News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tourian

Duplexing it most or the whole way would cheapen the Interstate I think, but if we got an Old Highway 78 or better yet, an Old Bankhead Highway in return - I'd be okay with it.

Henry

I can see that happening too. In fact, I would be fine with all US Highways being silently duplexed with their Interstate counterparts if they run for 20 miles or more.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Tourian on April 09, 2014, 11:20:05 AM
Duplexing it most or the whole way would cheapen the Interstate I think, but if we got an Old Highway 78 or better yet, an Old Bankhead Highway in return - I'd be okay with it.

They do that a lot in North Carolina, all the interstates share at least part-of-the-time with a US Route.  I don't see it as a big deal really.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 28, 2011, 03:08:22 PM
Recent article discusses Cambridge Systematics study of upgrade options for Lamar Avenue.  Three primary options (with estimated cost) are as follows: (1) build interchanges at Holmes and Winchester Roads and Shelby Drive, leaving Lamar at 4 lanes ($213.2 million), (2) build interchanges at Holmes and Winchester Roads and Shelby Drive, expanding Lamar to 6 lanes ($275.1 million), and (3) fully upgrade Lamar to I-22 ($637.9 million).  Here is link:
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2011/aug/26/unlocking-lamar-planners-mull-ways-to-improve-transportation-corridor/
Quote from: codyg1985 on September 13, 2011, 07:47:02 AM
As much as I would like to see Lamar Ave upgraded to interstate standards, with the current budget climate, I don't think it will happen all at once or in it's entirety. What I would like to see is interchanges at the major intersections first (Holmes, Shelby, Winchester) along with a reconfiguration of the Getwell Rd interchange so that Lamar is the through route. Build the interchanges to interstate standards. Widen Lamar to at least six lanes through the interchanges. Build frontage roads on either end of the interchange to maintain local access. Then once the interchanges are upgraded, widen Lamar between the interchanges. As money becomes available, build frontage roads on either side of Lamar and close off access between the interchanges. Seems like that would be the best bang for the buck long-term.

I recently noticed in a January 9, 2014 Adjustment to the 2014-17 Memphis MPO TIP that some ROW acquisition is scheduled for the Lamar Corridor in FY 2015 (page 41/133 of pdf; page 31 of document):

I emailed TDOT and asked if the intent was to build an interstate-grade facility along that section.  The response:

The proposed project will consist of widening US 78 to six lanes and construct grade separate interchanges at Holmes Road.
I understand that in the beginning, TDOT was asked to looked at upgrading Lamar to Interstate Standards.  One of the reasons for upgrading to interstate standards was because I-22 could follow US78 to I-240.   The cost to upgrade would be in the billions of dollars so funding.   Another reason for upgrading was to improve the level of service through the corridor.  TDOT asked Cambridge Systems and The University of Memphis to complete a freight study on the Lamar Corridor to see what would it take to improve the level of service.   The study showed the most feasible option would be to increase Lamar to 6 lanes and construct grade separated interchanges at the Holmes, Shelby Drive, and  Winchester.

With I-22 being precluded as a possibility for the Lamar Corridor in the foreseeable future, it will now be interesting to see what location FHWA will approve as the western terminus of I-22.

rcm195

Heads up everyone. Local Jasper, Al newspaper said the westbound lane of I-22 will be closed starting Monday, April 21 from Industial Boulevard to exit 57 for repaving. Will close at 7:00AM Monday. Traffic will be diverted back to the old four lane. If you're headed west through Jasper, get ready for congestion.

codyg1985

This ALDOT construction bulletin for I-65 indicates that the completion of the I-22/I-65 interchange will now be in "Year 2015" instead of October 2014.

Quote from: rcm195 on April 17, 2014, 04:53:59 PM
Heads up everyone. Local Jasper, Al newspaper said the westbound lane of I-22 will be closed starting Monday, April 21 from Industial Boulevard to exit 57 for repaving. Will close at 7:00AM Monday. Traffic will be diverted back to the old four lane. If you're headed west through Jasper, get ready for congestion.

Here is the relevant article. At least the contractor appears to have a fine/incentive to finish the project on time.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

msunat97

Year 2015...no surprise there...Wonder when in 2015...any guesses?  Over/Under of July 2015

Henry

Quote from: msunat97 on April 18, 2014, 12:05:23 PM
Year 2015...no surprise there...Wonder when in 2015...any guesses?  Over/Under of July 2015
Or even 2016, because there's always the possibility of yet another delay.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Tourian

I'm going to go with summer of 2015. Late May.

rcm195

Another temp road closing connected to I-22. Al.com reported the Coalburg Rd has been closed until sometime in early June because the original road was in such bad shape from all the recent rains, that officials decided to close it to traffic between exit 93 and Daniel Payne Drive.

SSF

drove the diversion from exit 65 to 57 today and the congestion was not too bad.  then again, i did the diversion at about 11:15 am so that probably helped the traffic.  Of course, Jasper had a few marked units out but I am sure that was just coincidence.

also drove through Tupelo and wow, what sadness.  lots of devastation on Gloster between McCullough and 22 and on McCullough just west of Gloster.

richllewis

I posted this on the Mississippi board a few minutes ago

QuoteTupelo got hit bad. Also along US 49 going southbound in Richland, MS just barely out of Jackson. And along MS 468, and I-20 in Rankin County. There was a Chevron and Texaco that got hit along I-20 in Pelahatchie in Rankin County. Also MS 25 and MS 15 in Louisville, MS. It is going to take a long time for Tupelo MS to rebuild as well as other Mississippi communities to rebuild.

Tourian

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2014, 07:02:44 AM
This ALDOT construction bulletin for I-65 indicates that the completion of the I-22/I-65 interchange will now be in "Year 2015" instead of October 2014.

Here is the relevant article. At least the contractor appears to have a fine/incentive to finish the project on time.

Unless that first link now points to a different page, I don't see where 22 is mentioned. The Daniel Payne project is different and has nothing to do with I 22.

codyg1985

Quote from: Tourian on May 08, 2014, 11:59:39 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on April 18, 2014, 07:02:44 AM

Unless that first link now points to a different page, I don't see where 22 is mentioned. The Daniel Payne project is different and has nothing to do with I 22.

Here is what the first link says:

QuoteClosure of I-65 NB on Ramp at Daniel Payne Drive

BIRMINGHAM — Work continues on Interstate 65 as part of the Alabama Department of Transportation's project to build an interchange to connect I-65 to I-22 in Jefferson County.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Tourian

Yeah I understand that but the map below is for the Daniel Payne ramps, not 22.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 14, 2014, 06:57:00 PM
Quote from: lordsutch on October 12, 2013, 05:04:36 AM
There's an environmental assessment for the Coley Road/Barnes Crossing Road project on MDOT's FTP site. Basically it would add a partial loop around Tupelo, and also make access to the mall area from US 78 and western Tupelo easier. Most of the work is already done except the overpasses of the Trace (under construction - there will not be any access to the Trace) and the US 78 interchange.
On January 14, the Commission awarded a contract for the US 78 at Coley Road / Barnes Crossing interchange:
http://mdot.ms.gov/bidsystem_data/20131126/LETDOCS/20131126BidAwards.pdf

This MDOT Press Release reports that there will be lane closures on US 78/Future I-22 in order for beams to be set for a new bridge between Exits 81 and 85, which I assume will be for the new Coley Road/ Barnes Crossing interchange:

WHAT: The eastbound lanes of Highway 78 in Tupelo will be closed for construction crews to set beams for a new bridge. Lanes will be closed in 30 minute intervals to set the beams. Motorists should expect delays, or find alternate routes around this area. 
WHERE: The eastbound lanes of  Highway 78 between McCullough Boulevard, Exit 81, and the Natchez Trace, Exit 85, will be closed in 30 minute intervals while construction crews set new bridge beams.
WHEN: Work is scheduled to begin on Thursday, June 12 at 10:00 p.m. and is expected to conclude on Friday, June 13 at 5:00 a.m.

edit

As previously posted in another thread, the interchange is expected to be completed in late summer or early fall:

Mississippi Department of Transportation and Tupelo city officials said Monday they expect a $7.4 million bridge on what will be called West Barnes Crossing Road across the Natchez Trace to be completed no later than early August.
The bridge is part of a loop to connect North Gloster Street and U.S. Highway 78. A second bridge crossing U.S. 78 at Coley Road Extended is expected to be completed about six weeks after the Natchez Trace span ....
A traffic control signal has been installed at the Mount Vernon/West Barnes Crossing intersection, but it is not yet operational. The final roadway segment from Mount Vernon to U.S. 78 near Belden will open when a new $10.5 million bridge crossing U.S. 78 is completed in late summer or early fall.

rcm195

Just wondering if anybody saw an item on Al.com where an ALDOT official said the I22-I65 interchange would not be finished until early 2016? And the entire Corridor-X until 2017? Maybe I misread read the story? Was either Mon or Tues.

Also, how is Coalburg Rd coming along?

Tourian

Quote from: rcm195 on June 26, 2014, 09:39:45 PM
Just wondering if anybody saw an item on Al.com where an ALDOT official said the I22-I65 interchange would not be finished until early 2016? And the entire Corridor-X until 2017? Maybe I misread read the story?

No, that's how I read it as well.

msunat97

Is anyone surprised it will be 2017 before this is done?

ElPanaChevere

My partner is from Winfield, Alabama and still has his family out there. He said that the I-22/I-65 interchange is almost done. It's still a pain in the neck to have to get off and go down some country roads to get back onto US 78/I-22 though. So, it might be open by the end of this year, at the latest at least.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they have I-22 signs up now? I'd like to go out to visit his family and actually get a look myself.
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

Charles2

Quote from: ElPanaChevere on June 30, 2014, 06:39:51 PM
My partner is from Winfield, Alabama and still has his family out there. He said that the I-22/I-65 interchange is almost done. It's still a pain in the neck to have to get off and go down some country roads to get back onto US 78/I-22 though. So, it might be open by the end of this year, at the latest at least.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do they have I-22 signs up now? I'd like to go out to visit his family and actually get a look myself.

Your partner's perception is a little off.  Yes, some gantry signs are now in place on the new northbound lanes, but that is in anticipation of both the northbound and southbound lanes being routed onto the new roadway while the original roadway is rebuilt.  As of Saturday when I drove through there, these things still need to be done, in no particular order:

* The old 47th Avenue overpass that connects U.S. 31 with the landfill has to be torn down.
* Flyover ramps connecting NB I-65 with WB I-22 have to be erected over the existing roadway
* Ramps from I-22 EB to both directions of I-65 have to be erected
* The flyover ramp from NB US 31 to NB I-65 has to be erected
* The existing exit from SB I-65 to US 31 has to be closed and demolished in order for the ramp from SB I-65 to WB I-22 to be constructed
* Widening the bridge over Ellard Road and Five Mile Creek has to be completed
* The access ramp from Daniel Payne Drive (41st Avenue) to I-65 NB and I-22 is a work in progress, and that might be a charitable description

As the old saying goes, they have miles to go before they sleep.  What I don't understand is why there are not crews working on this project 24/7.

ElPanaChevere

Quote from: Charles2 on June 30, 2014, 09:02:23 PM
Quote from: ElPanaChevere on June 30, 2014, 06:39:51 PM

Your partner's perception is a little off.  Yes, some gantry signs are now in place on the new northbound lanes, but that is in anticipation of both the northbound and southbound lanes being routed onto the new roadway while the original roadway is rebuilt.  As of Saturday when I drove through there, these things still need to be done, in no particular order:

* The old 47th Avenue overpass that connects U.S. 31 with the landfill has to be torn down.
* Flyover ramps connecting NB I-65 with WB I-22 have to be erected over the existing roadway
* Ramps from I-22 EB to both directions of I-65 have to be erected
* The flyover ramp from NB US 31 to NB I-65 has to be erected
* The existing exit from SB I-65 to US 31 has to be closed and demolished in order for the ramp from SB I-65 to WB I-22 to be constructed
* Widening the bridge over Ellard Road and Five Mile Creek has to be completed
* The access ramp from Daniel Payne Drive (41st Avenue) to I-65 NB and I-22 is a work in progress, and that might be a charitable description

As the old saying goes, they have miles to go before they sleep.  What I don't understand is why there are not crews working on this project 24/7.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/02/i-22_interchange_construction_1.html Last sentence in the article.
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

SSF

that last sentence is a lie.

it will be 2015 before the interchange is open.

froggie

Poor writing in that article.  AL.com's transportation reporting has really gone downhill since Ginny MacDonald left...

rcm195

According to the Jasper newspaper, the westbound lane of I22 is to open to traffic from exit 57 to exit 65 this morning around 8 am. Both lanes will stay open to traffic through 4th of July weekend. Then the eastbound lane will close Monday the 7th, at 7 am. Supposed to be closed for 12 weeks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.