News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NEW features

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hotdogPi on March 27, 2024, 11:17:40 AMStill no nonbinary option, though...

Complain to SMF about that.

Voyager

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 11:16:17 AM
Quote from: IMGoph on March 27, 2024, 11:07:06 AMThere used to be a little "NEW" icon next to each post that was new since the last time I had viewed a thread. I don't see that anymore. Is that something that can be brought back in some way (or is there a setting I need to change on my end to make that happen)?

Thanks!

Soon hopefully, since it's a thing that has to be modified in the theme files to bring back. Just have to figure out how to do that.

It used to just be a toggle on/off setting in the admin panel way back when (might still be?) I think it was in the notification settings.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Voyager on March 27, 2024, 12:08:14 PM
Quote from: IMGoph on March 27, 2024, 11:07:06 AMThere used to be a little "NEW" icon next to each post that was new since the last time I had viewed a thread. I don't see that anymore. Is that something that can be brought back in some way (or is there a setting I need to change on my end to make that happen)?

Thanks!

Soon hopefully, since it's a thing that has to be modified in the theme files to bring back. Just have to figure out how to do that.

It used to just be a toggle on/off setting in the admin panel way back when (might still be?) I think it was in the notification settings.

No, it's not.  You have to mod the theme files to add it inside of threads.

vdeane

Quote from: hotdogPi on March 27, 2024, 11:17:40 AMIt's interesting that the gender marker moved from text to the Mars/Venus symbol, when Wikipedia moved away from that symbol to text a year or two ago.
I think that's a theme thing, since the TM forum has been doing that since forever, and they're on the older SMF version.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

For those of you who "at-ed" me (highlighed me by typing the @ sign and my username) -- nothing happened on my end. I didn't get any kind of notification when I logged in. Was I supposed to? Of course the only notifications I have highlighted to send an email to me are when I get a private message on the forum, so...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2024, 04:59:33 PMFor those of you who "at-ed" me (highlighed me by typing the @ sign and my username) -- nothing happened on my end. I didn't get any kind of notification when I logged in. Was I supposed to? Of course the only notifications I have highlighted to send an email to me are when I get a private message on the forum, so...

Will you @ me so I can see if anything happens on my end and I can let you know?

hotdogPi

Because the mobile webpage is streamlined, some actions are impossible, such as searching a thread rather than the entire forum.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Hunty2022

Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2024, 04:59:33 PMFor those of you who "at-ed" me (highlighed me by typing the @ sign and my username) -- nothing happened on my end. I didn't get any kind of notification when I logged in. Was I supposed to? Of course the only notifications I have highlighted to send an email to me are when I get a private message on the forum, so...

If you're on a computer, there's a little thing at the top left that says "Alerts". I saw some "notifications" in there telling me that people quoted me in threads yesterday. That might be where the @ notifications live.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

Quote from: Techknow on March 26, 2024, 11:47:07 PMAt the top of any page in the forum there's a highlight-able button that when clicked, shows links to your profile, posts, among other things.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 02:56:42 AMThere's a bar at the top of the screen with your avatar in it.  Click that and then click the big avatar, and that takes you to your profile.

Found it, thank you both.

I also like that the entire thread is now visible when typing a post, instead of just recent replies. That makes it a lot easier to insert multiple quotes as I did just now. Previously that required juggling multiple tabs.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hunty2022 on March 27, 2024, 07:33:34 PM

If you're on a computer, there's a little thing at the top left that says "Alerts". I saw some "notifications" in there telling me that people quoted me in threads yesterday. That might be where the @ notifications live.

That should be where it shows up.  I know that's where I find out when somebody 'likes' a post I've made.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on March 27, 2024, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: Techknow on March 26, 2024, 11:47:07 PMAt the top of any page in the forum there's a highlight-able button that when clicked, shows links to your profile, posts, among other things.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 02:56:42 AMThere's a bar at the top of the screen with your avatar in it.  Click that and then click the big avatar, and that takes you to your profile.

Found it, thank you both.

I also like that the entire thread is now visible when typing a post, instead of just recent replies. That makes it a lot easier to insert multiple quotes as I did just now. Previously that required juggling multiple tabs.

You can also just click the avatar (or your name) in any post of yours.  That will also take you to your profile. ;)

MATraveler128

Where did the image button go? I can't seem to find it.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hotdogPi

It's the one immediately to the right of the YouTube button.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

X99

Is there an estimate to how long it will take to restore the old forum theme? A week, a month, maybe more?

I was also going to request a temporary theme with a dark background and the new message tags turned back on, to be applied while the real forum theme is under reconstruction, but if that isn't a priority then I'm fine with what we have now.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

hbelkins

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 27, 2024, 05:06:29 PM

Will you @ me so I can see if anything happens on my end and I can let you know?

@JayhawkCO here you go

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2024, 01:56:02 PM

@JayhawkCO here you go

Yeah, nothing here either.

jlam

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2024, 01:59:43 PM

@JayhawkCO here you go

It might be in the "Alerts" section at the top since that's where all of the quotes and stuff are.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jlam on March 28, 2024, 02:16:11 PM

@JayhawkCO here you go

It might be in the "Alerts" section at the top since that's where all of the quotes and stuff are.

Nope.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: X99 on March 28, 2024, 12:59:11 PMIs there an estimate to how long it will take to restore the old forum theme? A week, a month, maybe more?

No ETA, as all the settings are different from the previous branch of SMF that we were on.  So will take some trial and error to get stuff to work right.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 28, 2024, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: jlam on March 28, 2024, 02:16:11 PM

@JayhawkCO here you go

Nope.

Check here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showalerts

You also might have to 'manually' turn on alerts for stuff like 'mentions', which should be here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=notification

JayhawkCO

I have it set up (by default, I assume) to give me an alert when I have a mention. When I click alerts at the top, I do see it there. That said, I would have assumed that it would do something similar to "My Messages" and put a count of "unread" alerts that I have next to the word Alerts and put the word in bold or something.

kphoger

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 12:11:37 PM

Thanks!

For me personally, this is the most important thing missing.  I rely heavily on the [NEW] tags.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 02:31:11 PMQuick reply...awesome.

Am I missing something?  Where is this quick reply of which you speak?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 03:53:36 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 27, 2024, 12:11:37 PM

Thanks!

For me personally, this is the most important thing missing.  I rely heavily on the [NEW] tags.

I will try to figure out how to get it back, but there's no guarantees, as the files are setup completely different now.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2024, 03:55:51 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 26, 2024, 02:31:11 PMQuick reply...awesome.

Am I missing something?  Where is this quick reply of which you speak?

For me, right below the last post in a thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.