News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Which do you prefer? Dogs or cats?

Started by tolbs17, January 19, 2022, 10:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which animal do you prefer?

Dog
11 (37.9%)
Cat
18 (62.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

kkt

Quote from: Big John on January 20, 2022, 10:29:16 AM
Quote from: GaryV on January 20, 2022, 07:16:43 AM
Depends on what color eyes they have.

blue and brown?

What a sweet dog!  Border collies are great, they'd probably run the place if it wasn't for the opposable thumbs thing.

If I can give them back to their owner when I'm done, I prefer dogs.  If I'm going to be taking care of them, cats.

snowc

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 20, 2022, 07:39:41 AM
Our cat says "hello." We adopted her the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Her previous owner had to enter memory-assisted living and couldn't keep her. (Regarding dogs, I don't necessarily mind smaller dogs, like a Pomeranian, but I'm uncomfortable around big dogs. I also prefer that a cat uses a litter box and doesn't have to be taken out for a walk on a rainy morning.)

awwww. 😻😻😻

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on January 20, 2022, 07:09:45 PM
What a sweet dog!  Border collies are great, they'd probably run the place if it wasn't for the opposable thumbs thing.

My wife had a border collie when we first got together. I have never met a dog like him and probably never will again. He had a presence to him that no other animal I've ever met has ever had; you could tell that he had a mind far more advanced than most dogs. He was able to understand complex English sentences and could even spell (we had to resort to the phonetic alphabet when he figured out what W-A-L-K meant). I was actually more nervous meeting Copper than I was meeting Renee's family because I knew his opinion of me carried far more weight with her.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 20, 2022, 12:41:15 PM
I like both equally.  Cats are far easier to take care of.  Dogs are obviously more affectionate and trainable.

I'm learning with my current pair of cats that they can be just as affectionate as dogs, they just show it in ways that are harder for humans to naturally pick up on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2022, 02:15:01 PM
One by one, they all went to the rainbow bridge.
Niagara Falls, Ontario?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DTComposer

Both, but prefer dogs. We've had as many as two dogs and four cats at one time. Currently just two dogs.

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on January 20, 2022, 09:25:43 AM
And it's been proven cats relieve stress / anxiety and depression more than dogs do anyway.

Do you have a source for that? Everything I've found says they're about equal with a slight preference towards dogs.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MinecraftNinja

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 20, 2022, 07:31:51 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 20, 2022, 07:09:45 PM

My wife had a border collie when we first got together. I have never met a dog like him and probably never will again. He had a presence to him that no other animal I've ever met has ever had; you could tell that he had a mind far more advanced than most dogs. He was able to understand complex English sentences and could even spell (we had to resort to the phonetic alphabet when he figured out what W-A-L-K meant). I was actually more nervous meeting Copper than I was meeting Renee's family because I knew his opinion of me carried far more weight with her.

My ex-wife has had three.  Terrific dogs, though the smarts can be annoying at times as they can get into things you didn't want them to, or past gates that you hoped would keep them in.  I've seen them trained for sheep herding, and able to go get one specific sheep that the shepherd asked for out of the herd and bring it.  It's amazing.  One trained border collie is worth two human assistant shepherds.

wxfree

I love dogs.  Dogs are loyal and obedient.  I believe that dogs are the closest thing to pure good that we have on this planet.  But I prefer cats.  Cats love you, but they are arbitrary and capricious, they can change in an instant, and they don't give a rat's ass how you feel about them.  They actually do care about that, but the most offensive thing in the world is for you to know it.  Cats are more like me.  Here's mine.

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

1995hoo

Quote from: wxfree on January 21, 2022, 01:28:29 AM
I love dogs.  Dogs are loyal and obedient.  I believe that dogs are the closest thing to pure good that we have on this planet.  But I prefer cats.  Cats love you, but they are arbitrary and capricious, they can change in an instant, and they don't give a rat's ass how you feel about them.  They actually do care about that, but the most offensive thing in the world is for you to know it.  Cats are more like me.  Here's mine.

God created man in His own image, and it was good.

Later, God noticed man was lonely, so he created woman.

When it became clear that woman was the dominant sex, God created dogs, who loved and obeyed man unconditionally. It was good.

After a time, God noticed that man was becoming too impressed with himself and decided man needed some re-education, so God created cats.

Man was happy, woman was happy, dog was happy, and cat, of course, didn't give a rat's arse one way or the other.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 20, 2022, 07:31:51 PM
I'm learning with my current pair of cats that they can be just as affectionate as dogs, they just show it in ways that are harder for humans to naturally pick up on.

This x1000.  Between the cat I grew up with (and still lives with my parents) compared to the 2 cats I have now, I've seen both extremes in how cats show their affection.

My parent's cat: We adopted her from a shelter, and we were told her backstory involved some stints in foster care along with being the runt of her litter and the last of her litter to be adopted (even the mother was adopted first).  She's always been extremely scared of every human on the planet with 4 exceptions: My parents, my brother, & myself.  That said, she tended to show her affection in how she went about her daily routine: Every morning my father needed to feed her and clean her litter box while she closely "supervised", then in the evenings my mother needed to sit in a certain chair so the cat could curl up on the accompanying ottoman.

Fast forward to the 2 cats I have now, who are the 2 most openly affectionate cats I've ever met and are pretty much dog-like in personality.  One of them (who we're convinced has some Maine Coon blood in him) sleeps on my pillow every single night and is even leash-trained, while the other enjoys playing fetch with some toy mice - it was super easy to train him, he made the connection instantly that if he brought the toy mouse back to me, I'd throw it again! He even contributes with some part-time exterminating - several months back we had a yellow-jacket problem due to a hive just outside our balcony, and every single one that made it inside (already weakened, I should note) was swatted down within 5 minutes.

Other cat owners have probably noticed this well, but all 3 of those cats never like when we go away.  They know what it means as soon as the suitcases come out and become visibly upset while we're packing, and then once we return we tend to get "chewed out" for being away so long.

All that said, I do like dogs as well and we've debated getting a dog in the future if/when we've moved somewhere that has more space.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Brandon

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 20, 2022, 03:53:23 PM
Cats. I don't like dogs.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of dogs at all.  However, if you openly say so, you get treated like some kind of weirdo by dog people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

An observation I've found odd is that most people I know in my personal life own dogs but most road people I know own cats.  It makes me wonder if that's a personality trait ingrained the road community which leads to cats being the preferred pet.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2022, 10:56:18 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 20, 2022, 03:53:23 PM
Cats. I don't like dogs.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of dogs at all.  However, if you openly say so, you get treated like some kind of weirdo by dog people.

What I intensely dislike is when a person is walking a big dog and the dog jumps at you when you're passing by, tries to sniff your crotch, etc., and when it's clear you don't like it the dog owner fails to control the dog and instead says, "Oh, it's OK, he's friendly." It is most certainly NOT OK. Something tells me if I saw a woman with nice tits going the other way, it wouldn't go over so well if I fondled her tits and then said, "Oh, it's OK, I'm friendly." I understand the dog is doing what comes naturally to a dog, but the owner has a responsibility to control the dog and to understand that not everyone else likes being jumped on by big dogs.

None of that applies if you're visiting a dog owner's house, of course. While I'm still uncomfortable around big dogs, I recognize that if I visit someone's house I'm entering the dog's territory and I have to put up with it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 23, 2022, 08:24:57 AM
What I intensely dislike is when a person is walking a big dog and the dog jumps at you when you're passing by, tries to sniff your crotch, etc., and when it's clear you don't like it the dog owner fails to control the dog and instead says, "Oh, it's OK, he's friendly." It is most certainly NOT OK.

Well, you must have done something to upset him! He just likes to play! He's a little territorial, that's all (territory => anything the dog can see, hear, or smell, wherever it happens to be) /s
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JKRhodes

My cats are relatively low maintenance, and can be very sweet when they want to be. At this point in my life I'm spread thin enough between work, my kid, and my wife. There's no way I could give a dog the constant attention it needs. So cats it is!

hbelkins

Quote from: JKRhodes on January 23, 2022, 12:52:45 PM
My cats are relatively low maintenance, and can be very sweet when they want to be. At this point in my life I'm spread thin enough between work, my kid, and my wife. There's no way I could give a dog the constant attention it needs. So cats it is!

If by attention you mean "Here I am! Notice me! Pet me! Love me!" then I've found cats to be more needy than dogs. My wife and I can hardly sit down without one of the felines wanting to jump up in our laps and demand affection. Our dogs didn't need that level of attention, they seemed perfectly well-adjusted without too much human interaction, until it came time to pee or poop, then we had to go outside. In that regard (maintenance) I will agree that dogs need a lot more attention than cats. Kitties are pretty much self-sufficient.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JKRhodes

Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2022, 05:00:08 PM
Quote from: JKRhodes on January 23, 2022, 12:52:45 PM

If by attention you mean "Here I am! Notice me! Pet me! Love me!" then I've found cats to be more needy than dogs. My wife and I can hardly sit down without one of the felines wanting to jump up in our laps and demand affection. Our dogs didn't need that level of attention, they seemed perfectly well-adjusted without too much human interaction, until it came time to pee or poop, then we had to go outside. In that regard (maintenance) I will agree that dogs need a lot more attention than cats. Kitties are pretty much self-sufficient.

Both of our cats are pretty self sufficient on the attention front. My queen was born to a feral mom in my friend's yard and as far as I know was the only survivor from her family. I took her in at around five weeks and nursed her back to health with kitten formula and wet food. She spends most of her days hiding, though my wife has bonded with her some. She'll seek attention from me when she goes into heat and at seemingly random times.

Our Tom  (orange tabby) was born under similar circumstances, although the home we got him from took his family in, fed them and interacted with them until each kitten could be re-homed.  We were able to vet him as the only kitten of the litter who didn't try to hiss or show aggression towards us. He's significantly less afraid of us, and more than happy to get his skritches and belly rubs... but at the same time he's not overly needy either.

Took several months but they both took quite well to the litter box and haven't pooped in the house for over a year.

InterstateFan621

I am a cat person.  I have two cats. One is a very fluffy Norwegian Forest Cat and another is a mix of different breeds. I always loved cats!
Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long.
(From the song "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane)
Get your kicks on Route 66!

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194860463@N06/albums/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.