why is The Illinois 53 extension is going to be a 45mph parkway?

Started by I-90, April 12, 2017, 05:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-90

Il 53 extension is going to be a 45 mph parkway  I'll be traffic clogged during rush hours and during non rush hours Nobody will pay attention to the speed limits

ET21

Just like Lake Shore Drive. People following the 45 mph speed limit?  :-D :-D :-D :pan:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-90

Quote from: ET21 on April 12, 2017, 09:51:21 PM
Just like Lake Shore Drive. People following the 45 mph speed limit?  :-D :-D :-D :pan:
some people do but most go 50-60 mph

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-90 on April 12, 2017, 05:46:18 PM
Il 53 extension is going to be a 45 mph parkway  I'll be traffic clogged during rush hours and during non rush hours Nobody will pay attention to the speed limits
US 12 has higher limits.

Also on the new parts of I-90 you can hit 75-80 in a 55

paulthemapguy

IDOT mandates that 45mph is the highest speed limit allowed on any road with curbs.  This holds even if the road has shoulders on the outside edges of the road but a curbed median.  If the road is robust enough, drivers will discern what they believe is a proper speed anyway.  I get the engineering reasoning behind the mandate, but it's not good enough reasoning imo.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ajlynch91

IL 53 north of Lake Cook isn't happening....at least not for awhile yet. Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods will delay it ad-nausem. Honestly at this point, I don't care one way or another. There are bigger issues especially with IL 120, IL 83 and IL 137 in the Grayslake area being two lane roads that meet at a grade crossing...
If there was some sort of high speed connection from the 53 Expressway to IL 83 or US 12, I don't think the whole expressway would be worth it north of there. Until then, stick to Lake County roads!

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ajlynch91 on April 13, 2017, 01:18:28 AM
IL 53 north of Lake Cook isn't happening....at least not for awhile yet. Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods will delay it ad-nausem. Honestly at this point, I don't care one way or another. There are bigger issues especially with IL 120, IL 83 and IL 137 in the Grayslake area being two lane roads that meet at a grade crossing...
If there was some sort of high speed connection from the 53 Expressway to IL 83 or US 12, I don't think the whole expressway would be worth it north of there. Until then, stick to Lake County roads!

palatine road upgrade?

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 13, 2017, 04:23:32 PM
Quote from: ajlynch91 on April 13, 2017, 01:18:28 AM

palatine road upgrade?

I highly doubt that's happening. There is a major lack of right of way, and IDOT doesn't have the money anyways. I would say, at least improve IL 120 to Grayslake. It would be better than nothing, and the ROW exists there, with probably much less opposition.

skluth

Quote from: I-90 on April 12, 2017, 05:46:18 PM

Can you say speed trap? I knew you could.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.