News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Undereating

Started by Roadgeekteen, August 05, 2019, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the longest you have ever went without food?

less than 6 hours
0 (0%)
6-12 hours
2 (12.5%)
12-18 hours
4 (25%)
18-24 hours
1 (6.3%)
1 day
2 (12.5%)
2 days
3 (18.8%)
3 days
0 (0%)
4 days
1 (6.3%)
5 days
0 (0%)
6 days
0 (0%)
7 or more days
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Roadgeekteen

What's the longest you have gone without food?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

corco

Probably about 30 hours

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Max Rockatansky

3 days after a car accident. 

tolbs17

About 2 days but that was back in 2010. We were scarce and my parents were not home with me that time. I was by myself. It was sad. I was only 8 years old.

index

Two days, part of the prep for an endoscopy.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Where's the poll?

I want to vote.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2019, 09:31:31 PM
Where's the poll?
I want to vote.

How would you recommend we break down the options!?

Beltway

It is called a total fast.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

Would religious fasting count? I don't think it should, since it's not really "underating" for the purposes of undereating.

I don't typically eat much, although I can if I want to! While trying to lose some weight a couple years ago, during a particularly light week, I went an entire day without eating. Just never got around to it. Helped that I was at work for much of the day... by the time I was off, I was too tired to eat. Would have been about 42 hours? (evening day 1 to lunch day 3).

kphoger

I abstain from voting due to poor grammar.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on August 06, 2019, 12:25:29 AM
Would religious fasting count? I don't think it should, since it's not really "underating" for the purposes of undereating.

Meh, I think religious fasting should count.  After all, you're still eating less than typical, and you do so on purpose.
Male pronouns, please.

Beltway

That is the type I was referring to.  A "total fast" means water only.

Some people have gone as long as 40 days.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Two days one year when I was in college–I decided to take the Paschal Fast literally from Holy Thursday afternoon to after the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday. Didn't eat anything (unless you count receiving Communion at Thursday night Mass and the Good Friday Liturgy....I wouldn't count that), but I did drink water. Of course, being a college student at the time, the first thing I ate when I broke the fast was pizza. It wasn't long before I adjourned to the Reading Room with a magazine as my digestive system took its revenge.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

qguy

Went without food for four days while on Air Force survival training. People have gone for longer, of course, but the idea was to learn how long you can push your body to go without food and still perform if circumstances force you to.

To this day I want to gag when I hear someone say they're feeling weak when a meal is late and I know they're just a whiner. (Barring a medical condition naturally.)

After four days we were allowed to kill our own food.

The first thing a few of us ate on our return were the largest steaks we could get.

Beltway

Don't break the fast too quickly ... for the first day, things like soup, small amounts of crackers, milk, etc. 

Otherwise there may soon be a bad case of diarrhea!

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2019, 02:11:53 PM

Meh, I think religious fasting should count.  After all, you're still eating less than typical, and you do so on purpose.

True. Just seems kind of boring if a bunch of people popped in, said a ridiculous length of time, and then "oh yeah, religious fasting". More interesting to me, would be why some people would choose not to eat, even if they were allowed to.

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on August 06, 2019, 11:24:42 PM
Don't break the fast too quickly ... for the first day, things like soup, small amounts of crackers, milk, etc. 

Otherwise there may soon be a bad case of diarrhea!

Heh, that's a more blunt version of what I said!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sparker

About 20 hours several years back in prep for a combo upper/lower GI exam.  Not the most pleasant experience I've ever had (especially the lower!).  After the exam, hit the local In-N-Out almost immediately! 

hbelkins

I don't fast for religious reasons.

Probably two days for me on this question, due either to physical illness or being very upset over something. I lost a bunch of weight way back in the early 90s over a pretty traumatic relationship breakup.

None of you here have seen me since the Breezewood meet last fall, and most of you who I know personally haven't seen me in a lot longer than that. I've dropped a bunch of weight. At one time I was around 325, but had gradually lost 50 pounds from my maximum weight over the span of a few years. My A1C levels weren't what the doctor wanted them to be back in February, so she put me on Ozempic. It totally zapped my appetite. I lost 34 pounds from late February/early March until June. I haven't been on a scale since then, but I think my weight loss has leveled off since then. I do know my clothes are hanging off me, and everyone who sees me if they haven't seen me for several months is amazed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2019, 09:31:38 PM
None of you here have seen me since the Breezewood meet last fall, and most of you who I know personally haven't seen me in a lot longer than that. I've dropped a bunch of weight. At one time I was around 325, but had gradually lost 50 pounds from my maximum weight over the span of a few years. My A1C levels weren't what the doctor wanted them to be back in February, so she put me on Ozempic. It totally zapped my appetite. I lost 34 pounds from late February/early March until June. I haven't been on a scale since then, but I think my weight loss has leveled off since then. I do know my clothes are hanging off me, and everyone who sees me if they haven't seen me for several months is amazed.

That's really great to hear, HB. Weight loss is (apparently) harder to achieve as you get older; my 80-year-old grandfather can attest to that. Despite walking around 4-6 miles every day, keeping the weight off continues to be a challenge. He's had to reduce how much he eats to see any loss at all (and we still eat relatively healthy). Perhaps you have had the assistance of a drug, but the loss is still a loss. I know I could stand to lose about 30 pounds! I've lost about 12 over the last year (doing nothing except dropping pop), but need to speed things up, in the event I lose motivation.

adventurernumber1

After gaining around 50 pounds in one year a few years back due to increased eating as a result of depression (weight gain primarily from Summer 2014 to Summer 2015), which then made me slightly overweight, a year later in Summer 2016, I started having acid reflux, which is what made me lose all the weight I gained and more. As touched on in the related "Overeating"  thread, these days I usually eat one or two meals per day. That has been the status quo since I started having heartburn. Before that, I actually followed a typical having three meals a day usually. I've always eaten big meals, but heartburn has made it nearly impossible to eat more than two meals in a single day these days (save for rare exceptions, almost exclusively on days where I am awake for a full nearly 24 hours). My meal sizes are the same as a few years ago, but the amount I eat (and the number of meals) in a day is lower, due to acid reflux infringing on my appetite to be able to eat as much as I used to. I had lost a total of around 65 pounds since I got (and exclusively because of) acid reflux. That was the only way I would have lost that weight, and that quickly, because I'm not really one to diet (even when I had become overweight) or be quick to change eating & exercise habits, get on a weight loss thing, etc. However, that came with a cost. In addition to the pain brought on by heartburn, my weight had dropped so low that I actually became almost 10 pounds underweight (this was about a year ago), and for a while I had a really hard time getting my weight back up into an optimally healthy range. I am now over 15 pounds heavier and back into the lower realm of the healthy weight range, so I feel comfortable where I'm at now (weight-wise).

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

In_Correct

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 05, 2019, 06:18:23 PM

That would be about 7 days, hospitalized, food allergies, and I do not like to eat very much. I do not like the various things they add to food and also I do not want food damaging my teeth. I avoid sugar and I avoid any thing that is crunchy such as popcorn and jerky.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

tolbs17

Quote from: In_Correct on August 14, 2019, 12:40:07 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 05, 2019, 06:18:23 PM

That would be about 7 days, hospitalized, food allergies, and I do not like to eat very much. I do not like the various things they add to food and also I do not want food damaging my teeth. I avoid sugar and I avoid any thing that is crunchy such as popcorn and jerky.

Yeah, I hate popcorn because the kernels get stuck in my teeth. I used to enjoy eating it and i eventually stopped. I mean it's not like i don't eat it at all, just not as much as i used to.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.