News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: codyg1985Don't forget the connector route between I-22 and I-422 that will be designated as I-6222, if the road is ever built.

FTFY.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 08, 2016, 07:30:54 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 06, 2016, 09:37:43 PM
Why did the Northern Beltway had to be numbered I-422? At the least I know, Birmingham is the only city that has a 2-digit interstate ending in it, and having a auxiliary highway in it. (Yes, I know New York has I-87/I-78, but they are spreader out in different communities) And yes, this includes Future and former routes.

Don't forget the connector route between I-22 and I-422 that will be designated as I-622, if the road is ever built.
I didn't, I just didn't add it on the list.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Interstate 69 Fan

Is the connector to US 31 open yet?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Voyager75

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 18, 2016, 07:40:56 PM
Is the connector to US 31 open yet?

If you want to walk on foot yes. I drove through there today and still no work beyond the I-65 overpasses. I don't think it will take that long to complete it if and when they actually start the work.

codyg1985

Right now there are no immediate plans to build the connector to US 31.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

edwaleni

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2016, 09:22:04 PM
Quote from: Voyager75 on October 08, 2016, 03:25:14 PM
When I drove up to Jasper early last week I took several exits to look at signage. Needless to say ALDOT has a big project on their hands if they want to properly sign the whole I-22/US-78/AL-5 corridor. 78 is going in all directions seems like in the Graysville area with no incentive to decide where 78 should be routed by ALDOT. In some places a new 22 sign was put up with the 78 sign left up just past the 22 sign. Signs are missing altogether at some on ramps to the interstate with just a directional sign on the pole. Some that are put up are worthy of The Worst of Road Signage thread. Disappointed to say the least in the quality control of our new Interstate.

In addition to the things cited above, you can add the lack of mileage signs, then the mileage signs referencing the next two exit destinations like Carbon Hill, Nauvoo, etc. in place of Memphis, Tupelo and Birmingham (until 28 miles or so out) that still needs addressing. With the exception of the newest section to the east, the mileposts are still the smaller style used typically on US and State Routes as well.

As a past traveler of I-22, mileage signs, exit services (or lack there of) but the one thing I noticed, fewer cell towers.

Call me spoiled, but it was lacking in 2 places, a large spot between Birmingham and the AL state line, and past Tupelo, MS.  A few places would try to roam, but I would get messages from Cspire or CenturyLink.

I am sure all of the above will be resolved in the next 3-5 years, but in a world of near ubiquitous cell phone coverage for all the majors, this was the first large dead spots east of the Mississippi River I had seen since the 90's.  They may have resolved it by now.

codyg1985

The Loves in Jasper on the Sunday after Thanksgiving was slammed with people. There were lines getting into the restrooms.
Cody Goodman

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 30, 2016, 08:20:29 AM
The Loves in Jasper on the Sunday after Thanksgiving was slammed with people. There were lines getting into the restrooms.
Loves is generally not known for having restrooms that accommodate more than 3-4 people at a time.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

lordsutch

Yep, it was a mess. Somehow I got in and out of the gas pump quickly, but I didn't even try to go inside.

On the other hand, the gas stations at Exit 30 (AL 129) didn't seem particularly busy driving by; they probably need to do a better job promoting their existence.

Quote from: edwaleni on November 29, 2016, 09:10:22 PM
Call me spoiled, but it was lacking in 2 places, a large spot between Birmingham and the AL state line, and past Tupelo, MS.  A few places would try to roam, but I would get messages from Cspire or CenturyLink.

T-Mobile seems to have at least gotten a basic LTE network up along the entire route now, but Sprint is still iffy from Tupelo to Birmingham (west of Tupelo it's almost continuous LTE to Memphis) - there's a bit of LTE roaming on C Spire around Fulton (just one tower that's downtown, so it doesn't really help for very far on I-22), but then you're alternating between Verizon and Sprint 3G until you get close to I-65; the Sprint towers were built along old US 78 and they've never filled in the gaps on I-22.

The speculation is that Sprint is partnering with SouthernLinc to build out rural LTE in Alabama (and the rest of the Southern Company utility area), but there haven't been any public announcements in a while on that front.

GreenLanternCorps

Google maps now has the newly open section of I-22 showing at street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5888746,-86.8559088,3a,77y,94.3h,85.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shOZM1YcDGs1SDFMjKrdQYw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The above link is in the eastbound lane under the Coalburg Road overpass.

Brandon

Having driven I-22, a welcome center near the Mississippi border, and a set of rest areas between Birmingham and Jasper would be most welcome.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

codyg1985

Quote from: Brandon on December 14, 2016, 04:53:43 PM

Having driven I-22, a welcome center near the Mississippi border, and a set of rest areas between Birmingham and Jasper would be most welcome.

There are plans for a welcome center coming into Alabama along I-22, but other than that, I don't think there are any plans for rest areas.
Cody Goodman

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 15, 2016, 07:57:10 AM
Quote from: Brandon on December 14, 2016, 04:53:43 PM

There are plans for a welcome center coming into Alabama along I-22, but other than that, I don't think there are any plans for rest areas.

They need to fix the exit signage at Hamilton.

froggie

^ What's the problem with it?

Avalanchez71

Did AL ever get US 78 ALT signed in the field?

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on December 16, 2016, 04:16:22 PM
Did AL ever get US 78 ALT signed in the field?

Not as of last month.

codyg1985

ALDOT has started co-signing US 78 again through Walker County along I-22. Also, the signs that were taken down in Jefferson County along I-22 for US 78 have also been put back up.
Cody Goodman

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 06, 2017, 03:14:46 PM
ALDOT has started co-signing US 78 again through Walker County along I-22. Also, the signs that were taken down in Jefferson County along I-22 for US 78 have also been put back up.

Are there any plans to remove US 78 from New Bankhead Hwy. and Forestdale Blvd. between Graysville and central Birmingham and reroute it over I-22?   

codyg1985

Quote from: sparker on March 06, 2017, 09:42:44 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on March 06, 2017, 03:14:46 PM
Are there any plans to remove US 78 from New Bankhead Hwy. and Forestdale Blvd. between Graysville and central Birmingham and reroute it over I-22?   

I don't think there is one. Personally, I wished US 78 could be transferred back to its former alignment in Alabama and Mississippi where possible, but that isn't gonna happen.
Cody Goodman

US71

Hopefully, they will fix the signs on 78 where it intersects 22.

Gnutella

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 08, 2016, 07:30:54 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 06, 2016, 09:37:43 PM
Why did the Northern Beltway had to be numbered I-422? At the least I know, Birmingham is the only city that has a 2-digit interstate ending in it, and having a auxiliary highway in it. (Yes, I know New York has I-87/I-78, but they are spreader out in different communities) And yes, this includes Future and former routes.

Don't forget the connector route between I-22 and I-422 that will be designated as I-622, if the road is ever built.

Sounds like Alabama will be for Interstates what Pennsylvania is for U.S. highways, with a parent numbered '22' and a shitload of children numbered 'X22.' :)

Voyager75

Came down US 31 south yesterday in Fultondale and noticed that the covered I-22 Memphis trailblazer that was to the left of the US 31 sign on this overhead has been taken down. I guess ALDOT has no plans for the I-22 extension in the foreseeable future.

Tourian

Maybe because it is so easy just go north and exit on to it at Fultondale...I haven't done that enough times to be sure but I can imagine it making the need for the 22/31 connection moot at this point.

nexus73

When doing the Oregon to Memphis trip, my friend and I went to Tupelo and had a hard time with finding a way to I-22 coming out of Memphis since Tennessee has not built their portion yet.  Once we crossed into Mississippi, it took a while for I-22 shields to show up.  What is the deal with this freeway?  It would seem to be one that by connecting Memphis and Birmingham would be rather important and finished instead of languishing uncompleted, especially on the Memphis end.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: nexus73 on January 06, 2018, 02:22:03 PM
When doing the Oregon to Memphis trip, my friend and I went to Tupelo and had a hard time with finding a way to I-22 coming out of Memphis since Tennessee has not built their portion yet.  Once we crossed into Mississippi, it took a while for I-22 shields to show up.  What is the deal with this freeway?  It would seem to be one that by connecting Memphis and Birmingham would be rather important and finished instead of languishing uncompleted, especially on the Memphis end.

Simplest answer is that I-22 ends at I-269.

While I have no doubt that Mississippi would be quite willing to extend I-22 shields to the state line, TDOT has absolutely no interest in extending it to I-240, due to the expense of having to buy ROW from the trucking terminals and intermodal facility along US 78,

TDOT has plans to upgrade some of the major intersections into actual interchanges as funding permits, but more than that....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.