153, there are two Pilot truck stops, one on each side of Interstate 71 exit 28.

The same thing occurs at I-71/75 exit 175, again it's two Pilot locations.

hbelkins

Quote from: JMoses24 on February 14, 2019, 03:52:44 PM
In the town of Pendleton, KY (not to be confused with Pendleton County which is 50 miles east) on SR 153, there are two Pilot truck stops, one on each side of Interstate 71 exit 28.

Didn't one of them used to be something else? Maybe a Flying J that was rebranded as a Pilot?

That's the first chance-last chance for non-RFG on I-71, so prices typically run lower than in Oldham or Jefferson counties, so it gets a lot of business.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

The same thing occurs at I-71/75 exit 175, again it's two Pilot locations.
In Michigan exit 167 on I-94 has two Pilot's. One on the NE side and one is on the SW side of the exit.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2019, 01:39:31 PM

Didn't one of them used to be something else? Maybe a Flying J that was rebranded as a Pilot?

That's the first chance-last chance for non-RFG on I-71, so prices typically run lower than in Oldham or Jefferson counties, so it gets a lot of business.

I think you're correct about the rebrand but I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, Pilot might be a regular example of this phenomenon with my two examples plus the Michigan one.

Flint1979

Quote from: JMoses24 on February 17, 2019, 02:05:31 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2019, 01:39:31 PM

I think you're correct about the rebrand but I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, Pilot might be a regular example of this phenomenon with my two examples plus the Michigan one.
Not at the same exit but rather at another exit 3 miles apart in Monroe, MI on I-75. There is a Pilot at exit 15 and one at exit 18.

I was looking at the locations in Ohio to see if there was an exit in that state like that and I found something rather interesting. There are two Pilot locations about 60 miles apart but the interesting thing is that one is in a city called Austintown and is at exit 223 off I-80 and the other one is in a city called Austinburg and is at exit 223 off I-90. I just thought it was sort of ironic that two towns with somewhat similar names had the same exit number off an Interstate and had a Pilot at both locations many miles apart.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 11:51:56 AM
Because Subway makes money by selling franchisee license. The more they sell, the more money they make.  Doesn't matter if the franchisee succeeds or fails, they still make money selling the license.  Picture Henry Hill's "fuck you, pay me" voiceover from GoodFellas.

And then the franchisees open as many locations as possible.  I live in a town of about 45,000, and we have 6 Subways and used to have 7.  The same franchisee owns 3 of them plus the one that closed in a Walmart directly across the street from a small plaza with another location.  3 are on the same road, 2 are less than a mile either side of I-84.  It's the same deal with Dunkin (Donuts) around here: 8 locations in town (used to be 9 with one inside Stop & Shop), one of which will be replaced with a new concept store next door.  There even used to be two Friendly's in my town within a mile of each other when Friendly's bought out the old Farm Shop chain. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

The reason I can come up with on why there are so many Subway locations (about 26,000 in the United States) is many of Subway's locations are smaller compared to other fast food rivals. It's much less expensive for a franchisee to open a Subway storefront rather than one for McDonald's or Burger King.

1995hoo

Notice the Starbucks straight ahead.

You can't see it from outside, but there is another Starbucks in the grocery store immediately to the left there. There's a third one in the Safeway up the hill at the far end of the shopping center, though the Safeway is not visible from where the Google car was for these photos.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Sctvhound

Here in Charleston, SC we used to have two Starbucks you could see from nearly across the street. The College of Charleston library has one, and there was a freestanding location on Calhoun Street maybe 500 feet away. The freestanding location though closed a couple years ago and is now a "Clean Juice."

hbelkins

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 17, 2019, 12:18:13 PM
The reason I can come up with on why there are so many Subway locations (about 26,000 in the United States) is many of Subway's locations are smaller compared to other fast food rivals. It's much less expensive for a franchisee to open a Subway storefront rather than one for McDonald's or Burger King.

True, and you don't need a lot of cooking equipment. A cooler for the prepackaged meats, a small oven to bake bread, and a microwave to heat up the stuff that needs to be warmed. You can set one up on the corner of just about any standard convenience store.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2019, 03:13:56 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 17, 2019, 12:18:13 PM

True, and you don't need a lot of cooking equipment. A cooler for the prepackaged meats, a small oven to bake bread, and a microwave to heat up the stuff that needs to be warmed. You can set one up on the corner of just about any standard convenience store.
I'm sure that's why a lot of gas stations and truck stops have them.

abefroman329

Today I noticed that the strip mall on the north side of Fullerton between the Metra tracks and the Kennedy has two Starbucks: A freestanding one, and a location in the Jewel.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 17, 2019, 09:23:01 PM
Today I noticed that the strip mall on the north side of Fullerton between the Metra tracks and the Kennedy has two Starbucks: A freestanding one, and a location in the Jewel.
That seems to be pretty common. Around me Kroger added onto to their store and originally was suppose to put a Starbucks in it and another Starbucks was to open about a quarter of a mile away. The stand alone one opened, the one in Kroger didn't.

Nacho

My memory was that the two CVS's near College Mall in Bloomington, Indiana fulfill this condition, but looking at Street View this seems unlikely. Perhaps at night you could identify the sign for one from the other. If I recall the sequence of events correctly the one on 3rd Street was built new, then later the one on College Mall Rd. was converted from an Osco when CVS bought their free-standing stores. The Osco had originally been paired with a Jewel before Jewel abandoned the market some time around 1990. I recall you could still pass through from the supermarket to the Osco for at least some time even after the former took on other brands, but now it's ceased being a supermarket and is now a Goodwill.

tdindy88

Naw, you can see the sign for the fomerly Osco CVS on College Mall Rd from the CVS on 3rd Street. This streetview image is taken from parking lot of the 3rd Street CVS. You can see the CVS sign in the center of the streetview image and the building itself to the right.

https://goo.gl/maps/tVX4FWk25H42

Having spent seven summers out there I had completely forgotten that there were two CVSs in the same place there. The supermarket in question was O'Malia's, an auxiliary of the now defunct Marsh. Also I had always found it curious that there weren't any Walgreens in Bloomington, I also wondered why.

MikeTheActuary

This thread reminds me of some of the news coverage of the Revere, MA tornado a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/VmCQirsl1FA    (Note the eyewitness report at 1:38).

Life in Paradise

Back in the late 80s, when I went to Hawaii, my wife and I noticed that they had ABC Convenience Stores about every half block near Waikiki Beach.  Don't know if that is still the case, but you could easily see three or so from one spot across the street.

lepidopteran

These are the two McD's in Severna Park, MD, on Governor Ritchie Highway (State Route 2).  The second one is marked by those tiny arches off in the distance, just to the lower-left of the nearer ones.

McDonald's in Severna Park, MD - by Mike, on Flickr

A close-up of the other sign -- a rare design in which older, larger arches are mounted atop two poles -- may be found here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.