News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Christmas music on the radio

Started by roadman, November 30, 2018, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: Henry on December 11, 2018, 02:36:01 PMI feel sorry for Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton (whose cover ranks closest to Martin's standard), Michael Buble & Idina Menzel and a few others.
The Welsh pairing of Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews knew what they were getting into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m3JfmExzsQ
I mean, Cerys starts in a cage, gets her drink spiked by Tom and eventually traps Tom in a cage in order to get away...

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on December 11, 2018, 02:36:01 PM
Somewhere out there, Dean Martin is turning in his grave over this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/drinking-smoking-carousing-why-baby-its-cold-outside-is-actually-a-feminist-anthem/ar-BBQNJtp?ocid=spartanntp

In light of the #MeToo movement, it's no wonder the only time you'll get to hear that song played is on Pandora. I feel sorry for Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton (whose cover ranks closest to Martin's standard), Michael Buble & Idina Menzel and a few others.

It seems as good a time as any to share this video...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 05:40:59 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/drinking-smoking-carousing-why-baby-its-cold-outside-is-actually-a-feminist-anthem/ar-BBQNJtp?ocid=spartanntp

In light of the #MeToo movement, it's no wonder the only time you'll get to hear that song played is on Pandora. I feel sorry for Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton (whose cover ranks closest to Martin's standard), Michael Buble & Idina Menzel and a few others.

I just heard a role reversal on Sirius XM.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 05:40:59 PM

I think I'd find JP Sears less irritating if he satirized one side or the other instead of everyone. His thesis appears to be "caring about stuff is stupid."

Also,

US71

abefroman329

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 03:08:34 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 03:06:58 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 11, 2018, 12:08:00 AM
I can't remember the last time I ever saw a group of people go caroling. I kinda thought that was an old-timey tradition that no one does anymore.

Same here, but I miss doing it.  I fully intend to get a group from our church to go caroling for shut-ins and at the nursing homes and hospitals.  We'll see if I remember in time to actually get it going or not.
Just promise me you won't all sing in unison.

*groan*   Oh man, I've thought of that, and I hear ya.  It shouldn't take too much work for me to produce a booklet of Christmas carols with four-part harmony written in.  That doesn't mean people will actually sing harmony, but it sure increases the likelihood.

I'd rather hear a group sing well in unison than sing out of tune in harmony. 

The worst singer I ever knew was a Lutheran pastor - we didn't chant anymore when he came.  Although at least one Methodist comes in close, but maybe he had an excuse because of his hearing loss.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 07:01:46 PM
I think I'd find JP Sears less irritating if he satirized one side or the other instead of everyone. His thesis appears to be "caring about stuff is stupid."

Interestingly, that's kind of why I like him.  If he were super-far to one side, then I probably wouldn't watch his stuff.  But I like how he can poke fun at all sorts.  Hearing someone satirize your own views as well as your antagonists' views is a good thing, I think.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 07:34:26 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 07:01:46 PM
Interestingly, that's kind of why I like him.  If he were super-far to one side, then I probably wouldn't watch his stuff.  But I like how he can poke fun at all sorts.  Hearing someone satirize your own views as well as your antagonists' views is a good thing, I think.

Couldn't agree more, and I will stop now (before I start discussing how avoidance of exposure to viewpoints other than one's own is responsible for increasing polarization in the US).

Also, post #2000.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 07:34:26 PMHearing someone satirize your own views as well as your antagonists' views is a good thing, I think.
Sneering at people for having sincerely-held beliefs is a bad thing, I think.

qguy

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 09:30:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 07:34:26 PMHearing someone satirize your own views as well as your antagonists' views is a good thing, I think.
Sneering at people for having sincerely-held beliefs is a bad thing, I think.

"Sneering at some sincerely-held beliefs is a good thing, I think." --Sally Brown to Linus Van Pelt after the pumpkin patch debacle

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 12:52:58 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2018, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 11, 2018, 11:58:58 AM

However, given that Peart is very openly atheist, and Lee's Jewish, I highly doubt the power trio from Toronto celebrates Christmas at Lakeside Park or anywhere else, for that matter.

Many people celebrate Christmas non-religiously. I'm one of them.
Me too, I have a Jewish father and a Catholic mother and the holiday morphed into a non-religious one after a few years of trying to observe Christmas and Hanukkah religiously.

Also, from what I understand (and I'm sure english si will correct me), Christmas is celebrated non-religiously by most Britons.

Regarding recording artists, Neil Diamond recorded a Christmas album of religious songs some years back. He's Jewish. His comment was along the lines of there being a rich transition of religious music he appreciates.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: english si on December 11, 2018, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 12:52:58 PMAlso, from what I understand (and I'm sure english si will correct me), Christmas is celebrated non-religiously by most Britons.
I think 'most' might be a bit bold, but it's probably around that 50-50 mark.

I'd suggest that Christmas is the time when the 59.5% figure for the Christian population of the UK isn't a total misrepresentation - it's still a bit of an inflation (fed by it being seen as the default, rather than 'none', by older generations), but its not far off if you count a low bar of religious affiliation. But only for a short period at Christmas.

Certainly religious carols often feature regardless of religious views. It's relatively common for there to be a trip to church for a carol service (usually candlelight, unlikely to be in a modern church) to sing them (in my student days, we had to turn people away from the 8:30pm one as we already had a dangerously high number of standees, having mostly filled a 4pm, and fully filled a 5:30pm and 7pm ones before that - I spend one year as an underling fire marshal sat under the tree for three services. The church sat a good few hundred a go, most of the congregation were students and at least 75-80% of them didn't bother with Christian stuff the rest of the year).
I guess what I meant is that, again, from what I've read and observed in British entertainment, there's less "Jesus is the reason for the season" hooey and more "let's exchange gifts and spend time with family," which is why Christmas has managed to persist in a population that's at least 40% non-Christian.

jeffandnicole

Someone started a petition about the Christmas decorations in front of the Holland Tunnel sign. 

But this time, it's not a religious issue.  It's an OCD issue...

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/12/holland-tunnel-decorations-are-a-giant-pain-in-the-a-for-this-man-so-he-launched-a-crusade-to-fix-christmas-for-commuters.html

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2018, 09:14:23 AM
Someone started a petition about the Christmas decorations in front of the Holland Tunnel sign. 

But this time, it's not a religious issue.  It's an OCD issue...

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/12/holland-tunnel-decorations-are-a-giant-pain-in-the-a-for-this-man-so-he-launched-a-crusade-to-fix-christmas-for-commuters.html
My wife would hate the fact that the decorations are asymmetrical.

She may have passed that on to our son, who cries when he has one arm in his onesie and one outside of his onesie, but stops crying when both arms are in the onesie.

roadman

So, after a couple of weeks of managing to mostly ignore the Christmas music coming from the opposite side of my cubicle wall, I've decided that this year's winner for most obnoxious Christmas song is Snoopy's Christmas.  For one thing, I don't recall the song having gotten nearly as much airplay in years past.  And, at least on the local station, it's gotten more airplay than that other "classic" obnoxious Christmas song, Grandma got hit by a Mack Truck run over by a Reindeer.

Of course, I've always been a huge Peanuts fan, and one of my favorite novelty songs is Snoopy vs the Red Baron.  So perhaps my bias is showing.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

I've never even heard of Snoopy's Christmas.  It must be pretty obnoxious to top that list, though.

Tonytone

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 12, 2018, 12:04:34 PM
I've never even heard of Snoopy's Christmas.  It must be pretty obnoxious to top that list, though.
Don't ever disrespect the peanuts!!! All classics with good stories. charles would be rolling in his grave, if he heard you say that.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 12, 2018, 09:05:37 AMI guess what I meant is that, again, from what I've read and observed in British entertainment, there's less "Jesus is the reason for the season" hooey and more "let's exchange gifts and spend time with family,"
From what I've seen in US media, you have a lot of the latter and not much of the former.

We don't, however, have the same culture warring as the US. We're not even getting the anti-'Winterval' rants in red-top papers anymore - they used to be frequent, then one or two articles per year per paper, and now practically nothing.
Quotewhy Christmas has managed to persist in a population that's at least 40% non-Christian.
America is at least 40% non-Christian too, just that a big chunk haven't twigged that they are non-Christian (and I'm using Christian in the broadest possible sense here). Partially as their self-help gurus they see every Sunday occasionally mention Jesus and there's a cultural assumption that that's Christian. We over here wouldn't see it that way, most of the time, but see them as secular clubs.

US71

abefroman329

Quote from: english si on December 12, 2018, 01:05:15 PMWe don't, however, have the same culture warring as the US.
That's what I was trying to say, thank you.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Tonytone on December 12, 2018, 12:13:59 PM
Don't ever disrespect the peanuts!!! All classics with good stories. charles would be rolling in his grave, if he heard you say that.

iPhone

C'mon, give him a break...

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aznAq5a5aP4

Wham's Last Christmas is playing a lot on the radio. But when George Michael did Last Christmas the song was supposed to be about love though. But on the day George Michael died the song lyrics got viewed with a sad meaning though about mourning him.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7633394/wham-last-christmas-first-hot-100-appearance

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7633292/george-michael-dead

Scott5114

Quote from: Tonytone on December 12, 2018, 12:13:59 PM

iPhone

Peanuts was good for its time but the fact that it's still being rerun on comics pages keeps another currently-produced strip from getting the exposure they need. There's only so much room on the comics page.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

Quote from: english si on December 12, 2018, 01:05:15 PMWe don't, however, have the same culture warring as the US.
I've just seen, on reddit, a post where an American visitor to the UK was outraged that the hijab-wearing Muslim clerk in a shop wished him a Merry Christmas, rather than Happy Holidays - feeling that the evil Christians had forced her to say that. The Brits have been out in force to tell him what a bigot he is towards UK Christians, Muslims, and generally all British people - because we see him as fighting a war that just doesn't exist here (just as we do the same with those complaining that they've taken Christ out of Christmas).

We Brits do have Season's Greetings as an option. Which is non-descript, but implies one thing "the season" rather than lots of different things 'holidays' that you don't want to treat as individual things out of viewing referencing the specific holidays as offensive. The shops and councils and politicians will usually offer salutations around any relevant (you don't bother if you are unlikely to see people celebrating it) holiday for that specific holiday rather a generic greeting that suits no one.

The British problem with Winterval (Birmingham City Council's branding for various secular and religious events during Fall and Winter 97-98 and 98-99) was that it was a branding fail - imagine Halloween and Chinese New Year and everything in between (which included Diwali, Ramadan, Hanukkah, Guy Fawkes Night, Advent, Christmas, Western New Year, etc) between as being part of the same 'Winter festival', diluting every one of a dozen or so separate celebrations (the issue wasn't that they took the 'Christ out of Christmas' but made it seem as if they had, and the same sort of thing with other holidays).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.