News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridges you've walked across

Started by kurumi, June 03, 2010, 12:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappicard

1. Royal Gorge (southwest of Canon City, Colorado)
2. The suspension bridge in the Kansas City Zoo
3. Not really a bridge per se, but Bartle Hall over I-670 in KCMO

Pengwn

Most notable bridges that I've crossed, it's been by car or bus, but I have pounded pavement on a small number of 'em:

Burrard and Granville Street Bridges, Vancouver BC
Okanagan Lake (floating) Bridge, Kelowna BC (the first one, that is, some 20 years ago. Haven't trod the Bennett yet)
Esplanade Riel footbridge, Winnipeg MB
Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls
Alexandra Bridge, Ottawa ON-Hull QC
Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
Liberty footbridge in Reedy River Park, Greenville SC
Roebling Suspension Bridge, Cincinnati-Newport
Fort Duquesne and Roberto Clemente (6th St.) Bridges, Pittsburgh
10th Street Bridge and tunnel, Pittsburgh
Brooklyn Bridge, New York
Harvard Bridge, Boston (the Smoot-marked bridge)

And I've walked on the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, thanks to a TNM&O bus driver who was good enough to stop on the bridge and let passengers wander about for a few minutes

Tom

I've done the International Bridge Walk in 2011, 2013, and 2014, and plan on doing it this year. :coffee:

Nanis

I've only ever walked along 3 bridges that are part of a real road grid. None important. All going from Busleton to some other random neighborhood in Philly. They were: Busleton Ave (Northbound to 2nd St Pike [PA State Route 232], Southbound to Frankford Ave; US 13 from Robbins St to Roosevelt Blvd, PA 532 from Welsh Rd to Bridgetown Pike;  14.32 miles long), Krewstown Rd (Northbound to Walley ave, Southbound to Algon Rd and Benton av; I think of it as a spiritual successor to Algon as Algon ends right at Krewstown; 1.86 miles long), and Verree rd (county Quadrant Route 1001) (Northbound to Busleton Av [PA 532], Southbound to Oxford Av [PA 232]; 4.3 miles long).
I would not recommend walking along Krewstown Rd.

Wow I talk a lot
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

epzik8

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge during the Bay Bridge Walk some years ago.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Beltway

Quote from: epzik8 on March 14, 2018, 12:13:21 AM
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge during the Bay Bridge Walk some years ago.

I went on one in 1987, that is where I took these photos --
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Chesa_Bay_Bridge_Walk.html

How often do they have them?  Many years there have been none.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

The Royal Gorge Bridge comes to mind.

1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

2 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

sparker

A few come to mind:
     1:  Golden Gate Bridge (about 4 times round-trip)
     2:  Brooklyn Bridge (just had to do it ca. 1989)
     3:  Colorado St. Bridge, Pasadena, CA (aka "Suicide Bridge") over Arroyo Seco south of Rose Bowl.
     4:  Deception Pass Bridges (both long south and short north) on WA 20 between Anacortes and Whidbey Island.
     5:  Like many other contributors -- Royal Gorge Bridge (actually took downward pix between slats, ca. 1985).

MikieTimT

1. Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver, B.C.  Best fireworks show I ever saw was on the bridge with reflections on the bay when they had an international fireworks contest.

2. Royal Gorge Bridge in Cañon City, CO.

3. Big Dam Bridge, Little Rock, AR.

4. Garrison Ave. US-64 (2019 Arkansas River Flood)

cl94

Quote from: cl94 on August 14, 2015, 01:57:37 PM
Brooklyn Bridge (NY)
Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls, NY/ON)
Walkway Over the Hudson (NY)
Harvard Bridge (Boston, MA)
Purple People Bridge (OH/KY)
High Line (NY)

Someone revived this thread, so I'll update the list (major bridges only):

Minneapolis Stone Arch Bridge (MN)
Harahan Bridge (AR/TN)
Smithfield Street Bridge (PA)
Francis Scott Key Bridge (DC/VA)
Congress Street Bridge (NY)
Coopers Cave Bridge (NY)
Rosendale Trestle (NY)

I'll be walking at least partway across Golden Gate in August. The Rosendale Trestle will be the main feature of this fall's Kingston roadmeet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

formulanone

It's a short list:

Golden Gate Bridge (CA, 2001)
State Street Bridge (Chicago, 2011)
Central Bridge (OH/KY, 2018)

A few steel deck Intracoastal Waterway bridges in Florida, but nothing historically significant.

webny99

My list: I did half of the Brooklyn Bridge in April 2014, and the entire Golden Gate Bridge in June 2017.
A couple maybes: Rochester's Ford Street Bridge, which has awesome views of the city, and a bike ride across the Mississippi River near downtown Minneapolis.

Pretty sure that's it; short and sweet! Has anyone here walked the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls?

CtrlAltDel

There are two bridges of note that I've walked across.

First is the Wheeling Suspension Bridge. I had originally planned to drive across this one but for whatever reason, but I didn't. I'm glad I did though. The view, I thought, was magnificent.

Second is the George Washington Bridge. I decided to walk this one because I didn't particularly relish the thought of paying $13 to sit in the traffic that always seems to be there. And, for most of the (rather long) walk, I was going faster than the cars. Besides the view, the thing I remember most about this bridge was the fire trucks going back and forth.

The bridge I've crossed the most by foot is, however, likely to be the State Street Bridge over the Chicago River. For a while, that was on my walk to work, so I crossed it twice a day.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SSR_317

I've walked across (twice) a bridge I'm willing to bet that few, if any, people here (other than older, native Pittsburghers) have crossed on foot: the former "bridge to nowhere" Fort Duquesne Bridge (I-279) over the Allegheny River, at the Point of the golden triangle of downtown Pittsburgh. The reason I being that few have done this is that it is NOT a bridge that is normally open to pedestrian traffic (nor does it have scheduled "bridge walks"). But back in the summer of 1970 during the first season of then-new Three Rivers Stadium, my cousins & I went to a Pirates game. Due to delays in construction, the parking lots at the stadium were still unfinished, requiring most event attendees to park downtown and walk across the river to the stadium. The official pedestrian route was to use one of the "Three Sisters" bridges (now known as the Roberto Clemente, Andy Warhol, & Rachel Carson bridges), but this meant walking a few blocks out of the way. The Fort Duquesne bridge was officially off-limits to those on foot, since it carried an interstate highway (which then immediately ended there in the North Side borough). But the structure did have a maintenance walkway, which required a several-story climb & descent on either riverbank to access. By mid-August, local cops had given up on keeping people off of that very convenient shortcut. So we parked at the Gateway Center and walked the Bridge to Nowhere to get to the Pirates-Dodgers game!

Other significant bridges I have walked are:
∙ the iconic Golden Gate Bridge (US 101), on October 17, 1989, the day of the Loma Prieta earthquake, no less. Fortunately, I did it several hours before the temblor!
∙ the Mike O'Callaghan - Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (US 93, soon to also be I-11) over the Black Canyon of the Colorado River between NV & AZ just downstream of Hoover Dam.

Note: After posting this I discovered that the Ft. Duquesne Bridge walkway IS actually open to the public these days. Not sure when that became official, but back in 1970 it wasn't supposed to be. Does anyone know if it's twin, the Ft. Pitt Bridge, has a similar walkway and if so, is it also open to the general public?

Mr_Northside

Quote from: SSR_317 on June 22, 2018, 06:55:21 PM
Note: After posting this I discovered that the Ft. Duquesne Bridge walkway IS actually open to the public these days. Not sure when that became official, but back in 1970 it wasn't supposed to be. Does anyone know if it's twin, the Ft. Pitt Bridge, has a similar walkway and if so, is it also open to the general public?

The Ft. Duquesne Bridge has had a nice walk/bikeway for some time now.  The one end touches down (without steps) in Point State Park.  The other end used to go straight to Three Rivers Stadium.  Once that was imploded, they built some stairs and a switchback ramp on the North Shore end of the walkway.

The Ft. Pitt Bridge has a walkway that is much more utilitarian - probably the same as the the original Ft. Duquesne Bridge walkway, but it is open for public use.  I've walked and biked it quite a few times.

There is occasional talk about putting a nicer bike/ped bridge on it (and the West End Bridge as well), but it hasn't happened yet.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

SSR_317

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 28, 2018, 02:37:09 PM

The Ft. Duquesne Bridge has had a nice walk/bikeway for some time now.  The one end touches down (without steps) in Point State Park.  The other end used to go straight to Three Rivers Stadium.  Once that was imploded, they built some stairs and a switchback ramp on the North Shore end of the walkway.

The Ft. Pitt Bridge has a walkway that is much more utilitarian - probably the same as the the original Ft. Duquesne Bridge walkway, but it is open for public use.  I've walked and biked it quite a few times.

There is occasional talk about putting a nicer bike/ped bridge on it (and the West End Bridge as well), but it hasn't happened yet.
Thanks for the info!

danthecatrafficlightfan

walked across half of the golden gate bridge and back had done a quarter of the walk before   countless of bridges on hiking trails.  an out of service railroad bridge.   :hmmm: might have done more will have to think about it.  oh yeah walked across a couple of canal bridges.
on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again because Life is a Highway and i want to ride it all night long. if you're going my way i want to drive it all night long.

inkyatari

I don't know the bridge, but it was over a nondescript creek in Kentucky.  I was 6 years old.  On a family long weekend trip, we pulled up, dad saw the weight limit sign, and said to me "Looks like we're over weight! You're going to have to get out and walk it!"

When I got back in the car afterwards, he told me he was only joking.

Gah
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

PAHighways

Note: After posting this I discovered that the Ft. Duquesne Bridge walkway IS actually open to the public these days. Not sure when that became official, but back in 1970 it wasn't supposed to be.

The new, wider walkway has been open since at least the mid-1990s, as I used to cross it every day from the Three Rivers' lots on my way to work in Gateway Center in the late 1990s.

kurumi

Quote from: inkyatari on February 11, 2019, 02:24:19 PM
I don't know the bridge, but it was over a nondescript creek in Kentucky.  I was 6 years old.  On a family long weekend trip, we pulled up, dad saw the weight limit sign, and said to me "Looks like we're over weight! You're going to have to get out and walk it!"

When I got back in the car afterwards, he told me he was only joking.

Gah

Congrats, you have a Calvin Dad:

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Walked across Bidwell's Bar Bridge on CA 162.  The views with Lake Oroville low are really something to see:

https://flic.kr/p/2eGcKAZ

https://flic.kr/p/2eBB9zE

https://flic.kr/p/2dAeKFb

https://flic.kr/p/Sy6GLW

About an hour later I also walked across the 1850s Bidwell's Bar Bridge which is preserved at Bidwell Canyon Marina:

https://flic.kr/p/245Jp5pT

Bruce

Longest ones that I've walked across in their entirety:

Evergreen Point Floating Bridge (SR 520, Seattle) - 7,710 feet

New Evergreen Point Floating Bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Homer M. Hadley Memorial Floating Bridge (I-90, Seattle) - 5,811 feet

I-90 westbound on Lake Washington by SounderBruce, on Flickr

(I've also biked across both floating bridges, several times)

The Alaskan Way Viaduct (SR 99) - 5,280 feet, if that counts

Magnolia Bridge (Garfield Street, Seattle) - 3,600 feet

Magnolia Bridge eastbound by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Seattle skyline from Magnolia Bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Aurora Bridge (SR 99, Seattle) - 2,945 feet

Aurora Bridge by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Ballard Bridge (15th Avenue, Seattle) - 2,854 feet

1st Street Bridge (Los Angeles) - 1,800 feet; just to get this shot:

Gold Line leaving Downtown Los Angeles by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Plenty of shorter bridges in Seattle: Jose Rizal Bridge, Fremont Bridge, Montlake Bridge, University Bridge...

Max Rockatansky

Recently walked across the New Bidwell's Bar Bridge:

IMG_0658 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Skye

The Roebling Suspension Bridge connecting Downtown Cincinnati to Covington, KY across the Ohio River.  I typically walk one round trip a month during nice weather.

Also: The Taylor-Southgate "Purple People" Bridge.  A now pedestrian-only bridge connecting Downtown Cincinnati (near US Bank Arena) to Newport, KY (next to Newport on the Levee).

Highway63

Chain of Rocks and Royal Gorge are the only two famous enough to have names - unless the Alaskan Way Viaduct on the "99 Step Forward" weekend this year counts. I did walk most of Hoover Dam near the end of its time as part of US 93.

I guess the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge across the Missouri River would also count.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.