News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities Served by Only One or Two 2di's

Started by Henry, September 14, 2021, 09:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

Quote from: TheStranger on September 24, 2021, 12:26:52 AM
Quote from: michravera on September 23, 2021, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2021, 01:30:21 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 17, 2021, 12:45:14 AM
56) Fresno - 0
62) Bakersfield - 0

Both of these have I-5 if you're going by metro areas. Although 5 doesn't pass through the city centers, it does go through Fresno County and Kern County.
But I-5 doesn't enter the metro areas as usually understood. If you count counties, I believe that I-15 barely enters or barely misses LA county (and a lot closer to the "continuous built up area" than I-5 does to either Fresno or Bakersfield). In fact, I-80 probably gets closer to San Jose (and, certainly closer to the "continuous built up area") than I-5 does to Fresno.
Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, Salinas, and Santa Cruz are completely off the Interstate system. Only Ventura (and maybe Santa Barbara, but I believe that there is a break) is even within a limited access roadway of the Interstate system. You can get to all of them without stop signs from the Interstate system, but not, in all cases, by any "nearly direct route" without stoplights.

Of those cities listed...

Salinas and Santa Cruz can both be reached without stoplights via partial freeway/expressway links back to the Interstates (Route 17 to I-880/I-280, US 101 to I-280/I-680)

Ventura is a direct freeway link to I-405 via US 101, so no stoplights there.  Santa Barbara is a bit further west and does involve some expressway sections of 101.

Monterey I think can be done without stoplights but takes a minimum numbered roads to get back to the Interstates from there (either 1 to 17, or 1 to 156 to 101)

SLO can be reached no-stoplight via US 101, but much more distant from the Interstates (46 might be the closest way to get to one, and it is not no-stoplight all the way east between 101 and 5)

I think that CASR-156 still has a stoplight on it Westbound a couple of km east of the CASR-1 junction. ... and there is definitely a break in the freeway regardless of how you try to get there from I-5 or even I-880.

US 89

Quote from: michravera on September 24, 2021, 02:33:19 AM
I think that CASR-156 still has a stoplight on it Westbound a couple of km east of the CASR-1 junction.

It does - at Castroville Blvd.

However, I am pretty sure 17/1 is still a valid stoplight-free route to Monterey from the Interstate system - at least I can't remember any when I drove that back in 2013.

TempoNick

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 14, 2021, 10:27:48 AM
Going by metro areas, Columbus is a notable medium-large city in the Midwest with only two 2di (I-70 and I-71), compared to many metros with a similar size with 4 (I-65/69/70/74 in Indianapolis, I-29/35/49/70 in KC, I-44/55/64/70 in St Louis, etc).

Columbus still has pretty good connectivity via US-23, US-33 and Ohio 161/37/16, just not with interstates.

michravera

Quote from: US 89 on September 24, 2021, 10:32:59 AM
Quote from: michravera on September 24, 2021, 02:33:19 AM
I think that CASR-156 still has a stoplight on it Westbound a couple of km east of the CASR-1 junction.

It does - at Castroville Blvd.

However, I am pretty sure 17/1 is still a valid stoplight-free route to Monterey from the Interstate system - at least I can't remember any when I drove that back in 2013.

... not directly if you are coming from the south or east ...

sprjus4

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 24, 2021, 12:56:27 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on September 24, 2021, 12:52:53 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on September 14, 2021, 12:06:41 PM
norfolk / hampton roads area is only served by I-64 and about a million x64's. though, from what i've read here, might eventually be hit by 87?
Correct, which will eventually connect Raleigh and Norfolk once complete, along with giving the Hampton Roads metro a proper freeway outlet to I-95 South.

However, likely at least two decades off any sort of substantial complete, with no major upgrades planned for the 50+ miles of non-limited-access segments remaining on US-17 planned over the next decade, with a few exceptions near Hertford and north of Elizabeth City, though who knows with those either nowadays.

Today, Hampton Roads is a metropolitan area of over 2 million people served by only one freeway gateway, I-64, connecting to the north and west. Arterial connections are required to connect south and northeast due to lack of proper freeway grade facilities.
I see some similarities between the Hampton Roads and the Bay Area freeway systems, starting from them being served by only one 2di, that is an E-W one. Also the amount of child routes of that one 2di.
I agree, with I-5 bypassing the area completely and connecting via another 2di (I-80) towards the north / east.

The only benefit the Bay Area is one of those many area 3di, I-580, actually fully depart the metro and properly link the region easterly towards I-5 South.

The equivalent with Hampton Roads should be an interstate corridor along US-58 connecting with I-95 and I-85 South.

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on September 24, 2021, 12:26:52 AM
Quote from: michravera on September 23, 2021, 01:02:13 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2021, 01:30:21 AM
56) Fresno - 0
62) Bakersfield - 0

Both of these have I-5 if you're going by metro areas. Although 5 doesn't pass through the city centers, it does go through Fresno County and Kern County.
But I-5 doesn't enter the metro areas as usually understood. If you count counties, I believe that I-15 barely enters or barely misses LA county (and a lot closer to the "continuous built up area" than I-5 does to either Fresno or Bakersfield). In fact, I-80 probably gets closer to San Jose (and, certainly closer to the "continuous built up area") than I-5 does to Fresno.
Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, Salinas, and Santa Cruz are completely off the Interstate system. Only Ventura (and maybe Santa Barbara, but I believe that there is a break) is even within a limited access roadway of the Interstate system. You can get to all of them without stop signs from the Interstate system, but not, in all cases, by any "nearly direct route" without stoplights.

Of those cities listed...

Salinas and Santa Cruz can both be reached without stoplights via partial freeway/expressway links back to the Interstates (Route 17 to I-880/I-280, US 101 to I-280/I-680)

Ventura is a direct freeway link to I-405 via US 101, so no stoplights there.  Santa Barbara is a bit further west and does involve some expressway sections of 101.

Monterey I think can be done without stoplights but takes a minimum numbered roads to get back to the Interstates from there (either 1 to 17, or 1 to 156 to 101)

SLO can be reached no-stoplight via US 101, but much more distant from the Interstates (46 might be the closest way to get to one, and it is not no-stoplight all the way east between 101 and 5)

They have eliminated the all the grade crossings on US-101 between Ventura and Santa Barbara, so it is now fully freeway from Goleta to downtown Los Angeles.

OracleUsr

--It seems some want to do cities; some want to do metro areas for "serve".  I would imagine the vast majority of metro areas are two or ---less 2dis.  Let's find out. (I'm sure I missed one here or there, so be kind in your corrections.  I did these from memory.)

So, out of the top 100, they have this many 2dis:
0) 2
1) 27
2) 32
3) 28
4) 9
5) 1
8) 1   

So 61 of the top 100 have two or less.

Chris
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 17, 2021, 12:36:53 AM
Besides Columbus (already mentioned), Dayton is served by only one 2di & Akron is served by two 2di. All the other cities in Ohio are either less than 100K in population, or have more than two 2dis (Cincy, Cleveland, Toledo)

Almost got it, but 74 doesn't enter Greensboro (85 does, so it's still 3).  95 doesn't enter Raleigh (closest it gets would be Benson, where it intersects with 40), and although 70S entered Washington area in the distant past, 70 stays well to the north.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

SkyPesos

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 03, 2021, 10:29:42 PM
--It seems some want to do cities; some want to do metro areas for "serve".  I would imagine the vast majority of metro areas are two or ---less 2dis.  Let's find out. (I'm sure I missed one here or there, so be kind in your corrections.  I did these from memory.)

So, out of the top 100, they have this many 2dis:
0) 2
1) 27
2) 32
3) 28
4) 9
5) 1
8) 1   

So 61 of the top 100 have two or less.

Chris
Besides Columbus (already mentioned), Dayton is served by only one 2di & Akron is served by two 2di. All the other cities in Ohio are either less than 100K in population, or have more than two 2dis (Cincy, Cleveland, Toledo)

Almost got it, but 74 doesn't enter Greensboro (85 does, so it's still 3).  95 doesn't enter Raleigh (closest it gets would be Benson, where it intersects with 40), and although 70S entered Washington area in the distant past, 70 stays well to the north.
The list above was based on metro areas....

TempoNick

I-70 is about .55 miles north of the Dayton city limits. Close enough. But then again, the Dayton Airport is part of the city so there probably is a some territory connecting the Airport to the rest of the city that I-70 has to run through.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.