News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by cl94 - Today at 05:27:17 PM
Nah, the reason provided by Nevada politicians is to bring money to rural Nevada. That's it. The old "build it and they will come", which does not work with rural expressway/freeway facilities. Building a new freeway in the state means lots of jobs. It's not serving state interests apart from jobs.
Off-Topic / Re: Fisker Owners Need Parts. ...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 05:21:57 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on June 18, 2024, 08:58:19 AMReading the CNN story of that, I was kind of ignorant to the apparent fact that global EV sales are falling. I know they are kind of stagnating in the US but I feel on Facebook that I see high-and-mighty Euros trashing Americans for not buying them yet they apparently aren't as well.

I don't know about that. Almost every fifth car I see on the highways now here is a Tesla. It's not the bros, it's the growing population of South Asians.

If Tesla made a run-of-the-mill pickup and not that Elmo jackass creation of the Cybertruck, I might be in that market.
Off-Topic / Re: Facebook Shenanigans
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 05:14:52 PM
I got a friend request from a longtime co-worker and friend a couple of months ago. After a brief hello, he started to sell me on Americorps in an extended series.

That clued me in and I'm reluctant to add friends ever since, even folks I've known for years.
Northeast / Re: Underappreciated Aspect of...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 05:13:25 PM
Floridas Turnpike to I-95 is the same as the NJ Turnpike to I-295.

Between Jupiter and Stuart, the two freeways run parallel. In fact at the Martin/ Palm Beach County Line SB I-95's Entering Palm Beach County is on the flip side of the NB Turnpike's Entering Martin County sign. These two routes are a lot closer than the NJ Turnpike and I-295.
https://www.aaroads.com/fl/095/i-095-s-exit-087-2.jpg
Mid-South / I-69W in Laredo
Last post by MaxConcrete - Today at 05:04:21 PM
TxDOT posted videos of the right-of-way clearance for the project.

This video provides an aerial view of the entire project corridor.

This video shows the pre-project view and the current view synchronized together. However, the pre-project view appears to be computer generated.
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 05:04:19 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on Today at 04:56:56 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 01:41:25 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on Today at 01:38:12 PMAgain, some posters are missing the point of I-11. It's not on politicians' minds because it can somehow connect Reno and Las Vegas with an interstate. It's on their minds because they want trucks to be connected Mexico to Canada.

Where, in your opinion, should I-11 connect to Canada? (I'm assuming even if they never build I-11 south of I-10, you'd consider I-19->I-10->I-11 as connected to Mexico.)
I'm just making the observation that, in 2024, new interstates are built with the thinking of trucks in mind far more than the thinking of cars in mind. I sincerely doubt that I-11 will ever extend Mexico to Canada; but I'm of the opinion that additional miles of interstate are built in today's world with truck traffic in mind first.

Completely understood, and I agree with that. But if most new interstates are built to connect to our neighbors to the north and south respectively, I just have no idea why I-11 would have those same goals. There aren't any population centers north of Reno in the U.S other than maybe Spokane or Boise, and certainly nothing in Canada. I don't see how anyone could justify extending I-11 to Reno because "it's on the way" to Canada when there's nothing in Canada to connect it to.
Northeast / Re: Underappreciated Aspect of...
Last post by TheStranger - Today at 04:59:06 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on Today at 03:59:23 PMIt is a bit surprising more relief freeways/tollways haven't been built in other parts of the nation. All the population growth and migration that has taken place in the past 20 or so years certainly calls for it.

I think it really depends on how gung-ho a state is for this sort of thing AND a mixture of local and regional willingness to have a highway be be built that doesn't itself become a development corridor.

Since I mentioned California earlier, I feel like the Mid-State Tollway project - which is not even that long mileage-wise - would be one of the few proposed within the last 30 years to fit that description, in that case a way to completely avoid both the heart of the Bay Area and metro Sacrmento - and it's been canceled for years.

On the other hand, would Texas's SH 130 be an example of a recent build of this philosophy - an eastern bypass of Austin that goes through very sparsely developed territory?  Though I recall that highway, despite its elevated speed limit, has had trouble meeting revenue goals.

Route 125 in San Diego almost could fit this thread (and itself has revenue problems) but its northernmost segment from Route 54 onwards is very suburban.
Last post by DenverBrian - Today at 04:56:56 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 01:41:25 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on Today at 01:38:12 PMAgain, some posters are missing the point of I-11. It's not on politicians' minds because it can somehow connect Reno and Las Vegas with an interstate. It's on their minds because they want trucks to be connected Mexico to Canada.

Where, in your opinion, should I-11 connect to Canada? (I'm assuming even if they never build I-11 south of I-10, you'd consider I-19->I-10->I-11 as connected to Mexico.)
I'm just making the observation that, in 2024, new interstates are built with the thinking of trucks in mind far more than the thinking of cars in mind. I sincerely doubt that I-11 will ever extend Mexico to Canada; but I'm of the opinion that additional miles of interstate are built in today's world with truck traffic in mind first.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Northern Virginia HOT Lane...
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 04:49:22 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on Today at 01:58:29 PMBTW why is it when I enter 95 SB at 123, the control city is Fredericksburg not Richmond?
Because I-95 southbound goes through Fredericksburg?
Last post by kkt - Today at 04:44:16 PM

I-11 is on politician's minds as a freeway to new suburbs of Tucson that the real estate developer doesn't have to pay for.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.