News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highways getting Truncated

Started by AcE_Wolf_287, March 30, 2020, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcE_Wolf_287

So i've Never realized why highways in the East Get Truncated? in the West they build on top of the original route so i understand, but in the east i don't Get it? Like US 21, in west Virginia and Ohio, I-77 didn't get built ontop of US 21's Original route, all the roads it was on is still here to this day, or US 25, I-75 was never built ontop the original route or infact ANY US Route in Michigan.

I Know they transfer the US Route onto the highway but US 40 in Ohio got transferred back onto its original route, but US 21/US 25/US 27 never did (if it was on the highway)

Max Rockatansky

A lot of DOTs shed maintenance of former surface routings once a limited access bypass is built.  A lot of them aren't interested in having Route duplication on what they maintain.  That was much of the driving force of what got US 27 pushed out of Michigan (the long multiplex with I-69).   

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2020, 05:29:32 PM
That was much of the driving force of what got US 27 pushed out of Michigan (the long multiplex with I-69).

That and to ease confusion with US-127 which ended at I-69 where US-27 split going on the same freeway US-127 was on.

I think it makes sense but I still think US-27 and US-127 should have switched routes in Cincinnati.

Flint1979

I-75 was built to replace US-2 north of St. Ignace in the U.P. but not sure if it was right on top of what use to be US-2.

catch22

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 30, 2020, 08:19:52 PM
I-75 was built to replace US-2 north of St. Ignace in the U.P. but not sure if it was right on top of what use to be US-2.

New routing.  Old US-2 was routed on Mackinac Trail (now H-63).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 30, 2020, 08:16:56 PM

That was much of the driving force of what got US 27 pushed out of Michigan (the long multiplex with I-69).

That and to ease confusion with US-127 which ended at I-69 where US-27 split going on the same freeway US-127 was on.

I think it makes sense but I still think US-27 and US-127 should have switched routes in Cincinnati.

Yes, but if MDOT had retained all that surface highway mileage I bet US 27 would still be around. US 92 for example functionally has been replaced by I-4 but the surface mileage of the former was retained.  To that end it makes no sense to renumber or dispose of US 92.  There are many of segments like that on the East Coast which becomes less common the further west you go. 

oscar

Then you have unusual truncations on my stomping grounds:

Hawaii 130, truncated by lava flows (Madame Pele also more recently trashed parts of some nearby county routes)

Alaska 10 (Cordova segment), effectively truncated by 2011 bridge washout which may never be repaired (some of the highway beyond that washout survives, but with no way to drive there)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2020, 08:40:09 PM

Yes, but if MDOT had retained all that surface highway mileage I bet US 27 would still be around. US 92 for example functionally has been replaced by I-4 but the surface mileage of the former was retained.  To that end it makes no sense to renumber or dispose of US 92.  There are many of segments like that on the East Coast which becomes less common the further west you go.

Could you explain surface mileage, what i'm saying is why truncate the highway if thw surface road is still there and functioning for the public, yes it "technically" gets replaced BUT, its a good wa through towns,

for Ex, I Don't take I-77 down to Downtown Columbia, I US 21 because
1. US 21 is right off the road i am,
2. it directly goes through the town, unlike I-77,
3. Less Traffic

it still puzzles me that some US Routes were put onto Interstate Highways (Like US 40 on I-70) but then put back onto surface road, but other Routes (Like US 21) Wasn't

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 30, 2020, 09:12:14 PM

Could you explain surface mileage, what i'm saying is why truncate the highway if thw surface road is still there and functioning for the public, yes it "technically" gets replaced BUT, its a good wa through towns,

3. Less Traffic

it still puzzles me that some US Routes were put onto Interstate Highways (Like US 40 on I-70) but then put back onto surface road, but other Routes (Like US 21) Wasn't

Most State DOTs that relinquish older routes don't want to keep them on US Route and State Highway logs because they don't maintain them.  Most local agencies don't want the responsibility of maintaining through signage for something like a Stats Highway or US Route.  In many instances it is simpler and cheaper to multiplex routes onto freeways when possible. 

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2020, 09:21:10 PM

3. Less Traffic

Most State DOTs that relinquish older routes don't want to keep them on US Route and State Highway logs because they don't maintain them.  Most local agencies don't want the responsibility of maintaining through signage for something like a Stats Highway or US Route.  In many instances it is simpler and cheaper to multiplex routes onto freeways when possible.

Like, Overlapping them onto highways, i don't really care, its just when they completly truncate it out of the state even if the town located on them needs it, but i guess the department is trying to save money

Flint1979

Yup. I was just in US-92's neighborhood and there is US-192 as well.

Flint1979

3. Less Traffic

Usually they turn it over to local control so they don't have to maintain it anymore. It's no longer they through route but most of the time makes a good alternate route.

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 30, 2020, 09:56:17 PM

3. Less Traffic

Usually they turn it over to local control so they don't have to maintain it anymore. It's no longer they through route but most of the time makes a good alternate route.

See, if the US Highway was built ontop of, I would Understand truncating the highway, but i guess the state deptarment doesn't want to deal with the Highway anymore, but even then if they turn it into s state route, you might as well keep the US highway.

Verlanka

How about I-80 replacing US 40 west of SLC?

Flint1979

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 30, 2020, 10:24:39 PM

3. Less Traffic

See, if the US Highway was built ontop of, I would Understand truncating the highway, but i guess the state deptarment doesn't want to deal with the Highway anymore, but even then if they turn it into s state route, you might as well keep the US highway.
US routes have more guidelines you have to follow where a state highway is up to the state to decide on.

Flint1979

Ohio has SR-25 that replaced some of old US-25 between Cygnet and Toledo. Same in Michigan M-25 replaced some of old US-25 which was also replaced by M-3, M-85, I-94 and I-75.

Michigan also has M-27 and M-227 as well of course US-127 and I-75 that replaced some of old US-27. Also the business routes were all part of old US-27 and there is a road in Michigan simply called Old 27.

Some of US-24 was switched as well at one time being part of US-25. It runs on what use to be US-25 in Maumee for about 4 miles.

GaryV

Quote from: catch22 on March 30, 2020, 08:28:27 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 30, 2020, 08:19:52 PM

New routing.  Old US-2 was routed on Mackinac Trail (now H-63).

And an older routing was on what is now M-129 and M-134.

Michigan is a good example of decommissioning US routes (and state routes like M-76) as they were functionally replaced* by the Interstates.  Some portions were retained as state highways, such as M-27 in the northern LP.  Often there were business routes established that took the "old road" through town.  Some of those routes have been turned back to local control - sometimes because the city asked to take control so they could make changes.

The roads that were decommissioned are mostly local county roads now.  They were needed as roads to provide access to the adjoining properties.  But they seldom have any appreciable traffic volumes.  Or those that do have some traffic are no more busy than other county roads that were never US or M routes.

Several old routings of US-10 and US-23 in were retained as state highways after I-75 took over, because they had traffic volumes that warranted it.  Obviously something like Woodward Ave from Detroit to Pontiac.  But also several other state highways exist from the Ohio border to the Saginaw Bay area.

* I say functionally replaced, because except for a few small portions, the Interstate is on a different route.  There may not have been space to build the freeway on the existing right of way.

EDIT: Another thought:  US highways (23, 27/127, 31, 131) that were upgraded to freeways, but kept their US number.  The former non-freeway route is usually a local road now.  A few are unsigned state highways - meaning the state retains maintenance costs.

Flint1979

I-69 replacing M-78 and M-21 east of Flint as well.

Flint1979

A good example of Old US-27 is between St. Johns and Lansing. Coming south out of St. Johns the business route turns east at Price Road but is still state maintained all the way to Lansing.

M-13 north of Bay City replaced an old stretch of US-23. This stretch has one of the most popular restaurant's in Michigan along it, it's called Turkey Roost and you won't miss it as the building is colored pink so you'll see it. Been there since 1955.

M-13 ends at US-23 and if there were no signs there you'd just dump into north US-23 as it's the same roadway much like US-127 use to dump into US-27 at I-69 near DeWitt but that is as a freeway, this is a four lane highway.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana truncated a few US Highways.  US 421 and US 35 were both truncated from US 12 in downtown Michigan City to US 20 on the south side of town as INDOT is pushing cities to take control of city streets.

US 33 was truncated to US 20 after the 20/31 bypass was completed as those routes became the preferred way to get from Elkhart to points west and north.

Once Michigan completed its swap of US 27 and 127 and eliminated 27 from Michigan, Indiana truncated it to Fort Wayne as the rest was just a concurrency with I-69.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: Verlanka on March 31, 2020, 05:55:42 AM
How about I-80 replacing US 40 west of SLC?
That was literally referenced in the OP.

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 30, 2020, 04:03:56 PMin the West they build on top of the original route

But not all western highways are done this way. For example, CA 99 (former US 99) follows the predecessor route through Bakersfield, Fresno and Stockton while I-5 runs to the west of those cities, and in AZ, Route 66 takes a meandering path north of the straight-running I-40. True, lots of 2dis were built on the same alignment as the 2dus they replaced, but there are places where the old and new routes deviate from each other.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Regarding US 21, I'm not positive about Ohio, but in Virginia and West Virginia, all of the former route is state-maintained.

In Virginia, the route was concurrent with US 52 all the way to the state line and beyond into downtown Bluefield. US 52 has been routed onto I-77, but the old route is signed as VA 598 and WV 598.

In West Virginia, the route was concurrent with US 19 to Beckley. Until the New River Gorge bridge was finished and US 19 was routed on that highway, US 21 was signed on the completed portion of Corridor L, then along what is now WV 16 to US 60, then concurrent with US 60 to Charleston. The original truncation was on I-77 a few miles north of Charleston, at the WV 622 exit. North of Charleston, the segments that aren't co-signed with state primary routes (WV 622, WV 34) so the primary routes can end at the interstate are signed with standalone CR 21 markers (keeping in mind that WV's "county" routes are actually state-maintained secondary routes). At CR 21's northern end, the route is designated as WV 14, and as an unsigned extension of WV 31 across the river.

I know segments in Ohio are signed state highways, but I don't know if all of old US 21 is a signed state route, or if portions are under county/township maintenance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 31, 2020, 07:30:42 AM

3. Less Traffic

US routes have more guidelines you have to follow where a state highway is up to the state to decide on.

I know the Interstates have documented standards to follow, but are you sure there are guidelines for US highways? Just from the US mileage I have witnessed myself, there is so much variability that I find that hard to believe. A lot of US Routes in West Virginia and Pennsylvania come to mind in terms of roadways that must not follow such regulations on account of their rapid descents, tight corners, etc. US 30 between Chambersburg and US 119 being a prime example.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 31, 2020, 07:30:42 AM

3. Less Traffic

It still should mean if the More Important US Highway routes can't be there on that road, then No Routes can be on that road

Max Rockatansky

As far as I know there is no AASHTO guidance that dictates that particular body maintain a US Route.  To that end there some cities that do maintain US Route signage that I'm aware of but most tend to do it on a very sub par level to the State DOTs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.