News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: peterj920 on October 05, 2020, 12:46:25 AM
Wis 127 and Wis 134 are the most pointless state highways. How are they both state highways since they don’t really go anywhere?
I've heard that WI-127 is still a thing because it connects to the Columbia County Correctional Facility. There must be some legal stuff there. WI-134 is no longer a state highway and hasn't been for some time. The shields might still be there but it's not on the trunkline system.
Edit - Okay nevermind, Wikipedia says that WI-134 still exists and I can't find any information proving otherwise, so . . .

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 08:42:10 PM
Quote from: skluth on October 04, 2020, 03:00:14 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2020, 12:19:41 AM
If one wanted to make this new southern crossing a state highway from I-41 to WI 172, and behold to WisDOT's arbitrary and silly county-based mileage 'cap', I'd decom US 141 through Green Bay.  Truncate that sucker up to Abrams.
and/or
Pull WI 54 off of Mason Street and route over 172 and I-43 to that northeast system interchange.

At first I thought you meant to Abrams in the city, near Kroll's. LOL. But I agree. There's no point to US 141 south of Abrams. It follows a convoluted route through Green Bay's West Side (Velp, Mather, Broadway, Dousman) that's mostly used by locals. I think the only reason Green Bay keeps it is the mileage cap, so they can get a new highway should one be needed. They could also route WI 57, WI 32, and especially WI 29 around the Green Bay "Beltway" for more original mileage.

Proposals for a crossing between DePere and Wrightstown go back to when I was a kid in the 60's. I've seen ideas for both Scheuring/ Heritage and Red Maple/ Rockland corridors. The Scheuring/ Heritage Road corridor is probably out considering all the development around Scheuring Road. If I still lived there, I'd include it in the current "Road Problems your city or state will never likely fix" thread in General Highway Talk. It's been arguably needed since my youth to take non-local traffic out of the Claude Allouez Bridge area.
If every route currently "inside the beltway" in Green Bay is rerouted (and US-141 removed and truncated), that would create Wisconsin's first quintuplex. I-41, US-41, WI-29, WI-32, and WI-54 would all be on the same pavement between Mason St and Shawano Ave.

The problem with putting WI-29 or WI-32 on the beltway around Green Bay, is that neither have a direct connection on the "other side."  To get back onto WI-29, you have to exit at US-141.  To get back on WI-32 you have to exit onto a couple local streets that have a fair amount of traffic already.

IMO, I would simply end WI-29 at I-41 and give WI-29 between I-43 and Kewaunee a new number.  And I would keep WI-32 on city streets.  Ashland Avenue is worthy of a state highway designation.

peterj920

Quote from: thspfc on October 05, 2020, 08:34:46 AM
Wis 127 and Wis 134 are the most pointless state highways. How are they both state highways since they don't really go anywhere?
I've heard that WI-127 is still a thing because it connects to the Columbia County Correctional Facility. There must be some legal stuff there. WI-134 is no longer a state highway and hasn't been for some time. The shields might still be there but it's not on the trunkline system.
Edit - Okay nevermind, Wikipedia says that WI-134 still exists and I can't find any information proving otherwise, so . . .

Checked the Dane County official state trunkline map and Wis 134 is still there giving the small unincorporated community of London a state highway. Wis 127 is also poorly maintained past the prison. If there was a such thing as a minimum maintenance state highway Wis 127 would qualify. I see there is work on it now but WISDOT doesn't even list it in their current projects.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 05, 2020, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 08:42:10 PM
Quote from: skluth on October 04, 2020, 03:00:14 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 03, 2020, 12:19:41 AM
If one wanted to make this new southern crossing a state highway from I-41 to WI 172, and behold to WisDOT's arbitrary and silly county-based mileage 'cap', I'd decom US 141 through Green Bay.  Truncate that sucker up to Abrams.
and/or
Pull WI 54 off of Mason Street and route over 172 and I-43 to that northeast system interchange.

At first I thought you meant to Abrams in the city, near Kroll's. LOL. But I agree. There's no point to US 141 south of Abrams. It follows a convoluted route through Green Bay's West Side (Velp, Mather, Broadway, Dousman) that's mostly used by locals. I think the only reason Green Bay keeps it is the mileage cap, so they can get a new highway should one be needed. They could also route WI 57, WI 32, and especially WI 29 around the Green Bay "Beltway" for more original mileage.

Proposals for a crossing between DePere and Wrightstown go back to when I was a kid in the 60's. I've seen ideas for both Scheuring/ Heritage and Red Maple/ Rockland corridors. The Scheuring/ Heritage Road corridor is probably out considering all the development around Scheuring Road. If I still lived there, I'd include it in the current "Road Problems your city or state will never likely fix" thread in General Highway Talk. It's been arguably needed since my youth to take non-local traffic out of the Claude Allouez Bridge area.
If every route currently "inside the beltway" in Green Bay is rerouted (and US-141 removed and truncated), that would create Wisconsin's first quintuplex. I-41, US-41, WI-29, WI-32, and WI-54 would all be on the same pavement between Mason St and Shawano Ave.

The problem with putting WI-29 or WI-32 on the beltway around Green Bay, is that neither have a direct connection on the "other side."  To get back onto WI-29, you have to exit at US-141.  To get back on WI-32 you have to exit onto a couple local streets that have a fair amount of traffic already.

IMO, I would simply end WI-29 at I-41 and give WI-29 between I-43 and Kewaunee a new number.  And I would keep WI-32 on city streets.  Ashland Avenue is worthy of a state highway designation.
Easy. Just have WI-29 backtrack slightly along current US-141 to I-43. And I would be fine with WI-32's routing staying the same, as it would not affect the creation of the quintuplex. Really that's all I care about with this.  :-D

peterj920

I guess US highway downgrades appear on WISDOT maps now. This US 51 project map liked below shows US 12/US 14/US 18 as state highways.

https://twitter.com/wisdotsouthwest/status/1313529473002766336?s=21

The Ghostbuster

I would be far more interested if there were updates on this US 51 project: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/51/default.aspx. My parents live close to Stoughton Rd. and I am much more familiar with it than US 51 between Stoughton and McFarland. I'm also getting tired of waiting for updates about the future of the 11-mile Stoughton Rd. Corridor Study Project.

hobsini2

Wis 127 and Wis 134 are the most pointless state highways. How are they both state highways since they don't really go anywhere?
Thank you on Wis 127. There's no reason that should not be an extension of County G or the unused D or L.
As for Wis 134, I think it is that way because of the fact it is on the county line. But it could be County O.
A few others that annoys me are Wis 129 and Wis 126. 129 should be US 61 and make the current US 61 a Business Route in Lancaster. 126 should be County I. It goes nowhere on the south end to warrant it being a state highway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 08, 2020, 09:49:26 PM
Thank you on Wis 127. There's no reason that should not be an extension of County G or the unused D or L.
As for Wis 134, I think it is that way because of the fact it is on the county line. But it could be County O.
A few others that annoys me are Wis 129 and Wis 126. 129 should be US 61 and make the current US 61 a Business Route in Lancaster. 126 should be County I. It goes nowhere on the south end to warrant it being a state highway.
For Wis 129, though I cannot prove it, but I think this is connected to Lancaster's politicians being afraid of being "isolated".  The state removed Lancaster from being a control point on Exit 8 (US-61 N) NB and Exit 19 (WIS-80/81) SB on US-151 - the latter in favor of Cuba City.  For both, an extra sign with Lancaster - EXIT <8/19> would have sufficed, but no! they had to be on the main one, so Cuba City was kicked off.  Theory is that this is true for 61 having to be the thru route to draw traffic to the downtown businesses.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hobsini2

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 09, 2020, 04:18:13 AM
For Wis 129, though I cannot prove it, but I think this is connected to Lancaster's politicians being afraid of being "isolated".  The state removed Lancaster from being a control point on Exit 8 (US-61 N) NB and Exit 19 (WIS-80/81) SB on US-151 - the latter in favor of Cuba City.  For both, an extra sign with Lancaster - EXIT <8/19> would have sufficed, but no! they had to be on the main one, so Cuba City was kicked off.  Theory is that this is true for 61 having to be the thru route to draw traffic to the downtown businesses.
Interesting. The sign at the 129/61 split points Lancaster Business Dist and Fennimore. They already are telling 61 traffic that this goes to the next town quicker. Oh well.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JoePCool14

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 09, 2020, 10:06:09 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on October 09, 2020, 04:18:13 AM
Interesting. The sign at the 129/61 split points Lancaster Business Dist and Fennimore. They already are telling 61 traffic that this goes to the next town quicker. Oh well.

I find the whole Lancaster US-61 situation very fascinating. How did this even end up happening in the first place?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

The Ghostbuster

The STH 129 bypass has had its present designation since 1959, it was previously designated CTH I: http://wisconsinhighways.org/listings/WiscHwys120-129.html#STH-129. The original Waukesha bypass was originally a county highway as well, in this case CTH A. In c.1983-84, the STH 59 designation replaced CTH A between Genesee Rd. and Arcadian Rd. The roadway from there northward to US 18/E. Moreland Rd. remained CTH A until 1988, when it became part of STH 164's southern extension to STH 36 near Waterford.

peterj920

The unnecessary 3 block detour around the courthouse for US 61 southbound traffic makes no sense either. US 61 has 2 way traffic through Lancaster highway except for 1 block.

thspfc

The US-61/WI-129 fiasco is really a microcosm of Wisconsin's highways. There must be somone with a lot of money, or a lot of people with a lot of combined money, who is/are set on keeping US-61 where it is. Really, it's not fooling anyone. Google Maps and other GPSes will still tell you to use WI-129. And anyways I suspect that the majority of Lancaster's thru traffic is using WI-35/WI-81 to the west into the community, to US-61/WI-35/WI-81 out of the community to the south, or vice versa, in which case WI-129 would not be relevant at all.

thspfc

Quote from: peterj920 on October 13, 2020, 03:10:21 PM
The unnecessary 3 block detour around the courthouse for US 61 southbound traffic makes no sense either. US 61 has 2 way traffic through Lancaster highway except for 1 block.
Yeah, that is dumb.

mgk920

Last week, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and the FHWA signed off on the Tier I EIS and issued a Record of Decision on a final corridor for the proposed South Crossing bypass of De Pere.

https://943jackfm.com/2020/10/26/location-for-south-bridge-connector-project-corridor-confirmed/

It will run from Packerland Dr west of I-41, south of Scheuring Rd, across the river to the County 'X'/'GV' intersection east of De Pere.

https://www.browncountywi.gov/departments/planning-and-land-services/planning/south-bridge-connector/

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on October 27, 2020, 03:44:30 PM
Last week, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and the FHWA signed off on the Tier I EIS and issued a Record of Decision on a final corridor for the proposed South Crossing bypass of De Pere.

https://943jackfm.com/2020/10/26/location-for-south-bridge-connector-project-corridor-confirmed/

It will run from Packerland Dr west of I-41, south of Scheuring Rd, across the river to the County 'X'/'GV' intersection east of De Pere.

https://www.browncountywi.gov/departments/planning-and-land-services/planning/south-bridge-connector/

Mike

I see that the bridge isn't scheduled to be built until 2030. It would be great if the state could take over the project like they did with the Tri County Expressway (Wis 441).

Revive 755

The all-way stop at the south end of the US 12 freeway by Genoa City has been replaced with a signalized intersection, complete with a dual left turn for the EB US 12.  The EB US 12 to NB County H movement is still stop controlled.

mrose

Since connecting anything to that stub is probably never going to happen, is there any talk of reconfiguring that intersection in a way that would be more suited to thru traffic on 12, or is there no point?

tchafe1978

thspfc

Quote from: tchafe1978 on November 11, 2020, 04:34:44 PM
https://madison.com/wsj/business/congestion-frustration-and-delays-come-to-an-end-as-verona-road-project-nears-completion/article_1eb102f0-bfef-5992-bc24-34f0cc5ff182.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

The Verona Rd. US 18/151 project in Madison is finally coming to an end!
It's the end of an era in Madison. In my entire life I have not known a world where Verona Road was not at least a little bit under construction. That world is now a reality. I drove it a couple weeks ago and it is quite nice. Worth dealing with the construction? Definitely not. But better really late than never.

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on November 11, 2020, 04:38:53 PM
https://madison.com/wsj/business/congestion-frustration-and-delays-come-to-an-end-as-verona-road-project-nears-completion/article_1eb102f0-bfef-5992-bc24-34f0cc5ff182.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

It's the end of an era in Madison. In my entire life I have not known a world where Verona Road was not at least a little bit under construction. That world is now a reality. I drove it a couple weeks ago and it is quite nice. Worth dealing with the construction? Definitely not. But better really late than never.
Now they just need to implement Phase 3

For those wondering - this was planned to be a free-flowing fly-under for Traffic to-from the East Beltline to Verona Road South (replacing the Jughandle Roundabout).  The state scrapped the plans.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

I-39

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 11, 2020, 06:56:30 PM

For those wondering - this was planned to be a free-flowing fly-under for Traffic to-from the East Beltline to Verona Road South (replacing the Jughandle Roundabout).  The state scrapped the plans.

I would be shocked if this ever happened. Honestly, phases 1 and 2 are more than adequate to meet the needs for a long time to come.

thspfc

Quote from: I-39 on November 11, 2020, 07:27:30 PM

I would be shocked if this ever happened. Honestly, phases 1 and 2 are more than adequate to meet the needs for a long time to come.
Right now the current interchange works fine. I think most of the problem during the construction was not the interchange itself, but the lights at Raymond, Williamsburg, and McKee (McKee especially, that was a war zone at rush hour). Southbound cars would back up in those spots at reds, which would then slow down the Beltline interchange even after the reconstruction to its current form. Now that only one light remains between US-12 and Verona, those backups no longer occur, and suddenly that interchange flows much better. With that being said, Verona is growing quickly and Epic is getting bigger by the day. We'll see how long the current setup works for. Put the over/under at 10 years.

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on November 11, 2020, 07:38:29 PM

Right now the current interchange works fine. I think most of the problem during the construction was not the interchange itself, but the lights at Raymond, Williamsburg, and McKee (McKee especially, that was a war zone at rush hour). Southbound cars would back up in those spots at reds, which would then slow down the Beltline interchange even after the reconstruction to its current form. Now that only one light remains between US-12 and Verona, those backups no longer occur, and suddenly that interchange flows much better. With that being said, Verona is growing quickly and Epic is getting bigger by the day. We'll see how long the current setup works for. Put the over/under at 10 years.
Two lights - the jughandle roundabout and Raymond. (The SPUI doesn't count ;) )

Nevertheless, it is more efficient - I agree with that.  Now if only WisDOT would not post such rediculously low speed limits at traffic lights...

they drop the limit to 40 at the Williamsburg Way Interchange.  (Granted, the ramp is close enough to the Raymond light that you risk crossovers.)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

I-39

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 12, 2020, 07:21:45 AM
Quote from: thspfc on November 11, 2020, 07:38:29 PM

Two lights - the jughandle roundabout and Raymond. (The SPUI doesn't count ;) )

Nevertheless, it is more efficient - I agree with that.  Now if only WisDOT would not post such rediculously low speed limits at traffic lights...

they drop the limit to 40 at the Williamsburg Way Interchange.  (Granted, the ramp is close enough to the Raymond light that you risk crossovers.)

They probably should have grade separated Raymond as well, but other than that the improvements are great.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.