News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Most Hated Freeway in Each City

Started by kernals12, June 18, 2021, 01:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

I can nominate the Don Valley Parkway for Toronto

It has 6 lanes, but 4 when it gets downtown.

It was supposed to just carry traffic from the north, with traffic from the west going on the Spadina Expy or 400 Extension, traffic from the east going on the Scarborough Expressway...

Well, nope, all of that goes down the DVP (and some commuter trains) since the others were cancelled. It's jammed up every day in the peak direction. Also one part is always jammed up no matter if it's rush or not (just south of 401 interchange where 2 lanes from each incoming ramp (401 east, 401 west, 404) has to merge into just 3 lanes)

Although it's not really as outdated as some others, the NB acceleration lanes near the downtown entrances are really short

US20IL64

The old, old, old section of I-290/Ike Expressway* in near west burbs of Chicago, with skinny merges. Waiting for "funding" to add 4 toll lane. In city limits, it's 4 lanes each way, since 1956.

*Freeways are in CA jk,  :-D

kernals12

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 14, 2021, 11:00:54 AM
The old, old, old section of I-290/Ike Expressway* in near west burbs of Chicago, with skinny merges. Waiting for "funding" to add 4 toll lane. In city limits, it's 4 lanes each way, since 1956.

*Freeways are in CA jk,  :-D
Also, left hand exits and entrances

kernals12

I think the LIE gets the most complaints because of the prominence of the people using it to get to Manhattan but I-95 from the GW Bridge to Bridgeport, CT is definitely a close second. In the 90s, some seriously suggested putting a second deck on the Connecticut Turnpike.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on October 14, 2021, 11:35:34 AM
I think the LIE gets the most complaints because of the prominence of the people using it to get to Manhattan but I-95 from the GW Bridge to Bridgeport, CT is definitely a close second. In the 90s, some seriously suggested putting a second deck on the Connecticut Turnpike.

I-895 was hated enough that it got removed.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on October 14, 2021, 11:37:34 AM

Which 895?

hotdogPi

Quote from: kernals12 on October 14, 2021, 11:43:51 AM
Quote from: 1 on October 14, 2021, 11:37:34 AM

Which 895?

The one in New York. You were just talking about New York.
Clinched, plus MA 286

US20IL64

And NYC region calls limited access roads, ''Expressways'', too, [not LA-LA Land freeway]  ;-)  :poke:  jk!

dvferyance

The Park East Freeway oh wait it's gone that is how hated it was I guess.

Billy F 1988

Being from Missoula, I vouch for US 93. By way of segmenting this, the Flathead segment between Eureka and Kalispell is eh meh. It's okay at times so long as 'ya don't drive like a damn dummy like some in the Mission segment between Kalispell and Polson tend to do. The Evaro/Wye segment of 93 is where people seem to think they can bomb their way up and down that stretch. The Reserve Street/Bitterroot segment of 93 is where you may find a handful of ne'er-do-well's here and there. That ties in to this bumper sticker moniker of "Pray for Me - I'm on Highway 93" that's been its very identity for years even as the Bitterroot segment of 93 was converted to four lanes.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

HighwayStar

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 14, 2021, 09:13:41 PM
Being from Missoula, I vouch for US 93. By way of segmenting this, the Flathead segment between Eureka and Kalispell is eh meh. It's okay at times so long as 'ya don't drive like a damn dummy like some in the Mission segment between Kalispell and Polson tend to do. The Evaro/Wye segment of 93 is where people seem to think they can bomb their way up and down that stretch. The Reserve Street/Bitterroot segment of 93 is where you may find a handful of ne'er-do-well's here and there. That ties in to this bumper sticker moniker of "Pray for Me - I'm on Highway 93" that's been its very identity for years even as the Bitterroot segment of 93 was converted to four lanes.

US 93 as reserve street was also poorly designed and handled, with no grid of parallel streets to shift any traffic its a perpetual hell navigating that thing, worse than the main streets in some much larger cities.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

thenetwork

CLEVELAND:  As for the age factor, it would have to be I-77 between I-480 and I-490.  6-lanes and little shoulders crammed into what used to be a 4-laned US-21 Willow Freeway (built in the 40s -- 3rd laned since the 70s).

As far as overall most hated freeway ‐‐ I-480 between I-77 and I-271.  Most of the east/southeast side residents use that road that is either a Speedway or a parking lot.

And since you asked for a city's most HATED freeway:

ERIE, PA:  I-90, whose unnecessary "urban area" (!?!???) 55-MPH speed limit zone occupies over HALF of the interstate's mileage in Pennsylvania. 

And the question for decades has been...WHY???

mrcmc888

Residents of Wilmington don't tend to complain about freeways too much, but my vote would go to the Newport Freeway.  Substandard, narrow-shouldered, and it's always under construction in one form or the other.

Chrysler375Freeway

Interstate 275 in Tampa, for sure.

Flint1979

I hate I-94 from about the western terminus of M-14 all the way to 23 Mile Road.

bwana39

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 18, 2021, 09:56:56 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 18, 2021, 07:16:29 PM
I don't live there, but from visits to Austin, is it a safe assumption that I-35 wins this title?
Yes. Horrendous traffic all day on a summer Saturday when I visited in 2019. Even really busy at 9 PM at night.

Houston would likely be the Pierce Elevated.

Baton Rouge would be I-10 between I-110 and I-12.

Why the Pierce Elevated? From a traffic perspective it moves pretty well. I think the hate is from the perspective of urbanists that want it gone.  610 is clearly more congested as are the Gulf, Eastex, and Southwest Freeways.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 20, 2021, 07:03:51 PM
I don't live there, but from visits to Austin, is it a safe assumption that I-35 wins this title?
Yes. Horrendous traffic all day on a summer Saturday when I visited in 2019. Even really busy at 9 PM at night.

35 is the easy winner for Austin. Houston's the West Loop, not the Pierce Elevated. Dallas historically was the Central Expressway, then LBJ north, but both are fairly good now after their respective reconstructions. I'm not sure what the winner now is.

In Dallas it is probably Stemmons especially from SH-183 on in . LBJ is still a mess east of Central Expressway.

https://abc13.com/houston-traffic-texas-most-congested-highways-roadway-in-texas-am-transportation-institute/8463669/

hotdogPi

Quote from: bwana39 on December 08, 2021, 09:39:03 PM

35 is the easy winner for Austin. Houston's the West Loop, not the Pierce Elevated. Dallas historically was the Central Expressway, then LBJ north, but both are fairly good now after their respective reconstructions. I'm not sure what the winner now is.

In Dallas it is probably Stemmons especially from SH-183 on in . LBJ is still a mess east of Central Expressway.

https://abc13.com/houston-traffic-texas-most-congested-highways-roadway-in-texas-am-transportation-institute/8463669/

No, in Dallas, it's probably I-345. It's so hated that people want it gone.
Clinched, plus MA 286

bwana39

Quote from: 1 on December 08, 2021, 09:40:17 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on December 08, 2021, 09:39:03 PM

No, in Dallas, it's probably I-345. It's so hated that people want it gone.

I agree the urbanists seem to want it gone... It just means the dislike is more vocal and focused, not necessarily more people feel that way.

Declan127

NYC's a traffic hell, but I believe the most hated is the Cross Bronx (I-95)
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

kernals12

Quote from: Declan127 on December 10, 2021, 08:08:51 PM
NYC's a traffic hell, but I believe the most hated is the Cross Bronx (I-95)

No way, the LIE was one of the first highways to be labelled "the world's longest parking lot"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.