Song by a great artist but was definitely something that sucked

Started by roadman65, July 09, 2019, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 10, 2019, 12:49:38 PM
Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands but I think Don't Stop is an awful song.

I never used to think Don't Stop was that bad.  Until a certain political figure decided to make it the theme song of their campaign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ftballfan

Quote from: roadman on July 12, 2019, 04:57:26 PM
Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands but I think Don't Stop is an awful song.

I never used to think Don't Stop was that bad.  Until a certain political figure decided to make it the theme song of their campaign.

However, his election led to the Rumours-era lineup of Fleetwood Mac to reunite for one night in 1993, four years before their full reunion tour in 1997-98

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on July 12, 2019, 02:25:38 PM
Sing us a song, you're the piano...guy? :D

And they sit at the bar
and put bread in my jar
and say, "Guy, what are you doin' here?"

ce929wax

1995hoo

I listen to Springsteen all the time, but the song "Queen of the Supermarket"  is one of the worst signs I've ever heard by any artist. Starship's "We Built This City"  is a far better song than "Queen of the Supermarket."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

golden eagle

I love Def Leppard, but "Love Bites"  is not my cup of tea.

A couple of Bon Jovi songs also fall into this category: "Wanted Dead Or Alive"  and "I'll Be There For You" .

sparker

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 12, 2019, 02:24:23 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 12, 2019, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 12, 2019, 10:43:48 AM
Quote from: Henry on July 12, 2019, 09:45:50 AM
Billy Joel's River of Dreams is definitely one of them.
No different than NY State of Mind.

Or Tales from an Italian Restaurant

Or Piano Guy.

Or We Didn't Start the Fire!  As Michael Palin once said: .....what a stupid concept!

roadman65

Quote from: ftballfan on July 12, 2019, 05:39:46 PM

However, his election led to the Rumours-era lineup of Fleetwood Mac to reunite for one night in 1993, four years before their full reunion tour in 1997-98
I am surprised no one says that Tusk is a song that sucks.   I would think those who hate Don't Stop would hate that one first as it's mostly instrumental with only the repetitive lines "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" to be sung by all five members.

I personally have no issue with either song, but being that Tusk is not the usual form of Fleetwood Mac song, I thought it is strange no one brought that track up.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: roadman65 on July 15, 2019, 11:45:00 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on July 12, 2019, 05:39:46 PM

I am surprised no one says that Tusk is a song that sucks.   I would think those who hate Don't Stop would hate that one first as it's mostly instrumental with only the repetitive lines "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" to be sung by all five members.

I personally have no issue with either song, but being that Tusk is not the usual form of Fleetwood Mac song, I thought it is strange no one brought that track up.

Tusk is actually my favorite FM song--very heavy with the drums and bass, and a very serious song.  Don't Stop has little originality either in instrumentation or lyrics.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Dan Hartman with Instant Replay!
He done well as frontman on Edgar Winter's Free Ride and on his own with I Can Dream About You, but tampering in Disco was I guess a shocker.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

It's actually Scenes from an Italian Restaurant  Was that meant to go along with Piano Guy? 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

formulanone

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 15, 2019, 02:53:16 PM

It's actually Scenes from an Italian Restaurant  Was that meant to go along with Piano Guy? 

It's on the Plexiglass Houses album.

jp the roadgeek

I always thought 52nd Avenue was his best album.  But I have to go with Ellentown as his best song.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 15, 2019, 05:09:09 PM
I always thought 52nd Avenue was his best album.  But I have to go with Ellentown as his best song.

Both good choices, but I'll never budge from Darkness at the Edge of Town and "Born to Run". Billy Joel at his best!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Big Shoot and Dishonesty are two great songs of Billy Jo. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: kurumi on July 15, 2019, 08:51:49 PM

Both good choices, but I'll never budge from Darkness at the Edge of Town and "Born to Run". Billy Joel at his best!

I actually have a recording of Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel performing "Born to Run" together at Madison Square Garden.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

inkyatari

People dog on Susudio by Phil Collins, but I like that song.  It's a fun piece of fluff.

Dance Into the Light, however... *shudders*
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman65

Hold On My Heart from Genesis kind of sounds lame. I think it's it's a failed recreation of In Too Deep.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

How about The Downeaster Siri?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on July 09, 2019, 09:48:46 PM
Stand - REM (even worse than Shiny Happy People)

I could go either way with 'Stand', but that's kind of how I feel about the whole album.  Most REM songs from the IRS years sound a lot alike; if I had to pick one to be the worst, I'd go with 'Exhuming McCarthy' but they're all halfway decent.  My opinion is that everything since the album 'Around the Sun' (not inclusive) has been crap.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 11, 2019, 08:09:41 PM
Beatles: Why Don't We Do It In The Road

I'm curious to know what other people's opinion is on the worst Beatles song.  It's my sister's theory that there are two deeply entrenched camps when it comes to Beatles fans:  those who love the older stuff and think the newer stuff is utter crap, and those who tire of the older stuff and think the newer stuff is the peak of their music.

My worst pick from the white album would be 'Honey Pie'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I'm not a Beatles fan, so any of their stuff would go under my "worst of..." collection.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.