News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcm195

May be after we are all dead and gone.

lordsutch

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 11, 2016, 08:16:28 AM
So...what's the over/under of TDOT recognizing the new designation, and putting up some "TO I-22" signs to indicate the use of US 78/Lamar Ave to get there?
I'd rate it as exceedingly unlikely, although they do have TO signs for I-155 and I-40 on US 412 so it wouldn't be completely unprecedented.

Alternatively they might sign 385 to 269 as the preferred route (when the latter is open) to try to get some through traffic off Lamar.

DeaconG

Quote from: rcm195 on June 11, 2016, 05:38:55 PM
May be after we are all dead and gone.

Oh, not quite that long I think...after all, no one expected I-22 to connect to I-65 before the Second Coming!

Give it about 2 to 4 years, with the widening of Coalburg Road it's only a matter of time before someone puts businesses there.  I wouldn't be surprised if the lots weren't already bought and zoned.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

rcm195

Oh I understand. Yeah, I would say within five years. There is only one corner, the northwest, that couldn't be developed.

codyg1985

Quote from: lordsutch on June 12, 2016, 12:48:25 AM
So...what's the over/under of TDOT recognizing the new designation, and putting up some "TO I-22" signs to indicate the use of US 78/Lamar Ave to get there?
I'd rate it as exceedingly unlikely, although they do have TO signs for I-155 and I-40 on US 412 so it wouldn't be completely unprecedented.

Alternatively they might sign 385 to 269 as the preferred route (when the latter is open) to try to get some through traffic off Lamar.

The I-22/269 interchange with some of the ramps missing may hinder that a bit.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

It's supposed to be a full interchange, and I can't see FHWA signing off on an incomplete one. All I can figure is that they put off the grading for the final two ramps until the paving contract for some reason.

codyg1985

The plan index for the paving between MS 305 and east of Macon Road indicates a full interchange between I-22 and I-269. I was trying to see if there were any sheets that pertained to grade and drain of the missing ramps, but I didn't see any.

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

msunat97

Has the countdown begun to the opening of the I-65 interchange?  Feels like we need a large clock & a parade.

Alex

Quote from: msunat97 on June 15, 2016, 09:35:39 AM
Has the countdown begun to the opening of the I-65 interchange?  Feels like we need a large clock & a parade.

H/t to codyg1985 for the article Corridor X opening Monday to drivers, yes, you can count down to 10 am on Monday morning, when the ribbon cutting takes place.  :)

MazdaStrider

If anyone plans on driving this stretch of new I-22, please share photos or videos! I am sure some of us are interested in what it looks like.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: MazdaStrider on June 15, 2016, 03:38:38 PM
If anyone plans on driving this stretch of new I-22, please share photos or videos! I am sure some of us are interested in what it looks like.

I'm definitely interested! I'm probably never going to drive down I-22, since I live so far away, so it would be nice to see how the road turned out.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

barcncpt44

Al.com has posted pictures of the completed interchange.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/sneak_peek_completed_i-22_inte.html#incart_river_home

It looks like the I-22 connection to US 31 is going to be built later.  Anyways, I plan on filming this new interchange around the 4th of July holiday weekend.  Long term I expect to see a lot of new development from the interchange all the way up to Jasper.  People living in Shelby County are getting tired of the huge traffic jams and narrow roads. 

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: MazdaStrider on June 15, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

Funny thing is that I am going to take a drive on this when I am heading towards Atlanta.  I will definitely take a video of it via my dash cam!!

BamaZeus

Looking at those pics, I don't think I've ever seen a 60mph advisory sign on an off-ramp before.  I know part of it is because of construction, but I think the speed limit isn't even 60 in that area of Birmingham.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 13, 2016, 07:18:37 AM
The plan index for the paving between MS 305 and east of Macon Road indicates a full interchange between I-22 and I-269. I was trying to see if there were any sheets that pertained to grade and drain of the missing ramps, but I didn't see any.

So sorry, but even with C/D roadways, that cloverleaf interchange still looks insufficient. Give us at least some directional ramps for the loops in the future, MSDOT.

lordsutch

Quote from: BamaZeus on June 16, 2016, 12:14:11 PM
Looking at those pics, I don't think I've ever seen a 60mph advisory sign on an off-ramp before.  I know part of it is because of construction, but I think the speed limit isn't even 60 in that area of Birmingham.

I believe the normal signed speed limit on I-65 is 60 mph from I-20/59 north through the US 31 interchange at least; I don't remember where it went/goes up to 70 off-hand.

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 16, 2016, 01:05:46 PM
So sorry, but even with C/D roadways, that cloverleaf interchange still looks insufficient. Give us at least some directional ramps for the loops in the future, MSDOT.

Considering a lot of the truck traffic will be staying on US 78 past I-269, I'd imagine the loop ramps will be adequate for the foreseeable future. (There are no flyovers at I-40 or I-55 either.)

TrevorB

From TDOT:
"Great question! We have a project in the works to widen SR 78 (Lamar Ave) in this area. Placing signs that say "To I-22" in Tennessee is something that will be evaluated and addressed during the construction of that project."

iPhone

rcm195

Just a good repaving job would be helpful on Lamar Ave. Have any of you seen the potholes?? Some look like craters!

The Ghostbuster

SR 78? Does that mean US 78 will be truncated? Or was it just a typo?

sparker

Probably just a typo, since US 78/Lamar Ave. is also TN SR4 -- and has been since day one!

freebrickproductions

Not sure if this was mentioned, but there's a plethora of neutered I-22 shields around the end of I-22 in Birmingham, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TrevorB

Quote from: sparker on June 17, 2016, 05:38:20 PM
Probably just a typo, since US 78/Lamar Ave. is also TN SR4 -- and has been since day one!

Although it would make some sense if eventually MS removes US 78 from I-22 and moves it to present day 178 (parallel to I-22). That would force Tennessee to change it to a State Route.

sparker

Not necessarily, as SR 4 is simply an internal number; Lamar Ave. has always been posted as US 78, with the original alignment diverging from the present divided highway about a half-mile NW of the TN/MS state line.  If MS were indeed to shift US 78 to present MS 178 (the old road), it's likely -- if TN were to participate in such a shift -- that US 78 would simply utilize the original alignment NW from the state line to the present junction of Lamar and the extension of the present US 78 freeway in MS.  In all likelihood, either the relocated US 78 or the divided freeway access in TN would retain the SR 4 designation, with the other becoming a "spur 4".  But this sort of conjecture is a bit moot, as the future designation of the US 78 freeway west of the I-22/269 junction has yet to be determined.  My guess is that MS, even if they move the majority of US 78 onto MS 178, would probably shift it back onto I-22 somewhere east of I-269 in order to retain the US 78 posting, as a locally familiar number, on the remaining portion of freeway to the TN state line.

sglaughlin

Haven't heard any updates on the opening.  As of today at about 1pm, the tarps were still up on I-65 NB for I-22.  Some vehicles visible working on the segment of I-22 visible from I-65.  Coming SB on I-65 about 5:30, the tarps were still up on the sign just south of Walker Chapel Rd, the next one south was partially off (may have been wind from Friday), and the two tarps around the interchange were gone completely.  Still some vehicles on the end of I-22.  Barricades were still all there.  Will probably travel that way at lunch tomorrow (opening day) and see what's up.

jdb1234

I will be out that way tomorrow to check it out as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.