News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

July 25, 1956

Started by roadman, July 25, 2019, 10:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

On July 25th, 1956, at just after 11:00 pm local time, the ocean liners Andrea Doria and Stockholm  collided off of Nantucket, Massachusetts, resulting in the death of 26 people.  The Stockholm suffered damage to her bow, but was still operational.  The Doria immediately took on a severe list, and sank about 11 hours after the collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIgBR3C2nsc
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

tolbs17

None of us were born yet that time so, I don't remember what that was. Looks like an old TV show.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 10:15:45 PM
None of us were born yet that time so, I don't remember what that was. Looks like an old TV show.

No need to post then if you don't have anything constructive to add man.  You've been going a tad crazy on the posts in the last 36h.  If you're just posting to up your post count, please stop. We appreciate posts with substance, not posts just quickly made to up the count.

sprjus4

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 28, 2019, 11:12:12 PM

No need to post then if you don't have anything constructive to add man.  You've been going a tad crazy on the posts in the last 36h.  If you're just posting to up your post count, please stop. We appreciate posts with substance, not posts just quickly made to up the count.
Are we not going to address NE2's comment? That's certainly not "constructive", but it appears there's no issues with that. I'd call mrhappy's post more constructive then that.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2019, 11:13:31 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 28, 2019, 11:12:12 PM

Are we not going to address NE2's comment? That's certainly not "constructive", but it appears there's no issues with that. I'd call mrhappy's post more constructive then that.
But he's not posting over 140 posts in less than 36h.  So, he gets a little bit of leeway in that aspect.

sprjus4

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 28, 2019, 11:17:26 PM
So, he gets a little bit of leeway in that aspect.
You should take a look at his post log. A good number of his posts are not constructive. I'd be willing to bet if you were to take out all of his non-constructive posts, his post count wouldn't be as high.

tolbs17

Just so you know guys, I'm out of town and have nothing to do, so I've been on AAroads and not really have been doing much at all. Once I get home from my trip, I probably wouldn't be posting as much and probably will be a little less active. I'm also on an old computer.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2019, 11:21:30 PM
You should take a look at his post log. A good number of his posts are not constructive. I'd be willing to bet if you were to take out all of his non-constructive posts, his post count wouldn't be as high.

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 10:18:42 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 27, 2019, 09:54:43 PM
poop

?? What does that mean?

Posts like this.

NE2

Poop is always constructive.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on July 31, 2019, 09:16:03 PM
So is going to the OBGYN and getting your estrogen increased!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So when do we get to talk about October 23, 1956?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

tolbs17

Yeah. I'm guessing you mean this thread is trash.

roadman65

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 31, 2019, 11:11:23 PM

This guy, before a certain MOD deletes or edits this, has some issues and has at least a warped sense of humor, but he loves to troll the forum and most likely picks on those who have Autism or Aspergers and pick arguments with cause he knows he can inflate his ego.  Do not pay him any mind.  Listen to the MODs and you will be fine.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2019, 11:20:16 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 31, 2019, 11:11:23 PM

No I think he wants you to think about what you post, meaning the moderator.  This guy, before a certain MOD deletes or edits this, has some issues and has at least a warped sense of humor, but he loves to troll the forum and most likely picks on those who have Autism or Aspergers and pick arguments with cause he knows he can inflate his ego.  Do not pay him any mind.  Listen to the MODs and you will be fine.

Alright I will listen. Rick was telling me to stop quickly posting because he probably knows that i'm trying to rush my post count.

roadman65

Yeah, I got nervous at first and was trying too hard.  Do not sweat it and have any questions PM the Moderators and many of them are good and will help you if you need it.  We are a friendly bunch despite some on here may seem mean and all.  The truth is many are harmless and you have to get to know them to figure them out. 

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2019, 11:39:36 PM
Yeah, I got nervous at first and was trying too hard.  Do not sweat it and have any questions PM the Moderators and many of them are good and will help you if you need it.  We are a friendly bunch despite some on here may seem mean and all.  The truth is many are harmless and you have to get to know them to figure them out.

Yeah. I don't always get a reply though when I send them a message. Even when it's a question.

roadman65

Many are busy too as some have lives that are away from this forum.  Just be patient. 

Also let us not derail this thread as too much back and forth can make you lose focus.  Me especially cause I have ADHD so I get that way as well as forget to complete sentences and drift many times.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 28, 2019, 11:21:30 PM

I agree, NE2 has some real postarrhea problems at times, and his issues go back to Usenet days.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

roadman65

He is good with roads.   He knows a lot and he can point out stuff that we all do not know about, and even knows the MUTCD inside and out from cover to cover.  Just at times he gets cocky and makes some remarks and is obsessed with spelling errors hence his nickname the spelling Nazi.

I have empathy for mental illness people, but when a person picks on others and gets out of hand, it gets ridiculous, and NE2 at times gets that way.

Sheryl Crowe

tolbs17

I know a lot about roads also, I know how to make interchange and road concepts, I don't really know how to make good ones though.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 31, 2019, 11:42:42 PM

Yeah. I don't always get a reply though when I send them a message. Even when it's a question.

We have real lives too. lol.  Not all of us can be on all the time.  There will be gaps in online time if we're out of town, sick, & enjoying our lives outside of the forums.

I mostly just make sure the forum is running fine as an Admin.  Thus, I try to leave the modding to the others unless it's either a spam bot that got in (and posted something bad), or a big fight breaks out and I'm just the unlucky sap that's the only one online. lol.  So, if you see me posting in "purple" (the Admin comment color), you need to take it to heart.  I don't want to use it if I don't have to. :nod:

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 01, 2019, 04:39:02 AM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 31, 2019, 11:42:42 PM

We have real lives too. lol.  Not all of us can be on all the time.  There will be gaps in online time if we're out of town, sick, & enjoying our lives outside of the forums.

I mostly just make sure the forum is running fine as an Admin.  Thus, I try to leave the modding to the others unless it's either a spam bot that got in (and posted something bad), or a big fight breaks out and I'm just the unlucky sap that's the only one online. lol.  So, if you see me posting in "purple" (the Admin comment color), you need to take it to heart.  I don't want to use it if I don't have to. :nod:

Alright. I will take it to heart.

nexus73

Quote from: roadman on July 25, 2019, 10:07:46 PM
On July 25th, 1956, at just after 11:00 pm local time, the ocean liners Andrea Doria and Stockholm  collided off of Nantucket, Massachusetts, resulting in the death of 26 people.  The Stockholm suffered damage to her bow, but was still operational.  The Doria immediately took on a severe list, and sank about 11 hours after the collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIgBR3C2nsc

Speaking of sinking Italian ships, the Regia Marina was the only navy in WW2 to lose battleships to both sides.  The Brits got their shots in at Taranto to start the parade, which ended when the Germans used the first precision guided weapon of the war, a glider bomb guided in by a joystick with a camera in the bomb so the operator could view the approach, to sink the battleship Roma.  That ship was sailing to the Allies after Italy surrendered in 1943.

Sometimes you just cannot win...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.